Unsafe Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsafe Drivers

We recently had a 92 year old man drive his car into a eating establishment injuring 8 people including an infant. I urge those of you with an elderly parent or neighbor who is clearly losing the skill to drive, to speak up in a respectful manner and get them to stop putting themselves and others at risk. I was able to do this with my father when he had gotten very weak from age related leukemia. I told him, "Dad, youve been a good man all your life don't leave this earth by hurting someone unintentionally". He listened, and understood what had to be done. I know it must be hard to lose the freedom that driving one's own car provides, but for many elderly the time comes to face that reality. Frank

Re: Unsafe Drivers

You certainly have a point when it comes to some elderly drivrers however those elderly drivers are but a very small portion of the bad drivers out there. I've been telling my wife for decades that 25% of the drivers on the road shouldn't even have a driver license. In the last few years I have seriously considered raising that number to 35% or even higher. People, when driving, the main job of your left hand is to be used for signaling a turn not for holding your cell phone! Do not pass me just so you can then slow down! A Stop Sign means just that, stop! The list could go on and on. I submit that if a Police Officer was to follow 25-35% of the licensed drivers around for just a single day that he could write them up with enough tickets that they would run out of points and lose their license.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      You certainly have a point when it comes to some elderly drivrers however those elderly drivers are but a very small portion of the bad drivers out there. I've been telling my wife for decades that 25% of the drivers on the road shouldn't even have a driver license. In the last few years I have seriously considered raising that number to 35% or even higher. People, when driving, the main job of your left hand is to be used for signaling a turn not for holding your cell phone! Do not pass me just so you can then slow down! A Stop Sign means just that, stop! The list could go on and on. I submit that if a Police Officer was to follow 25-35% of the licensed drivers around for just a single day that he could write them up with enough tickets that they would run out of points and lose their license.
      I agree completely. Years ago I might see a guy reading a map or looking at a newspaper while driving, the occassional woman brushing her hair or putting on makeup, but it's gotten much worse. Women seem to be driving as agressively as men, folks texting or talking on cell phones and even trying to look at laptop screens while driving. I mentioned the elderly only because of that incident and in the hopes that even a small opportunity to make the roads safer is better than nothing.

Comment

while driving a truck around the country you would be amazed at the things i have seen......... sad really, and age really doesn't play the role you really think it would. it is all ages.
        Last edited by oldslowchevy; 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I considered myself a safe driver while at work, traveling the city streets in big construction trucks I was always sure to go slow and watch for kids. I can't say the same for my commute to and from work in my own car, I drove way too fast. I always had good tires and brakes, but that's no excuse and with how fast I drove. I admit I was very lucky and feel very bad about it now.

Comment

my person favorite is the 75 mph 5 lane switch cut off 8 people and 2 big trucks just so you can get that exit you just about missed cause you were to busy eat drinking talking on the phone while ajusting the radio and looking for your razor move. that is my absoulte favorite. i just love that move
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Yep, it's not just the geezers..Although in the last month I have been hit by 2 . 1 rearended me while I was at a complete stop and last week another blew through cones on the job and raked my truck all the way down..86 yr. old vet He was fine though..Every days a new adventure..I have friends that are all about the road rage ..I refuse to be baited into it..I avoid it at all costs..It is getting scary out there ..Be safe
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Actually, I think it's very few "geezers", when compared to the "cell phone" or other distractions that lead to costly and/or deadly accidents. I don't know the statistics though... just my feelings and observations with 50 years of driving experience.

The problem is that nobody really wants to fix the problem, other than to pass laws that really can't be inforced. Like how does one enforce the cell phone law or "texting". I can drive a 100 miles or more and maybe only see one police car... and they're equipped to detect and handle speed violations and little more.

But with consideration to today's electronics, detection of a moving cell phone signal would be comparatively simple. Likewise would be the activity (or inattention of a driver). I believe at least one car company is already marketing a sensing device. It would take very little to have cell networks monitored by computer systems designed to locate and detect "moving" violations. I quite imagine it would be a contest between the ACLU and the mobile phone provider as to who would be screaming the loudest though. With the phone companies, big money is being made off the negligence and irresponsibility of their subscribers.

