X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man we got way too much rain today

Everyone needs rain. We've been behind our normal rainfall amounts for the past couple months. Tha farmers have been watering like crazy which is expensive and jacks the cost of food up.

But today....today we made up for all that lost rain. Unfortunately it came all at once (in 24 hours).

In my neck of the woods we received 11 inches, it just would not stop raining.

South Jersey Floods From Heavy Rain: MyFoxPHILLY.com
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Man we got way too much rain today

no, i can't say i can see 40" in a day. That would be disasterous around here, 11 was bad enough.
    We have many bridges which are flooded or closed from the water damage. There are two rivers that run north/south which cut the county into three roughly equal size pieces, but the western most slice where I am has little in the way of civilzation, no malls, few stores, no hospital, mostly state police coverage, no full time fire dept or ems. It's mostly farm here and those guys took a beating on their crops today. I drove past acres of tomatoes which are now ruined. Jersey tomatoes are some of the best you can get. Its why Campbells and a number of the frozen food packers started up here many, many years ago. They've mostly left now (green giant, birds eye, delmonte, seabrook farms, and others) they all started here in southern nj with their frozen food business. The corn doesn't look too bad but I'll know more tomorrow when I drive in to work how widespread the damage is.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    ---------
    ---------

Comment

Here's some photos of just a few of the damaged bridges.
      Cumberland County, NJ Storm Damage
      ---------------
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

Wow what a mess. Stay safe.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Tha farmers have been watering like crazy which is expensive and jacks the cost of food up.
          sorry to here about the excess water you got,

but how does irrigating jack up the cost of food?
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It cost more to irrigate in place of normally expected rainfall doesn't it? Thats what I was referring to.

Running those diesel powered pumps day and night and maintaining them too. Labor to run all the irrigation pipe and so on. It all adds up.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

but the farmer is not reimbursed any more for that than a farmer that does not irrigate, the only thing the farmer gets is a possibility of a larger crop, not higher prices,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

but how does irrigating jack up the cost of food?[/QUOTE]

For the farmer it jacks up anything that costs when he turns on the pump
                That was one heck of a rain

Comment

IF they have a crop to harvest. If it all dries up on the vine so to speak (or gets washed away in a deluge or flood) you get zilch at the market but you have expended monies to try to bring in a crop. Yes, maybe you can't demand a higher price per bushel than the farmer who did not have to irrigate so there is no 'gain' to the farmer, but the consumer is the one who will see higher prices because of the sacristy of product.

Why is it every time there is a drought they tell us (Joe and Jane consumer) to expect higher prices for this or that because of some condition beyond the control of anyone half a crop was wiped out or every time the price of fuel goes up it somehow equates into higher costs for food because it costs more to plow a field or truck the product to various places along its way to the dinner table.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    but the farmer is not reimbursed any more for that than a farmer that does not irrigate, the only thing the farmer gets is a possibility of a larger crop, not higher prices,
                    So you are bringing in a crop and getting paid the same per bushel you did 15 years ago? I doubt it. Something drives the cost of food up. Seed, fertilizer, permits for wells (maybe you don't have those there), fuel for vehicles, labor costs, insurance, the list goes on. Somehow the farmer has to cover the increases in all these things and more that contribute to his end product; and the only way I can see to cover them is to demand more for his crop. How else can they make ends meet? They are not covering the difference with subsidies are they?
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

on most commodities the price was flat from 1974 to 2008 there was a spike in December, but dropped very fast after that. and most years only about 50% of 1974 levels, and and this year the price for wheat is is up about $2 over what it was in 1974, corn is up this year about double of the last 40 years average,
                      wheat
                      Historical Charts of Interest
                      corn
                      soybeans

only the last few years has there been any real increase in the commodities, and my guess is it more to the drop of the value of the dollar than any thing else, just like it was in 1974, and what followed in the later 70's and early 80's INFLATION. where ever thing started to climb fast, if one take the price of grains in the per 1974, and multiply it by the inflation of most ever thing else, the price of wheat would be in the $16 to $20 dollar range, and corn would be in the $12 to $15 dollar range, and that is not any where near where the prices are to day, and if one would take the 1974 price wheat would in the $60 range and corn in the $40 a bushel range,

