• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a storm coming

...and it could be bad.

Tropical Storm IRENE.

Re: There's a storm coming

I have friends on a cruise ship steaming towards the Caribbean right now

I'll bet that $200 dollar cancellation insurance they passed up on doesn't look too expensive now!

Comment

Just in time to give the oil companies a PR reason to keep the price of gas high.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Just in time to give the oil companies a PR reason to keep the price of gas high.
        You got that right!

When I first starting driving in 1962, gas was about $0.26 to $0.28 a gallon, depending on the station. When I bought my first new car (1965 VW "Beatle") I could fill up it's 10.5 gallon tank for less than $3.00. In 1969 when I was driving my Plymouth Valiant that 150 miles, back and forth between Binghamton and Painted Post, NY the price was still $0.32 to $0.34, again depending on the brand and station. That's about a 15% rise over seven years. Now we see a 5% rise in just a matter of days or weeks!.

I do not recall ever seeing a price rise because of a hurricane or any other disaster reason. Today, hurricanes, floods, refinery fires, wars, and political scuffles that drive prices up considerably. But, I don't thing we had all those oil platforms out in the gulf though! We also didn't have those $billion dollar record profits being posted by the oil companies either!

What we did have though was "service". You pulled into a gas station and regardless of how much you were buying, an attendant rushed out to your car, pumped the gas, checked the fluids, topped off your washer fluid (if your car had that feature), and cleaned you windshield. And, if you requestd, they'd even check your tire pressure and if necesary give you some air. The major brands also gave you a steak knive, glass, or some other "encentive" for shopping there. And, if you wanted to get out of the car, you could go into the station and get a "free" up-to-date road map for any state in your region!

Gas station owners made a pretty decent income too, and their attendants often made enough to not only live on, but also get married and support their starting families on.

But as the music said, "The times they are a'changing!"

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

It's been said that there's no such thing as a minor hurricane and Irene is a monster.

If some of you that live in path of this storm and think you can ignore the warnings,

then think about this. Right now we are experiencing rain from the outer bands and

I live 35 miles inland of Florida's east coast. So just think what it's like in the eye.

Frances was a cat 2 storm that crossed the Fla. coast on 6Sep04 and was a cat 1

when it reached us. We were without power for 11 days. Jeanne was a cat 3 that made

landfall 26Sep04 and was a cat 1 when it hit us. Power was out for 13 days. I'm sure video

from the Bahamas will be up soon and it won't be pretty. Irene is a 100 yr. storm, the likes

of which most people on the east coast have never seen. Not only will there be death

and devastation, but you can count on being without power, cell service, etc. for as

long as 2 weeks. So, as glad as I am that we dodged this bullet, I feel sorry for you

guys in the path of this thing. If you live is an area where evacuations are called for,

GET THE HELL OUT!

Comment

Where I live there's no such thing as just cutting the "bad" trees to save your butt. Perfectly healthy trees snap like twigs if the winds are right. I think it's easier to say you are not afraid of hurricanes if you have not lost property or loved ones as others have. I enjoy strong weather but also respect it's power. I like to err on the side of caution and have the chainsaws ready to go, along with plenty of fuel, and food. I feel bad for the folks who will lose life, limb and property. This is not something to take lightly in my opinion. Frank

Comment

Sounds like it may even hit us pretty good. Right now they are saying 8" of rain. For us that is HUGE!
              I'll decide tomorrow for sure, but I'm going to get the Vac truck up and ready. It's been sitting awhile (money pit). Change fluids, top off water tanks etc.

I may even go rent some pumps before they are all gone.

As far as home goes, not much to do but bring in lawn chairs etc...
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Living for two weeks on generator power is not something I would want to do...again.

While I admire your spirit of adventure, TM, this storm will not be your typical blow and go.

After living in S. Fla. for 58 yrs. I can tell you that not all hurricanes are the same.

This thing is huge and the devastation that it will wreak for those in the direct path

will be remarkable. Not only will power and cell service be out, but also possibly water,

sewer, and other utilities...maybe even your satellite TV. And because of the damage

and debris there will be a lack of goods and other services. There may even be no means

to get ice, much less the beer to cool it with. I'm no calamity howler, but I've seen the

aftermath of severe storms and up to now none of them have had the potential for

destruction as Irene does. All I'm saying is don't be stupid if your in harm's way and be

prepared to be without the things you take for granted in the aftermath.

