X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help thy neighbor

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Give it a rest guys, his friend and neighbor needed some assistance and instead of just telling him he didn't have time or call someone else, he helped him out in a way he could. If Rick didn't think he was capable of fixing the problem he wouldn't have even offered the tools and parts, Rick is better than that and you know it! Plus this is a home owner working on his OWN house, don't start the bull crap licence crap as it doesn't apply here.

Way to help a neighbor our Rick, we need more of you in this world!

Oh come on. I can't have any fun if I can't bust his chops.
    sigpic

Comment

As far as insurrance goes they were ricks personal tools. Not his bussisness tools he was not on a job he was in his driveway and no money exchanged hands, its all in the wording, "i hit he deer" or "the deer hit me" insurance companies are blood sucking leetchs and to many good people are terrified to do good things because of. Those voltures good on you rick id have done the same,

Comment

Many of the Pros here have been generous in giving adive but there's always the risk that someone will get hurt or nowadays sue. You are kind enough to give expert advice and end up paying for it, sad situation. I am cautious about handing out advice and more so when it comes to tools. I have neighbors I would not trust with a flashlight, so I'm not about to lend them a torch or chainsaw. You have to know when to respectfully decline, or if necessary do it for them as a neighborly freebee. frank

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          Plus this is a home owner working on his OWN house, don't start the bull crap licence crap as it doesn't apply here.
          These other guys will come up with any excuse not to help someone out even if it's the right thing to do... Maybe this type of bull crap attitude is what will help your country and economy out of all of that debt...

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            These other guys will come up with any excuse not to help someone out even if it's the right thing to do... Maybe this type of bull crap attitude is what will help your country and economy out of all of that debt...
            Huh?

Comment

like i said, he grew up across the street from me and now lives a good 30 minutes away without traffic

today was a busy day as we started out with swim lessons at 830, then to the beach for photo shots as phoebe turns 1 in 3 days, then shopping and then looking at houses. so now it's 725pm and i'm just settling in.

but i did follow up with dan via text. his pressure before the regulator was 210# and after the regulator was holding around 150# as the relief valve was dripping. he swapped out the identical regulator and texted me if 60# was enough for a 2 story house. i texted back to go 65-70# as it was less strain on the reduction of pressure through the regulator. honestly i would probably set up a second regulator and stage them as 210# to 65# large drop for a single regulator.

needless to say, my tools and the old regulator were left across the street at his moms house. and along with my stuff is his moms famous apple and banana cake.

not only did dan save money, but he learned a valuable skill in maintaining his home. i'm sure when it comes to cutting classes in his school, he will think twice before cutting shop/ trade classes.

he's suppose to email me some photos of the before and after shots and we'll get a chance to pass or fail him

hope he's not getting cocky as he signed out as dan's plumbing

good job dan

rick.

tools returned ready for my work week.

the bad regulator and the apple cake dan's mom made for me and phoebe. it will be gone in 3 days.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Where is the PRV located on the gentlemens property? What type pipe is he working with?

Comment

it's out front just before the 1'' copper enters the house. the copper has 2-1'' mip adapters and the regulator was the same exact model. pretty much loosen the union and then back off the regulator on the threaded end. he didn't swap the union tailpiece and nut, only the washer.

honestly for me a 5 minute job. not sure how long it took dan, but he was very attentive to get high and low readings. before and after the job.

told him it's like a dr. checking blood pressure. and his older brother is a dr

keep in mind, if i didn't feel he was up for the task, i would not have given him the tools or materials. i felt very confident in dans ability to get it done with a little coaching.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    it's out front just before the 1'' copper enters the house. the copper has 2-1'' mip adapters and the regulator was the same exact model. pretty much loosen the union and then back off the regulator on the threaded end. he didn't swap the union tailpiece and nut, only the washer.

honestly for me a 5 minute job. not sure how long it took dan, but he was very attentive to get high and low readings. before and after the job.

told him it's like a dr. checking blood pressure. and his older brother is a dr

keep in mind, if i didn't feel he was up for the task, i would not have given him the tools or materials. i felt very confident in dans ability to get it done with a little coaching.

rick.
                    Did he bond the pipes on each side of the PRV before removing it or is that just being paranoid?

Comment

paranoid for a few reasons.

#1 he has other copper running underground to the rear yard. plus the grounding rod driven in the ground by the service entrance. plus the 3/4'' copper line for the irrigation main.

not to mention that our gas system is also bonded to the water main too.

in all the years of plumbing, i can only remember 1 time when i felt a buzz when working on a water main.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

#1 he has other copper running underground to the rear yard. plus the grounding rod driven in the ground by the service entrance. plus the 3/4'' copper line for the irrigation main.

in all the years of plumbing, i can only remember 1 time when i felt a buzz when working on a water main.

rick.

When that Neutral Current flows through metallic water piping it becomes an electrocution hazard to the weekend plumber, and a source of Stray Current that is shared by Several or Many neighbors, depending on the integrity and construction of the distribution system.

You see Rick it can come from the other direction.....not only the house your working on. Without telling the guy to bond the pipes before removing the PRV you could have got him killed.
                        You can work how you want but when instructing others they should be made aware of the dangers.even if the probability is low.

Comment

did you not just read the 3 other sources of grounding that his house has even with the regulator removed? go back and read them again.

with all the plastic/ pvc, pb. pex. water services you post about, what does jumping a regulator do on a plastic underground main?

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            When that Neutral Current flows through metallic water piping it becomes an electrocution hazard to the weekend plumber, and a source of Stray Current that is shared by Several or Many neighbors, depending on the integrity and construction of the distribution system.

You see Rick it can come from the other direction.....not only the house your working on. Without telling the guy to bond the pipes before removing the PRV you could have got him killed.
                            You can work how you want but when instructing others they should be made aware of the dangers.even if the probability is low.
                            Please explain, never heard of this.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

rick.
                              If you ever feel a "buzz" on a water main, that is usually a sign that the service entrance neutral has a problem somewhere. Meaning the unbalanced load is going to the grounding conductors instead. I remmeber one service call where a furnace tech was getting shocked a few times, and witnessed sparts where the EMT connects to the unit. Sure enough, the neutral conductors in the electrical meter rotted away, effectively turning the waterpipe bond into the neutral. Typically when that happens, the waterpipe bond turns green, a symptom that is readily visable, especially when the rest of the piping looks clean.

Comment

did you not just read the 3 other sources of grounding that his house has even with the regulator removed? go back and read them again.

with all the plastic/ pvc, pb. pex. water services you post about, what does jumping a regulator do on a plastic underground main?

rick.
                                yes I read it Rick just like you typed it and you never mention anything about a plastic water service infact all you mention is how much COPPER the guy has in his yard. You also mention all the grounds the guy has.

Amazing you know this guy has no problems with his electrical grounds from standing in your driveway and how you know how the underground is plumbed.

It doesn't matter about if I install pex or plastic water services infact that would insure no stray current could come FROM THE CITY MAIN. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE A PROBLEM WITH THE CUSTOMERS HOUSE,THE SOURCE CAN BE FROM THE CITY MAIN IF THE SERVICE IS METALLIC????

Does that answer your questions?

Comment

Working...
                                X