X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Man we got way too much rain today

All that water looks so devistating, and I do appoligize for taking your thread off topic,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      All that water looks so devistating, and I do appoligize for taking your thread off topic,
      No problem, I'm the one who got it of track to begin with I think.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hey, guess what? They have finally started to make repairs to the two lakes damaged in this storm 2 years ago. Sunset Lake, Mary Elmer Lake, and Seeley Lake have been drained all this time. The ecology of the area has been forever changed by the delay in making reapirs. I guess you could say that the ecology was changed when the lakes were created over 100 years ago too. I've grabbed a few pics as I have driven by over the past couple weeks and will post some later. I can understand it taking a year to get a shovel in the dirt adn start working, but 2 years seems too much. This has hurt the economy of the area too, as Sunset Lake was a popular swim area which many people from the area enjoyed. They alos held a triathalon there every June, now we've missed two of those and the event may never come back to Sunset Lake. This triathlon averaged 400 to 500 athletes. In the past I had helped out by working with the SAG wagons, water trucks, communications, etc. It usually resulted in participants staying over for two or three nights which helped local hotels, eateries, taverns, etc.

Last month (June) we received about 9 inches over our normal rainfall amount or about 12 inches total for June 2013. That averages to about 1/3" per day. I know many places out west are hurting for rain and we are getting more than normal, but not too much. My well is one that the USGS monitors to track changes in the aquifer over time. They have checked my well a half dozen times since it was drilled in 1987. As of last check (2008) the static water level in the well is 12 feet lower than 1987, so about a 7 inch drop every year. Recharging the aquifers takes a long time and lots of rain. That extra 9 inches last month helped but not as much as many think. If we could get an extra 9 inches every month for a year it might make a difference.

Some of the bridges washed out two years ago are still not repaired, and with todays economy it may never happen. This causes people to detour 3 or 4 miles to use another bridge to get where they are going, wasting gas and time on every trip.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

you think that's bad

the last 2 days, we've had just enough drizzle to make the cars dirty and turn on the wipers as needed

i don't think we got 9'' of rain in the entire season this past 10 months, oct- july.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

yeah, i have been watching the news and the wx out your way. i know it is bad and very dry. i wish i could send you a couple inches of rain, just doesn't work that way. it is drizzling here now as i write this.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

We got flogged a few years back by one of your Green-washing Climate change experts, think he was an ex politician of yours. One of Arnie's mates. Come out and banged on about our Green-Plumber scheme and courses etc. So then the MORONS in power, Steve Bracks and John Brumby, decided we needed a DESAL plant. So they got into bed with the frogs and built this ginormous joint which needs shitloads of power to run, which funny as it sounds, has only been turned on for commissioning reasons. So we taxpayers and the generations ahead are burdened with the debt of this white elephant. What the real conservationists say and believe is that we should have built dams. The green morons say you cant build dams unless you can fill them. WHat they forgot is that we, as Professional Plumbers, have the ability to pipe almost anything anywhere with the exception of them of course. Now downunder we have been getting huge downpours which could fill all of our dams if these morons only bought pipes instead of greenie votes to secure their own retirement package. Now I would suggest that next time you have to vote for these parasites you should ask them, where are we building a dam and how much pipe do you need me to supply and install

Comment

Rivers here are pretty much as dammed up as they can be from what I have read.

The only thing left is to look at using newer style wheels and more efficient generators to get power from lower dam heights. Around me where the land is pretty much flat its tough to find a dam greater than 20 feet in height on a lake or reservoir. How do you make power with only 20 feet of head? Takes some new style thinking but it can be done I believe. These would be small in scale (MWe output) but every MW counts. And in some ways a distributed generation system has more resiliency than having all your MWs in one basket so to speak (large generating stations of 1000MW capacity or more). Just like the internet its tougher to bring the whole system down if its spread across a wider area. Think about it, take out one nuke or other lage unit and 500,000 homes are dark. If you lose a 50 MW unit only a couple hundred are using candles.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Working...
                X