Ceramic knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic knife

OK you kitchen chemists ....any of you using a ceramic knife?
    I have the Jaccard 6" serrated bread knife.
    It cuts so thin I have been using the same tomato for four days...

there are many ceramic knives out there today from Harbor Freight to the
    "as seen on TV" types.

I came across Jaccard by accident in researching ceramic knives
    The 6 inch serrated blade also cuts a London broil thin and like butter!!!!

The other day though the blade fell out of the handle! Bummer!!! and I was slicing hard boiled eggs
    without the shells!

I spoke to Jaccard and explained what happened..they said no problem send the knife back
    with 5 dollars for shipping and we will send you a new one! man! what a great warranty!

I just ordered two more for Christmas gifts for a few family members that cook.

I have noticed prices have gone up [surprise] I paid about $33.00 for the knife in April of this year and today
    the best price I've found is at Cutlery and more.com for $35.00
    Forget E-bay as they are expensive there $49.00-$79.00

The Jaccard knives come with an included sheath to keep the blade safe and is well made..

Oh it will cut human skin quickly and cleanly if you're not careful ha ha

I really like the serrated edge compared to those with smooth edges although I also have the Jaccard
    8" chef knife. slicing turkey or prime rib is also smooth and the slices are clean.

I have no monetary interest in Jaccard or any other ceramic knife manufacturer!

So now what do I do with my Chicago cutlery?

Cactus Man

Re: Ceramic knife

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    Oh it will cut human skin quickly and cleanly if you're not careful ha ha
    Been there, done that?

I had a tactical folding knife with a ceramic blade and carbon fiber handles. Light, thin, and very easy to wound one's self with. About $90. Quickly discovered that durability wasn't among its attributes. Might have to try one for the kitchen though.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I got an 8" Jaccard for Christmas and absolutly loved it.....until it fell off the counter to the tile floor below and shattered.
      Now I'm ack to the good old Henkels
      sigpic

Comment

Complaints of the blade being brittle and prone to shattering have kept me from purchasing. Since I purchased a 1x30 bench sander and specialty belts I have no problem putting a razor sharp edge on just about any blade in no time. Don't throw away your knives, sharpen them.

Comment

I'll tell you what though, those ceramic knives are razor sharp and stay that way for a very long time. So do the pieces
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I'll tell you what though, those ceramic knives are razor sharp and stay that way for a very long time. So do the pieces
            Good warning I am forever breaking drinking glasses that are left on our kitchen counter. I bump my elbow into them and they shatter the tile floor. My wife is always pulling shards of glass out of her feet. I do my best to sweep up and vacuum but she always finds the ones that got away.

Comment

and my wife wonders why i never go in the kitchen bare footed. i learned my leason the hard way to many times.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                Any one know of a premier brand ceramic knife aka one thats suppose to be the best? Seems like a good type knife to have in the bugout bag.
                I don't own one but I believe Boker made some of the first ceramics. Here's a good video showcasing one and giving some useful info. Like the man says, very good for slicing but not for prying or hard work.

Comment

It would not be my first choice for rugged dependability and if you break it you are up the creek so to speak. for survival I would go with steel and a diamond hone
                  sigpic

Comment

Wusthof Santoku.

Santoku , CLASSIC, 4183 / 17 cm

J.C.

Comment

We are not allowed to carry knives in public as we have this tendency to kill each other as you do with guns

Tony

Comment

I don't go anywhere without a good knife...What about the good ol' Buck Knives
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          I don't go anywhere without a good knife...What about the good ol' Buck Knives
                          I carry a strong folding knife all the time except when sleeping, when I sleep it is under my pillow! A good folding knife is not just for self defense, I t could save you or someone else trapped by a faulty seatbelt. I also carry a good LED flashlight all the time and a small butane lighter.
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Can you make out the name of the top knife?
                            I have bought several knives from these folks, they are located in Ky.http://www.bladematrix.com/search.as...=14&search.y=2
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-16-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I have worn a leatherman on my belt for close to 20 years now. does that count?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X