There's a storm coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There's a storm coming

Been in two direct hit hurricanes. Sometimes they are not so bad and sometimes it's horrible depending on where you are. Even lower category storms can cause a mess on infrastructure for some multiple days.

Stay safe and drive on.

J.C.

Comment

By the time it hits us, it should be a category 2 hurricane that's calling up to 10" of rain, with heavy flooding.

Tomorrow I'll probably buy 10-15 sump-pumps, as anytime we get flooding, pumps fly off the shelves within an hour around here.

I live in a new condo that's pretty much protected, and we just went food shopping, and have plenty of batteries and candles.

Monday will be a mess around here, with all of the rivers and creeks we have.

Comment

Bless You all on the East coast including my Kids and extended family
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The tree are still full of leaves causing them to catch a lot more wind than if this was a winter storm. Winds over 60 mph would cause a great deal of damage and I think they are predicting winds up to 85mph. Gonna be bad, and I can't imagine what the folks who are coastal will sustain? Utility poles, and property can be repaired and replaced, I'm concerned about the toll on people, pets and livestock.

Comment

I've been in a microburst and had 2 trees land on my house, 3 on my pool, and a bunch across my yard. These were 100 foot cottonwoods. I can still hear them crashing through my roof and opening my bedroom ceiling to the sky above. The winds were estimated around 90 mph and lasted about 2 minutes.

This hurricane will hit areas of the northeast where high winds have not been seen in a while. I'm afraid that the addition of rain will compound the problem even more, as will the sustained wind. We'll probably hear accounts on the news for a good 2 weeks following landfall. Hope nobody gets killed, but I suspect we'll hear about a few CO related deaths.

Comment

Yeah, we are all getting ready here. Got everything tied down on the jobsite yesterday and today.
              I'm home now bringing in any FMOs (Flying Missile Objects) or tyeing them down.
              All the trash cans go in the garage along with any outdoor plants, etc.

Was in HD this morning to pick up some paint and I noticed that ALL the generators are gone.
              Not a single one in any size or make on the shelf and none in the overhead.

I am still telling myself to get one and a Generlink so I can power the house if need be, just haven't
              gone and ordered the GenerLink yet. I should do that before Winter sets in. I'm not too worried
              about Irene. We are pretty far inland (>25 miles) from the ocean but only 8 or 9 miles as the crow flies
              from Delaware Bay. I'm on high ground so not worried about flooding. Int eh storm last week that dropped
              11 inches on us the basement stayed dry, and no leaks detected anywhere in the house. We don't have many
              large trees on our property, only 1 oak about 30 ft that is 30 feet from the house.

But if a tree limb were to blow from 100 yards away from the neighbors property, well that's a different story
              and the thing I worry about there is the two big roof windows in the living room. They are 44" square each and
              probably wouldn't take too kindly to a branch or other heavy object. They have been pelted by hail in the past
              with no damage though. I am thinking of making up some covers from 1/2" ply to put over them for the storm.

Name:  a011501e188f6e4ec3969f240cadd882.png
Views: 1
Size:  41.4 KB
              Last edited by Bob D.; 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

we are marketing sump pumps now as well, wish we thought of sending sump pump postcards a week ago, we were going to do 1000 postcards in our area, too late now, but we are covered on the internet though..for our areas
                Plumber Raleigh -new website
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Yeah, we are all getting ready here. Got everything tied down on the jobsite yesterday and today.
                  I'm home now bringing in any FMOs (Flying Missile Objects) or tyeing them down.
                  All the trash cans go in the garage along with any outdoor plants, etc.

Was in HD this morning to pick up some paint and I noticed that ALL the generators are gone.
                  Not a single one in any size or make on the shelf and none in the overhead.

I am still telling myself to get one and a Generlink so I can power the house if need be, just haven't
                  gone and ordered the GenerLink yet. I should do that before Winter sets in. I'm not too worried
                  about Irene. We are pretty far inland (>25 miles) from the ocean but only 8 or 9 miles as the crow flies
                  from Delaware Bay. I'm on high ground so not worried about flooding. Int eh storm last week that dropped
                  11 inches on us the basement stayed dry, and no leaks detected anywhere in the house. We don't have many
                  large trees on our property, only 1 oak about 30 ft that is 30 feet from the house.

But if a tree limb were to blow from 100 yards away from the neighbors property, well that's a different story
                  and the thing I worry about there is the two big roof windows in the living room. They are 44" square each and
                  probably wouldn't take too kindly to a branch or other heavy object. They have been pelted by hail in the past
                  with no damage though. I am thinking of making up some covers from 1/2" ply to put over them for the storm.

