Brasscraft sweat stops and kissler lift spouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brasscraft sweat stops and kissler lift spouts

And I will see how many toilet shims are on the East Coast. We'll all meet back at the Bat Cave and compare notes.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
      Rick they are not even legal to sell in california.....the ones i have for sale have lead that causes cancer out there. Here is a link to the sweat kit for a chrome finish. http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/0300_W...es_Catalog.pdf.

Look half way down page 13.
      you better get rid of them soon as the guy from the mail order/ internet supply house told me today that come 01/12 the rest of the country will be lead free. don't worry, california already absorbed the cost to convert all the manufacturers into lead free brass. .25%

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        you better get rid of them soon as the guy from the mail order/ internet supply house told me today that come 01/12 the rest of the country will be lead free. don't worry, california already absorbed the cost to convert all the manufacturers into lead free brass. .25%

rick.
        Rick, I'm pretty sure the guy you were talking to told you wrong. It's January 2014 the law takes effect for the rest of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
          Uh replace the washer and put it back together? Now if they got it so hot they melted the packing they need to find another profession.
          Us Oxy/acetylene guys melt everything.

I have a 40 year old 120 unit apartment complex with all sweat stops. They're a pain in the rear.

Comment

yes, i used them for the thousands of flushometers i've installed. but those were mip adapters and the estucion had the clearance to slide them in and out. but on a true sweat valve you would need an over sized estucion to slide them back into the wall.

by the way, how did you acquire so many sweat stops? new old stock that just sat on the supply houses shelves

when i go to the supply house tomorrow, i'll have them run an inventory on hand in their 18 privately owned branches. all in calif.

rick.
            so today i ask the branch manager with 19 years under his belt, that both mark and adam also know. they don't stock them, they aren't in the system of his 18 branches, and in 19 years has never special ordered 1.

his quote to me was "it's like selling fleas to a dog"

must be a southern california thing

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
              Us Oxy/acetylene guys melt everything.

I have a 40 year old 120 unit apartment complex with all sweat stops. They're a pain in the rear.
              i hope you're replacing them with either comp. or with a c x mip adapter and fip stop. at least the next guy won't be going through the same issue.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

i hope you're replacing them with either comp. or with a c x mip adapter and fip stop. at least the next guy won't be going through the same issue.

rick.
                What's the big deal? They've lasted 40 years! Rebuild them one time in his life.

J.C.

Comment

I gotta agree with JC where he pointed out that only a light drop of oil is recommended on compression stops. Kinda grates on me when I see my guys pipe dope the nut and ferrule. I've corrected that behavior every time I've been able.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

also, I like sweat on stops. Keeps the homeowner from jacking with them.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

rick.
                      I sure am!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        What's the big deal? They've lasted 40 years! Rebuild them one time in his life.

J.C.
                        Tried replacing the washers, 9 times out 10 they don't shut off or they leak at the packing nut. Been replacing them with 1/4 turn Brass Craft comp. or 1/2" threaded ones. Most likely they've been crap for the last 30 years.

Comment

They ALL have a tendency to leak once in for around decade and then touched. Compression, sweat, whatever. Get calls when people work on there toilet 'cause of this.

If you've tried to rebuild everything internally with intermittent success, probably best that you're replacing them regardless of what type you use.

J.C.

Comment

biggest issue is lack of exercising a valve. do you really think a valve sitting in hard water for 10 years is going to turn easily after a 10 year rest.

the plastic stems have been an issue over the years as the chlorine and chlorimines have destroyed the integrity of the stems as the chemicals used in the water get stronger.

even a high quality ball valve will seize up without exercising.

brass stems angle stops are available as an option for a price.

had a kohler cross handle $40.00 satin stop fail on a simple toilet ballcock repair a few weeks ago. had to shut off the riser in the stack to swap it out.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I have to agree with TM, I have maybe installed a dozen compression stops was always taught to use sweat. With the extension tubes as shown below you dont need to be so tight to the wall that if you need to swap it out years down the line you are able too without pulling the ferrel or opening the wall,

Name:  6f373cf98a03819e5408068bde86ecee.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  2.5 KB

the rough brass ones TM is talking about we would use under a kitchen sink where cosmetics weren't of the utmost importance

Comment

you guys don't use 3 way stops under the kitchen sinks? hot for sink and hot for dishwasher.

cold for sink and cold for filtered water/ instant hot.

must be a west coast thing as between mark, my buddy steve and myself, with over 110 years combined, we never have used a sweat stop. now steve did prefer a brass nipple and screw stop. i'm compression for copper stubs.

adam, any sweat stops in your 30+ years?

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X