I have a real problem with "cell phone" usage, both in and out of the car. Likewise, those people who don't have a clue for what a turn-signal is for and/or those driver's who think they are the only one's on the road. My list isn't particularly big, but if I were King, I'd sure know how to deal with it:

"Turn Signals"... onboard computer detects the car making a right angle turn at anything over a certain speed without the driver initiating a timely signal, would just electronically shut off the engine for a length of time and record the problem.

Cell Phone in use while mobile (over a certain speed), would be interupted with an audio request as to whether it was an emergency?... press any key! In which it would react with an automatic 911 call and location of the cell phone. If no key is pushed, it would automatically shut off the phone, requiring an authorized phone provider "reset". That would only be done, after a "violation" was paid. That violation would be entered into the person's cell record and if violation continue, they would be denied service.

Electronic detection of driver inactivity, or unsafe conditions in the vehicle, such as loud noise, vibration, erratic movement of the occupants or the vehicle, would trigger a shutdown of the vehicle and a location signal sent to the police. It would also record the activity on the vehicle's computer for transfer to the arresting police officer for prosecution.

A bit of a Draconian imagination on my part, but seeing the activity that endangers others, it would appear to be long overdue, for the public good.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  my person favorite is the 75 mph 5 lane switch cut off 8 people and 2 big trucks just so you can get that exit you just about missed cause you were to busy eat drinking talking on the phone while ajusting the radio and looking for your razor move. that is my absoulte favorite. i just love that move
                  Over the last few years, I'm noticing people getting in the turning lane doing a buck 90 just to time the light and beat out the line of traffic that was in front of them.

I also agree..you have people driving like days of thunder on the outside lane, just to cross back over 3 lanes to get off an exit.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    Over the last few years, I'm noticing people getting in the turning lane doing a buck 90 just to time the light and beat out the line of traffic that was in front of them.

I also agree..you have people driving like days of thunder on the outside lane, just to cross back over 3 lanes to get off an exit.

You guys following me.

In a very serious tone...I saw it.I finally saw it.Two days ago I was in the fast lane of northbound,she was High tumbling towards me in the southbound fast lane at 75mph,side over side with her beautifull long blonde hair thrashing around inside of her newer white SUV.All lanes around her were tire smoking sideways car chaos,air filled with flying debris.The personal level eclipses anything you think you are ready for.Totally surreal.Tried to get slowed down safely to stop but traffic kept pushing me.It is terrifyingly scary and sad thinking if she is going to live or die watching her undercarriage dissapear in the mirror.Immediate reactionary prayers and tears.

The cars are faster and smoother.people can't tell the difference between 65 or 95.One swerve with an overcorrect and it's over.Our culture pushes people to complacently multi-task drive.
                    I myself am guilty.
                    TEACH YOUR LOVED ONES HOW TO LIVE AT THE WHEEL

Comment

Got rear-ended by someone doing around 45 mph at the end of May. 180'd the truck in the air. Head through the back window just to the right of the head restraint.

Now when the microwave is on, I black out and wake up without pants.

Be careful folks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

The cars are faster and smoother.people can't tell the difference between 65 or 95.
                        Going off the subject slightly, people complain there is no reason in the world why people need semi-automatic rifles...ok fine. Then let's make vehicles that only do the speed limit then, as there is no reason in the world for us to go faster than the posted speed limit.

Comment

Going off the subject slightly, people complain there is no reason in the world why people need semi-automatic rifles...ok fine. Then let's make vehicles that only do the speed limit then, as there is no reason in the world for us to go faster than the posted speed limit.
                          Cars don't kill people.People kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Cars don't kill people.People kill people.
                            That's right brother!!

But..I have been guilty in the past like everyone else of speeding. But I've notice as I get older, I'm slowing down for the simple reason I have more of a desire to wake up the next day.

Comment

That's right brother!!

But..I have been guilty in the past like everyone else of speeding. But I've notice as I get older, I'm slowing down for the simple reason I have more of a desire to wake up the next day.
                              I used to race my superbike('82 GS-1100e) through the local mountains in the early-mid eighties.Untouchable in town.More like a uni-cycle.It was only god that kept me out of harms way.
                              Sold both my KX-250's bout ten years ago as well.
                              Times have changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X