today the price for wheat at the local elevator was $7.15 and corn bids were $7.57, that was up a little fron a few days ago. but it can drop 50 to 75 cents in one day and take weeks to months recover the drop,

and the farmer has to pay the freight to the terminal even tho some one else bought it, and the fees to the elevator to sell it. it cost our area farmers $.96 a bushel for ever bushel of wheat they sell, to sell it. and cost the corn farmer $.50 a bushel on ever bushel of corn he sells,

there are nearly no subsidize any more for the commodities
                      Last edited by BHD; 08-16-2011, 01:03 AM.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So how do you make ends meet? More yield per acre? That can only go so far.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

simple put I am having a very hard time making ends meet,

on corn there has been some good yield advancements, but the cost of seed has nearly regulated that away, in my opinion,
                          in early 80's I tried to grow dry land corn, and bag of seed, 80.000 kernels was about $35 bucks, so it cost me, for my area, that would do about 3 aces of irrigated or 5 to 6 of dry land, (I have dry land, Non irrigated) one can no longer get irrigation permits for wells in our area,
                          to day that bag of seed, is in the $300 dollar range, (I am told, no longer try corn, the dry august normally limited yield greatly on dry land),

wheat yields are nearly flat, as it is not been GMO yet, or not popular yet, and most is non Hybrid, so one can save seed and replant,
                          fertilization has helped some on wheat yields, but the yield in our area reported as 30 to 40 bushels averages, I have some very poor ground and I am nearer the 30 bushels an acre, (also to grow wheat here, there is a practice of what is called summer fallow, where you skip a year of crop to save the moisture to give your wheat crop a better chance, of yield prudential and to get germinated,) so you only grow wheat one out of ever two years, some people do a rotation with spring crops, and get a crop 2 of 3 years, by trying to growing corn or millet,(the bird seed, little white or red seeds in the bird seed) some times sun flowers are tried, but on sun flowers there is not much crop residue and the ground will blow away in the winter time,

most have tried to increase production, and get larger, so the cost per bushel is less, many are going all chemicals for weed controls, and to no till so there is less cost in tractors and equipment and fuels, a lot of it is a game of hanging on, to next years crop, and big loans.

many in our area farm 1000's of acres, (my place is small, in comparison), many have 2 to 3000 acres of wheat and some times that much in corn and many times a few circles of irrigation, and the thing is these are truly family farms many times little hired help, just large machinery, harvest would be the main time help is employed, with the current prices there is a little money to be made,

the prices this year I think will help many,
                          for example the stated average cost to grow on acer of irrigated corn is stated at $650, with an average yield of 180 bushels,
                          (not sure if that is the cost of land included),
                          but last year, the price of corn on 8-23-10 was $3.78 that was "profit" of $49 dollars an acer, so a farmer who had one circle of 130 acres, if he would have sold this time last year, would have netted, $6,370 off that land,
                          if one sells today, since the price is up from last year, the profit per acer, would be about, $754 per acer, or 130 $98030,
                          my guess there will be some bank loans payed down and some new machinery,
                          but even at that that $98,000 does not go very far, when combines are over $300,000 and tractors are over $160,000, and land is going up ever day, so to expand is not easy,

(now remember those prices are AUGUST prices not SEPTEMBER or OCTOBER, when the corn is coming in, normally there is a drop in the price the closer one gets to harvest, as the surety of a crop is there,
                          this year in the wheat the price dropped $2 dollars a bushel in the 40 days before our wheat harvest, as they knew there was plenty to meet demands here and our normal exports,

