X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa straw poll results

Our frontrunner for GOP presidential nomination is a demonstrably batshit crazy idiot with a support system so dysfunctional she can be publicly seen maladroitly misinvoking the spirit of a serial killer instead of John Wayne because they happen to share a similar name. Even if I did want a witch as my leader in chief, I wouldn't want a stupid one.

All I can conclude is that the presidency no longer matters, there is something significant going on somewhere else, and the election is a show staged to distract me and keep me from noticing that something.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Iowa straw poll results

Well keep in mind. It IS only a presidency. We DO have things called checks and balances. In otherwords, a president is not king. In my view, a presidency is in a relatively weak position, where, the position is at the mercy of whatever proposed bills are placed on the table to be voted on. No matter what is decided, the senate can still overide the decision.

Comment

I doubt Michelle will be the GOP nominee. That being said she's no worse than most of them. I'm pulling for Ron Paul. May not agree with everything he stands for, but at least he seems the most honest and sincere.
      And he doesn't shy away from interviews with media outlets, conservatives deem as having a liberal bias. Huntsman would be my next choice.

Comment

Ace, you sure seem to know Michelle personally... news flash, everyone has flaws and issues, everyone. I have personally met Michelle and shook her hand. She is not nearly as crazy as they make her out to be. Hell, look how crazy they have made Ron Paul out to be! I would love to see Ron and Michelle on the ticket personally. To be honest, I like Herman Cain the most. Perry jumping in late should make things interesting. Find it funny that the supposed front runner the media has been fanning, Romney, finished dead last, even behind Perry who wasn't even on the ballot.

I want some one to go in and slash the budget 10% across the board, nothing is sacred. Social programs at the federal level scrapped and sent back to the individual states. Same thing for education, dismantle the federal institution and let the states run their own public education system the way they see fit. There is NO reason our federal government needs to be the size that it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          Ace, you sure seem to know Michelle personally... news flash, everyone has flaws and issues, everyone. I have personally met Michelle and shook her hand. She is not nearly as crazy as they make her out to be. Hell, look how crazy they have made Ron Paul out to be! I would love to see Ron and Michelle on the ticket personally. To be honest, I like Herman Cain the most. Perry jumping in late should make things interesting. Find it funny that the supposed front runner the media has been fanning, Romney, finished dead last, even behind Perry who wasn't even on the ballot.

I want some one to go in and slash the budget 10% across the board, nothing is sacred. Social programs at the federal level scrapped and sent back to the individual states. Same thing for education, dismantle the federal institution and let the states run their own public education system the way they see fit. There is NO reason our federal government needs to be the size that it is...

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            James, anyone aspiring to be president has to be a little crazy...

Comment

The Iowa straw poll is hugely overhyped. The winner is not as important as the losers. I n this case, Romney's poor showing is much more important than Bachman's win. His decision to stay out of the debt debate hurt him.

Bachmann may not be crazy... but she sure is scary. As an example, she was one of the ones that refused to support a debt ceiling increase under any circumstances. That seems an attractive and assertive position at first look, but in reality is an irrational response to the problem. Why? Government spending is a whopping 25% of the total GDP. The real effect of that spending is much more important. Keep in mind that every transaction, every time a dollar changes hands, it adds to the GDP. So those Gov't dollars, represents the 25% of GDP only considering their initial spend! Once spent, that money rattles around in the economy and every time it a dollar that originates from Gov't spending is re-spent, jacks the GDP up. Next, consider that borrowing amounts to about 42% of the Gov't spending. Thus, the borrowed amount then would be 10.5%. Bachmann (and others) that refused to increase the debt ceiling under any circumstances were, in effect, saying that they supported an overnight decrease in government spending by 42%, which would be an instant decrease in the economy of 10.5% and creating a very severe spiral that would completely tank an already sick economy. No matter how much waste and/or inappropriate spending you believe the Gov't is guilty of, a cold-turkey stop of this magnitude would be a massive disaster.

Some liken refusing to increase the debt ceiling to cutting up credit cards - but this is a vastly oversimplified analogy. When I cut up my credit cards, it reduces my debt but has no real impact on the economy as a whole. However, the Gov't charges 10.5% of GDP on their credit card. Cutting it up would probably cut GDP by 3 times that amount. The last of your problems would be default on the debt... soup lines would be the issue.

To be clear, I strongly favor a balanced budget amendment. That 42% chronic overspending needs to be cut to zero. However, the deficit budgets must be tapered to zerodover 5 to eight years, and that would have to be coupled with other policies (or discontinuation of policies) so that the lost Gov't spending would be replaced by increased private sector growth. The debt deal didn't really cut anything, it only slowed the rate of growth. As stupid as that is, it doesn't justify being stupid in the other direction about how the problem is addressed. Bachmann and the like were being stupid about it. Had she gotten her way, you would have already seen the stock markets drop 50% or more.