Name:  a011501e188f6e4ec3969f240cadd882.png
Size:  41.4 KB
                  Bob, having a generator to power your heat is a good idea for the winter so you have time. I got mine up and running but don't expect I'll need it. Be careful if you buy one used or even new because there will be stupid folks buying them now taking them home, filling them with gasoline and never reading the instructions to add "Oil"!!! My major concern is glass damage. I'll post a picture of my living roon, three huge skylights and an eleven foot wide wall of floor to ceiling sliding glass windows. Won't take much flying debris to take them out. I was thinking of plywood covers but it's too much work for a one time event. No plywood to be had anyway. Good luck to all, Frank.
                  Attached Files

Comment

IT'S FREAKING INSANE OUT ON THE ROADS RIGHT NOW!!!!

My lord, you would think a nuclear war was about to happen with all of the stores jammed.

So I picked up 10 sump pumps this afternoon, couldn't get any back-up pumps (water or battery) anywhere in the area.

One company came in to buy 50 pumps! They are a big company with probably 30-40 guys working.

Stopped by the liquor store on the way home to get some wine, and MY GOD...liquor is flying off the shelves just as fast as the sump pumps are. At least 8 people had hand trucks with cases of liquor on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      Why are you buying pumps....chances are if it hits near you the streets will be full of trees....no way to go to work. No power for pumps to work unless they have generator anyway.
                      We have a lot of streams, creeks, and rivers in the area, that will probably crest late Sunday night or Monday, and I'd rather have pumps today, then be S.O.L. on Monday.

But that's the reason why I don't use battery backups, because a lot of basements here in my area, will FLOOD...not just get a few inches of water inside during times like this. That's why I like water powered back-ups, and push them hard here.

But in all honesty, I mostly tell people to call their local fire department, cause around here, that company will drop off trash pumps to suck the water out. We don't get enough flooding for me to invest in a trash pump yet, and I'm not sure if Rick would like the idea of me buying a trash pump instead of a Propress or SeeSnake instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                        I take it that your not in the path of hurricane force winds. If you are and the storm comes through on Sunday.......you will not be going anywhere next week because the streets will be fulla trees.

If you have never seen anything like that in PERSON your going to be shocked when you do. You can look at all the pictures and video but until you see it in person.....it doesn't seem real. For me anyway thats how it was.
                        I'm in the Philly suburbs, so we will see a good part of this storm. The last Hurricane that came through full force around here, was when I was in middle school. (I think).

We get other storms that knock trees down and flood our creeks, but this storm here will be much worse. Let me just tell you, if you have never been to Pennsylvania, my area is LOADED with trees!! If they start to come crashing down, it will be a nightmare to drive around here. The worst part about all of this is...many many many roads will be closed down come Sunday/Monday, and it will literally take me hours to get to the shop, when it's a 10 minute ride.

Comment

You are more likely to need a chainsaw than a pump.

But seriously, I think I figured it out. Irene is a big scam to push
                          merchandise off the shelves and get this economy moving again.

The stores look like a Black Friday sale and the gas pumps at all
                          the local stations are three deep. I filled up both trucks just in
                          case.

I expect we will loose a lot of trees. With all the rain we got last
                          weekend plus more in the past 5 days (2" yesterday) the ground is
                          saturated. It won't take much wind to uproot them.

Today has been beautiful WX. Warm and sunny with a light breeze.
                          You'd never know that monster lies a few hundred miles away and
                          is fixing to chew into us with a rage. Must have been even scarier
                          years ago before WX forecasts and radar and such. Today its beautiful
                          and tomorrow all hell breaks loose without warning. That's probably
                          half the reason people kept a good supply of food and such on hand at
                          all times. You never knew when you might be thrust into the midst of a
                          disaster that would leave you cut off from everyone for a couple weeks
                          or more.

Comment

Thought I would take a photo of a typical neighborhood farm.

We'll see what it looks like come Sunday afternoon.

This corn stands about 9 feet high.
                            Name:  615e99e569586b79a5c233a7c23d95a6.jpg
Size:  499.6 KB

Comment

Oh yeah,

I heard is was going to be bad to the bone on Long Island, Fortunately for me, I moved way upstate a few years ago and I doubt it will make it this far,

The local news in NY is saying its going to be bad.....

i hope everyone in the path of this monster stays safe

Comment

Looks like it will begin raining here in a few hours.

Save this link in your browser. When you go there maximize your browser to full screen.
                                This is a composite moving radar map of the 48 states showing the last hour of radar images,
                                the most recent is usually less than 10 minutes old. The times of the images are displayed at the top.
                                I have found it to be very accurate over the years. If you click on a particular area it will take you to the
                                local radar web page for that area. This is one of the places where your tax dollars are at work for you.

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop

Comment

Working...
                                X