Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unsafe Drivers

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
    I agree with you, but no matter what you do, there are sighted drivers out there that are way worse than she is. I am not trying to justify her still driving, but she drives alot more carefully than 9/10th of the people I see on the road. Young kids are 90% more dangerous than most seniors are, we should take their licenses away as well right?
    I don't want you to think I'm picking on the elderly, I'm almost sixty and my time is coming. I do see a difference between the unsafe young or new driver and the unsafe elderly driver. It's the same sort of difference I think about when applying very costly medical procedures to folks. I have some hope, some expectation that with a potential for longer life, the younger driver will improve his or her skills before they kill themselves or others. The elderly unsafe driver has little potential to improve what time and age has diminished.

I had twelve major surgeries between the ages of five and seven. They were life saving but painful and the recovery was devistating, I weighed twenty eight pounds at age seven! I would hate to endure such pain late in life where the potential for sustaining life is so limited. We don't know how to accept age and what it brings including death. On the subject of driving in the past three or four years laws have been passed to make earning a permit and driver's license much more difficult. Little or nothing has been done to retest adults including the eldely to determine their skills. Frank

Comment

The simple solution to every bad driver: Just install one of these on your sevice vehicle.

or

Comment

I am 100% in favor of retesting. Some people get road tested in the country, and then move to urban areas. And car technology has changed as well...think anti-lock brakes, which didn't exist in cars when I took driver's ed 27 years ago. Bad habits are hard to break, so re-certification to identify and address those habits early on makes sense. Problem is, what are the ramifications of potentially losing one's license?

Comment

Working...
        X