X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeland security?

There is a dam near me. It has a road on top of it. that road is one of three e-w corridors across the county. The second is I70, which is often a parking lot. The dam road parrallels the highway, and is an extremely useful way to avoid it when it is clogged.

The dam road was briefly closed a couple years ago, with no warning, due to its making the dam vulnerable to terrorist attack. It was reopened pretty quickly during daylight hours after the complaining started. There have been security personel stationed at each end ever since. There are some things I drive over which I assume are activateable tire shredders in between the guards. The road is closed again now for the installation of some automated system to replace the guards.

This is, taken as a whole, the biggest waste of $ and display of idiocy I've seen in some time.

If I was a terrorist and wanted to do some damage around here, with full deniability no less, screw the dam. All I'd need to do is drive up into the beetle-kill pine bomb, build a biggish campfire, and then get drunk.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Homeland security?

If if if if you are going to live your life thinking if a terrorist is going to blow this and that up them they have won and that is what they want you to do or would you like to live in George Orweld world where big brother is always watching you I woulldn`t

Tony

Comment

Hmmmmm.... I posted a reply to this earlier today and I see it is now missing. Perhaps it just didn't "take". In any case, I'll post again.

Ace,

"Waste of money" or "idiocy" depends a lot on what may be downstream from that dam. I'm not sure what is or isn't in your community or what that dam may be keeping the reservour behind it from flooding.

As we all know, the 911 terrorist attack was a "surprise" and it took very little on the part of the terrorist to use our own "energy potential" to bring down the WTC or cause major damage to the Pentagon. The "terrorist" could not have achieved anywhere close to this amount of damage by using thier own energy weapon, much less having the logistics or technology to deliver it to the targets. What they did do was use our own energy potential and technology (the jet airliners) and our lack of security. All they had to do was to provide thier own guidance system (the trained pilots and their support teams) in order to bring that energy potential to the desired targets.

In the case of a dam, it may well represent a large "energy" source, again somewhat unguarded, and the target may be something downstream like a military installation, research facility, or simply a desired population center. While the "terrorists" may not have the capability to deliver a bomb or missile to such a desired target, the upstream dam may well offer the destructive potential needed... and it may be a much softer target.

Bridges, railroads, and other known "infrastructure" points may or may not be considered "targets" by the surrounding civilian population. But their paths of access to strategic areas or thier close proximity to strategic areas may offer a more advantageous means by a terrorist than the actual target. For example, blowing up a railroad bridge by itself may not make much sense, but blowing up a railroad bridge just prior to a train carrying several gas or chemical cars would!

While I know that somethings seem silly, wasteful, or idiotic, the situation and/or potential may well not be. We live in a frightful age with possible terrorist coming from almost anywhere. I'm not saying that this particular case is any of that and certainly one might want to address the issue with their local government.... but, we are in the midst of "what if" scenarios and we must make sure that we are better at that than our enemies.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        If if if if you are going to live your life thinking if a terrorist is going to blow this and that up them they have won and that is what they want you to do or would you like to live in George Orweld world where big brother is always watching you I woulldn`t

Tony
        Tony, I totally agree. The point of the terrorist is to inspire fear. When we let them, they have won.

Ben Franklin said, "Those willing to sacrifice liberty for safety will have neither".

Too bad no one pays attention to what Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, et al warned us about. Instead we get sound bytes from the numbskulls of today... a group that apparently just doesn't get what the US is supposed to be all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
          Too bad no one pays attention to what Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, et al warned us about. Instead we get sound bytes from the numbskulls of today... a group that apparently just doesn't get what the US is supposed to be all about.
          Just a random thought, when I read your post, Why would we want to do that when Obama says he knows what's right for us...

Comment

You hear the screams all the time; too much government............not enough government. I doubt if that will ever change. The one thing that I do know is this, whenever something bad happens people will always accuse the government of: not acting fast enough after the fact, not preventing it before it happened or, my favorite, actually doing the evil deed. For sure there is plenty of money wasted by the various government agencies however I would not consider protecting the infrastructure of the country wasteful. Roads, WWTP's, municipal wells, airports, dams and any other piece of infrastructure is there because it is needed. Destroy any of those and untold numbers of people will be effected.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

ter·ror·ist   noun
              1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
              2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

ter·ror·ism   noun
              1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
              2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
              many times the target is not of real significance, besides it creates terror or fear,
              what is the significance of attacking a school or a mall or sporting event, (most likely none besides that it shows how venerable one is) and creates fear.

your location there may not be of hardly any signifunace, besides to say we can hit you any where and any time, you live in fear of us,

what happens when a major crime takes place in a peaceful community, everone puts up there gaurd locks the doors makes sure things are done so it can not happen to them, (and when the news interviews some neighbor, the person says that kind of thing does not happen around here, If I was down on XXXX street I cound understand but here.)
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There isn't anything downstream of that dam of strategic value. It's the same nonsense after 9/11 when the news channels started to go to private airports and show how accessible private airplanes are.

Almost a "hey terrorists! In case you didn't think of this, tune in at 5 and 9 for friggen instructions."

"Never let a serious crisis go to waste" Rahm Emanuel

Comment

Working...
                X