Comment

We live on half acre properties and I can't force my neighbors or the town to remove trees that could fall and cause property damage or death. When I moved here twenty years ago my property was like a forrest with 70ft oaks and taller tulip trees. I had all of them taken down over the years and replanted with japanese cherry, japanese maple and some other small decorative trees, nothing over twenty feet tall. I am in no danger of harm from water, but folks here do die from falling branches and trees which crush cars and homes. I understand respecting and preserving nature, but not at the cost of human lives. Similar thing applies to not clearing brush and trees in areas prone to fire storms.

Comment

I think I'm ready. Girlfriend is dropping her kids off at her EX, fridge & 2 freezers are stock, 50,000 kw generator fueled up & working, brought my Cat IT38 loader to the house, 1,000 gal diesel tank topped off, chains for chain saws all sharpen, plenty of tarps in shop, have directv, I'm on well & septic. I don't care if my cell or phone don't work, because that means nobody can call me to come & move a tree or cut one up. Sounds like I'm going to get some much needed time off. Please let me know if I forgot anything, because I would hate not to be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      Here is what I do to prepare for a hurricane. Number one priority is to make sure I have enough food and water to last 3 weeks. I gas up all vehicles. I charge every battery i have and get fresh disposable ones for all my electronics and flashlights,lanterns etc. I fill up all my gas cans and thats about 40-50 gallons. Make sure my chansaws are working properly and I have all the supplies for them like chain oil,fuel mix,spare chains,etc. Load my shotguns with 00buck shot and place them around the house. Buy propane bottles for my camp stoves. Start making my on ice by filling gallon size plastic bags with water and freezing. Board up windows in the room I will be staying in for the storm. Buy any medicines I need or think I may need but I typically have left over prescriptions I keep and stock all the typical stuff you may find in a well stocked medicine cabinet and check the expiration dates. Get cash. Check that my tarps are not rotten. Park my vehicles around the room I will be staying in. Take my satellite down. Pick up or tie down anything that can be a missile.

Then just hunker down and hope like hell a tornado doesn't destroy the house. I can live without utilities for alot longer than 2 or 3 weeks due to septic system and the generator. You cant drive anywhere afterwards because of all the down trees so all the fuel can be siphoned out of the vehicles.. A scooter would be nice to have.......

Some people get electrocuted by their generator or carbon monoxide poisoning. Be careful!!!!!!! Never assume a downed power line is not hot. I stay home for a week or so after a storm before Ii go anywhere.
                      I didnot mention my guns, because they are always loaded & ready to go. No scooter, but 4-wheeler is all ready to go. I do need to double check the first-aid kit.

Comment

Milk and toilet paper!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                          I suggest having atleast drinking water bottled up. If there is any possibility of flooding the well may be contaminated with God knows what. I dont suspect thats your situation tho.

damn.....50kw?? Holy crap man you could run few homes off that with everything working. Thats a serious generator.
                          I got it at an auction for $1,500.00 had my electrician wire up disconnect from main power & hook up a quick disconnect outside the house. I also just put it on one my trailers, so I can park it near the house. It's powered by a 4-cly. detroit. I can run my whole house & then some. It's not too loud also, because it usually just runs at an idle.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            Milk and toilet paper!!!
                            Still have plenty of TP left over from the last time it snowed

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                              I think I'm ready. Girlfriend is dropping her kids off at her EX, fridge & 2 freezers are stock, 50,000 kw generator fueled up & working, brought my Cat IT38 loader to the house, 1,000 gal diesel tank topped off, chains for chain saws all sharpen, plenty of tarps in shop, have directv, I'm on well & septic. I don't care if my cell or phone don't work, because that means nobody can call me to come & move a tree or cut one up. Sounds like I'm going to get some much needed time off. Please let me know if I forgot anything, because I would hate not to be prepared.
                              Girlfriend and no kids! All that food and fuel! I'd say you didn't forget a thing and might possibly be one of the best prepared folks I know! Enjoy the event and even if the storm does not hit, don't tell your girlfriend. Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X