So, Bachmann may not be crazy, but then again she might be. Maybe it was all a calculated approach to bolster her appeal with the masses? In any case, she is very scary. As bad as the current liberal leadership has proven to be, I don't want her driving the boat, thank you.
              Last edited by Andy_M; 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I doubt Michelle will be the GOP nominee. That being said she's no worse than most of them. I'm pulling for Ron Paul. May not agree with everything he stands for, but at least he seems the most honest and sincere.
                And he doesn't shy away from interviews with media outlets, conservatives deem as having a liberal bias. Huntsman would be my next choice.
                Shocked you would say Ron Paul.

I like a lot of things Ron Paul says, just disagree with him on Military and National defense. I would absolutely vote for him if he was the Republican nominee though.

Comment

For me my favorites in no order..

Bachmann - Paul - Cain - Romney

I like Rick Santorum as well, but that's because I know his record in Pennsylvania. He's not well known anywhere else so that will hurt him.

I'd like to hear more from Rick Perry.

The only one I don't really like is Huntsman.

Comment

She's no nancy pelosi ,for sure !
                    Last edited by toolaholic; 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I also like a lot of what Ron Paul says. And totally agree that he is one of the very few in DC that I think is honest and sincere. He has studied economics for years and has a very keen understanding of banking and the economy. More importantly, he doesn't seem to be influenced by the banking and all street interests. He also is a constitutionalist, which is not only refreshing but, IMO, pretty much the right prescription for a power-drunk Government gone berserk.

However, Dr Paul says some things that IMO will preclude him fom getting the nomination, much less winning the Presidential election. During the debate this, he came off as defending Iran's (alleged) desire for a nuclear weapon. I fully understand his point... but this is a case where IMO the Iranian government (not the people) has shown that they are nothing short of completely nuts. They would likely use the weapon, and I also don't trust that they would control fissile material and keep it away from terrorists. Right now we don't have solid evidence that they can are enriching past the 4-6% needed for reactor use (90-95% is needed for a weapon) but if it became clear that they were close to a weapon, I would want their weapons program taken out. I think many US Citizens would agree. So this is a case where Ron Paul shoots himself squarely in the foot.

He also refused to increase the debt limit. RP isn't as extreme as Bachmann, who refused under any circumstance to increase it, and I suspect that he is economically savvy enough to have supported a good bill (which we didn't get). But still, he didn't do a good job of putting himself front and center as a leader in this. It was a golden opportunity for RP to take the national stage and benefit greatly, and he didn't do it.

He is against the war on drugs and Federal anti-drug laws (but not anti drug laws in general. He only says that these should be the jurisdiction of the States). He believes in traditional marriage but doesn't support laws banning gay marriage, which are not justified in the Constitution. There's other things RP says that tend to alientate certain groups and their special interests. Personally I think most of this stuff is correct... it really is not about gays or drug use, it's about the fact that the Constitution says that the Federal Government has no business dealing with such matters. But, since special interests decide elections, RP is viewed as unelectable by the Republican party. It's a shame, because based on the strength of his economics alone, he may not only repreent our best option, he may represent the only option that could get monetary policy in this country straightened out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Shocked you would say Ron Paul.

I like a lot of things Ron Paul says, just disagree with him on Military and National defense. I would absolutely vote for him if he was the Republican nominee though.
                        I like the guy. He comes off as down to earth. Not wooden like Romney or that blowhard gov. from Texas.

If I hear one more word from Obama about green jobs or touring a windmill, or battery plant. Paul will get my write-in vote.

Comment

I like the guy. He comes off as down to earth. Not wooden like Romney or that blowhard gov. from Texas.

If I hear one more word from Obama about green jobs or touring a windmill, or battery plant. Paul will get my write-in vote.
                          I'll give you the pen, cause you know darn well he's going to say it.

For me, I'm basing my voting decision on someone who has a STRONG economic background, as social issues take a distant second in my mind.

Last time Pennsylvania didn't really have a say in the candidate, because McCain already won the nomination. I think I heard on local talk radio that...that might change this time around.

Comment

I think Romney could turn our economy around because that is his specialty. He would cut spending, waste and fat without worrying about who cared. There is no way the Union could control the White House like they do with Obama. The problem is the Union would go broke if they had to fighting Romney because they are afraid of him.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                              That Romneycare will hurt him. I dont think it should. Experiments are necessary on a state level. I'm interested in what the gentlemen from Texas has to say.
                              A lot of things should of hurt Obama when he was a candidate, and it didn't. When you compare the 2, Obama's skeletons were worse so..atleast Romney admits his plan wasn't meant for the entire country as a 1 size fits all approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X