Drought is a factor, but since most droughts are local (not effecting the entire contenent), the market is global,
                          so unless it is some thing like what happened in Russia a few years ago, the price is not effected that much and my guess the current drought that is or has taken place in the south of the US is all ready factored in the grain bids,
                          (40+ years ago it would have had some effect on prices as most was considers domestic use)
                          back not that many years ago, the US had 3 years worth of domestic supplys in storage, now days eve tho the law is still valid we do not have that reserve),

now wheat is imported back into the country even when we have plenty in the bins, (remember in 2007 the pet food that was killing the pets, it was discovered the company in Kaunas that imported wheat product in from china with Melamine in it) Melamine Pet Food Recall of 2007 or Chinese Ingredients in Dog Food | Pets Adviser!

one can cuss and discuss the merits of the 3 goverment grain reserve, but it did balance out the swings in the commodies prices, ( it gave the farmer and the consumer a price one could forcast and bank on,

now days we have seen, since it undoing the reserve program, wheat in december in 2008 at $12 and then drop to nearly $4 a few months later,
                          a lot of times you will see head lines in the paper "Farmers raising prices on grains. the baker has to raise his price to pay for the wheat". what you do not read is "Price of grains at historical lows price of bread going down as grains are very cheap", (the farmer does not control his prices, the market and traders do),

really the consumer is the one really screwed in the deal, price goes up they increase price of product, it drops big time price stays up, or incresses any way, blaming some other cost, such as fuel or labor,

(now I am sure all those cost are real cost for the baker and the grocery store, but why do they not drop a long with the price drops of the same things),
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Found some videos of the storm from last week.

In this first video the road was eventually closed and remains closed a week later.
                            The water rose above the guardrail and actually washed out the guardrail for about
                            100 feet. The downstream side of the road is severely undermined and the whole
                            stretch of road will need to be rebuilt. The sad part is this section of road along with
                            an adjacent bridge was replaced last year. The road was closed for 6 months as they
                            screwed around burning ObamaBucks on an ARRA project to replace the then decrepit
                            bridge and fix the bridge approaches. This is the same section of road shown in this
                            photo found on the County website and taken from almost the same location as the video.

This second video is of the raceway in the city park. The Raceway was hand dug many years
                            ago to supply water for a water wheel which powered a mill in the 1800's. Its current use is
                            recreational as a canoe path connecting to Sunset Lake. It also channels some of the outflow
                            of the lake into the Cohansey River which empties into Delaware Bay.

Mary Elmer Lake
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oc_JTfGBxAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV_mq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBLn...eature=related

Contrary to the comments in this next video , Mary Elmer Lake dam did not 'break'.
                            It was the high volume of water fed into Sunset Lake from Mary Elmer along with
                            other sources that overcame the flood gates of Sunset Lake.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK25onUJA54

Here's the area as seen from Google Maps
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

BHD, thank you for taking the time to explain all this from your perspective (the farmer).
                              I know I, and I am sure many others, do not realize the workings of the whole system
                              and how it impacts everyone along the way. We just think about the costs that we feel,
                              and can't really appreciate those that others endure. I live in Southern New Jersey which
                              is mostly farmland, but never took much interest in farming, at least to the point of understanding
                              the operational aspects of it. I know the pains that my neighboring farmers face when WX or
                              other circumstances impact them, and then me eventually as a consumer. But I also feel it
                              as their neighbor and a member of the same community.

As I said once before running a farm is hard work. You commented then you did not think
                              it any tougher than many others lines of work but there seem to be so many variables that
                              are beyond you control that the risk for the labor put into the land is what makes it hard.
                              Hard is not always the sweat and pain, it includes the mental of worrying about when it will
                              rain again and how much will you be able to get for your crop at harvest and so on. At least
                              to me that what it entails and I thank you and every Farmer for all that you do to put food on
                              our tables. I think your contribution to our society is often under appreciated and overlooked,
                              but not by me. Not much I can do except to buy domestic grown goods and pressure my
                              Congressman to keep the foreign stuff out of our country.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              simple put I am having a very hard time making ends meet,
                              .....................much deleted................
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X