Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Thing

The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."
    The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.
    We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.
    We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: The Green Thing

back then we heated our water in a 30 gallon tank with gas or electricity.

not some computerized tankless, overpriced, overrated tankless heater.

this green mentality thing has got to stop.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Great post! And remember Her generation saved the world from the Nazis! Then rebuilt their countrys.
      Thank God I wasn't present,I'd be in Handcuffs !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There have been several generations between the things you mentioned and the younger generation to blame. On the bottles and cans, they have brought back recycling in many states. My Dad worked in a food store many, many years ago and he said the returning bottles and cans were over run with roaches. The cloth diapers did not pollute the landfills and landscape like today's pampers, but they contributed to a lot of babies being stabbed with "safety" pins No argument that we have become energy pigs. The average 60amp service that was sufficient back in the day must now be 200amps. We are extremely wasteful.

Comment

Geesh...lighten up Franki, it was meant to be tongue in cheek .

All the crappy political stuff aound here lately has made me hungry for some smiles. I'm not done yet!
          ================================================== =================
          A recent Scottish immigrant attends his first baseball game in his new country and after a base hit he hears the fans roaring run....run! The next batter connects heavily with the ball and the Scotsman stands up and roars with the crowd in his thick accent: "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-run will ya!" A third batter slams a hit and again the Scotsman, obviously pleased with his knowledge of the game, screams "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-r-run will ya!" The next batter held his swing at three and two and as the ump calls a walk the Scotsman stands up yelling "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-r-run!" All the surrounding fans giggle quietly and he sits down confused. A friendly fan, sensing his embarassment whisper, "He doesn't have to run, he's got four balls." After this explanation the Scotsman stands up in disbelief and screams, "Walk with pr-r-ride man!"
          Last edited by BadgerDave; 08-19-2011, 11:26 AM.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If we still had the TOTW nomination this would be one for sure.
            But in these leaner times we had to cut back. The TOTW had to go I guess.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              back then we heated our water in a 30 gallon tank with gas or electricity.

not some computerized tankless, overpriced, overrated tankless heater.

this green mentality thing has got to stop.

rick.
              Thank you for saying this.

Fact is, the real "green" part of a lot of this nonsense is the money that is being made off the hype.

For example, a real end-to-end analysis, which has been done but is not given much press, shows that some of the "green" energy technologies actually consume more energy when you account for what it takes to make them, than they will ever save. Some of them consume more energy than they will ever produce.

Time was that innovation was focused on things that actually helped. Today we get twitter and facebook, solar panels and, as you said, tankless nonsense. Every dollar wasted on this baloney is a dollar not being spent on something that the world actually needs. Electric cars are cool, right? Unitl you look at the fossil fuel plants that generate the electricity and the "green" (tongue-in-cheek of course) processes needed to make the batteries.

Some of the "green" tech that makes the least sense is even being subsidized by your "green" tax dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Geesh...lighten up Franki, it was meant to be tongue in cheek .

All the crappy political stuff aound here lately has made me hungry for some smiles. I'm not done yet!
                ================================================== =================
                A recent Scottish immigrant attends his first baseball game in his new country and after a base hit he hears the fans roaring run....run! The next batter connects heavily with the ball and the Scotsman stands up and roars with the crowd in his thick accent: "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-run will ya!" A third batter slams a hit and again the Scotsman, obviously pleased with his knowledge of the game, screams "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-r-run will ya!" The next batter held his swing at three and two and as the ump calls a walk the Scotsman stands up yelling "R-r-run ya bahstard, r-r-run!" All the surrounding fans giggle quietly and he sits down confused. A friendly fan, sensing his embarassment whisper, "He doesn't have to run, he's got four balls." After this explanation the Scotsman stands up in disbelief and screams, "Walk with pr-r-ride man!"
                Dave I was being light and cheery. Why do you think I was being serious and down? I admit I'm dealing with depression at times but I am still open for a smile and laugh. Your jokes have been welcomed. Once again the Internet does not allow for reading what others are feeling as they respond. Thanks. Frank

Comment

OK, so for you guys that are not in California I figured you would get a kick out of this. Regardless of where you are located most people know that California Leeds the way in Wacky, but you have not seen crazy until you read this article. Oh, and its no joke this is really taking place.

Laguna OKs law to cut light pollution | ordinance, lighting, city - News - The Orange County Register

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Dave I was being light and cheery. Why do you think I was being serious and down? I admit I'm dealing with depression at times but I am still open for a smile and laugh. Your jokes have been welcomed. Once again the Internet does not allow for reading what others are feeling as they respond. Thanks. Frank
                    There ya go with those negative waves again.

You can help convey feelings in your posts by using the smilies.

Or actually state you were kidding and then go on and make a serious comment.
                    That is if you ever do.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Do any of you guys get the trade publications like P&M ? If you do, take a look at just how much of the magazine is dedicated to "green" Now start looking at the ad's and see how many of them are advertising "green" Ok now look at how many advertisers subliminally advertise green just by the color of the background, the text or even the product itself as if painting a circulator pump green somehow makes it green. It's all a crock. All this "green" has been hyped not because anyone gives two craps about the environment but because they want to sell product.
                      Al Gore sells toilets. How you ask. Well, guys like Al figured out a long time ago that green means money. Imagine that you are the CEO of the Mansfield toilet company. How many toilets does the average homeowner buy in a lifetime? The answer is.........None. So let's pay lobbiests to make 1.6lpf flush laws and tell everyone they need to replace that old water hog. Guess who's stock suddenly jumps a few points? Guess who has stock in the Mansfield toilet company? Now the picture gets clearer doesn't it. The OP was dead on target. It NEVER was about waste or "green" it was and is about the MONEY.

So hop on the wagon and start making some "green" money for yourself
                      Last edited by NHMaster3015; 08-19-2011, 05:04 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X