Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

    Feels great to have my electricity back and all it brings to my life. These last few days have not been fun. Power won't be back so quickly for other folks, with thousands of fallen trees and downed lines. Problem with all this is that after the big clean up and power is restored, there are still countless trees and limbs waiting to take out the lines once again! The winds were strong but nothing close to what was predicted or in my opinion reported. I've been busy picking up branches, but no need for the chainsaws this time. I hope this current hurricane doesn't do much damage in the gulf. Good to be back. Frank

  • #2
    Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

    Wow u guys get a tropical storm and act like the world is coming to an end!... Kinda like everytime the temp drops lower then 40 degrees in Fort Lauderdale you guys laugh at us down here. Now its are turn. HAHAHA
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

      Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
      Wow u guys get a tropical storm and act like the world is coming to an end!... Kinda like everytime the temp drops lower then 40 degrees in Fort Lauderdale you guys laugh at us down here. Now its are turn. HAHAHA
      How do you equate temperatures dropping below 40º with destruction of property, injuries and loss of life? Sorry, I fail to see the humor in your post.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

        I'm glad your power is back. About 1/6 of the people in my town are still out, but thankfully we kept power. We don't have any cable (Internet, phone, too) though, which was rough for my wife who works from home. We bought a Virgin Mobile Mifi yesterday, and it is working out well.

        Metro North did a great job, with all the trains on the Hudson line running normally. Port Jervis is another story, those people won't have any trains for months, since the flood waters washed away the trackbed in several areas, damaged signals, etc.
        Flickr: MTAPhotos' Photostream

        All in all, we got off relatively light compared to the damage that could have happened.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

          Glad your power is back and the damage is not worst/
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

            Originally posted by TheMaster
            Do you realize how many palm trees die? They are expensive too.
            I'm sure you'll agree that there is a big difference between a dead palm tree and flooded towns, wiped out bridges, and widespread destruction. Don't get me wrong, I am aware of the economic losses incurred by farmers who have to protect their citrus crops or throw out frozen fruit.

            Any laughing from up north is typically done when watching people trying to drive when an inch of snow falls. They know better to be on the roads, but do it anyway for whatever reason. I can't recall anyone up here laughing at a flooded city or a ripped up house.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

              Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
              I'm sure you'll agree that there is a big difference between a dead palm tree and flooded towns, wiped out bridges, and widespread destruction. Don't get me wrong, I am aware of the economic losses incurred by farmers who have to protect their citrus crops or throw out frozen fruit.

              Any laughing from up north is typically done when watching people trying to drive when an inch of snow falls. They know better to be on the roads, but do it anyway for whatever reason. I can't recall anyone up here laughing at a flooded city or a ripped up house.
              I agree with your post, I think he just gave a bad example and did not understand the scope of damage from this storm. While I was inconvenienced for a few days, homes and towns were destroyed! For many, this was as bad as a storm could get.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                I have several friends in Annapolis, MD without power since Saturday. They take turns sharing the generator I loaned them. Power company estimated power restored by Friday or Saturday. Frustrating to be helpless in that situation.
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                  Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I have several friends in Annapolis, MD without power since Saturday. They take turns sharing the generator I loaned them. Power company estimated power restored by Friday or Saturday. Frustrating to be helpless in that situation.
                  I got mine back on last night & they told my neighbor yesterday morning it would be Fri. or sat. ( they got theirs back too). Hopefully they get it back on soon. I have a 50kw generator, so I did not miss a beat. One neighbor was not so lucky right after the electric came on I heard a loud bang. It was either their transformer or they were back feeding with thier generator & didn't have the main turned off.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                    Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                    How do you equate temperatures dropping below 40º with destruction of property, injuries and loss of life? Sorry, I fail to see the humor in your post.
                    I hate when people do that. Of course anyone that got hurt or lost there life is not funny at all. You must be a real dumb azz to think otherwise! But you people act like the world is coming to an end from a tropical storm IS funny. HAHAHA...PS when someone says " That food was to die for" are you the kinda person that really thinks they would die for that food?
                    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                      Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                      I hate when people do that. Of course anyone that got hurt or lost there life is not funny at all. You must be a real dumb azz to think otherwise! But you people act like the world is coming to an end from a tropical storm IS funny. HAHAHA...PS when someone says " That food was to die for" are you the kinda person that really thinks they would die for that food?
                      The problem is that for some folks it wasn't a harmless tropical storm, it was the end of their world. People died and homes and towns were destroyed. I think you are right that Florida has the true hurricanes, just like California has the real deal earthquakes. But in this case the tropical storm was as bad as a storm could be including your serious real deal hurricanes. I know you meant your post to poke fun at us notherners, I get it. This was just not the best example of a harmless tropical storm we over reacted to since it did so much damage. Frank

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                        Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                        But you people act like the world is coming to an end from a tropical storm IS funny. HAHAHA...
                        Most tropical storms don't do this kind of damage by the time they get this far north. This one had lots of energy and, with the help of high tides, caused a lot of flooding. The "world coming to an end" that you laugh at was the prediction that this storm could cause severe widespread damage. For many communities, unfortunately, this was a reality: their world did kind of end.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                          My neighbor has a buddy in Vermont who is cutoff from leaving his area due to bridges washed out. Parts of New Jersey are under several feet of water. I don't understand how so much damage was done because like I posted earlier, the wind was not that bad? Must have been the volume of water along with the wind that caused so much damage. Folks here are all upset that power is still not restored in many areas. They don't understand that it's not as simple as sending a fax or email. Removing all the downed branches, trees and brokne poles is heavy and dangerous work. All those tree serrvice and power company workers need to eat and rest too and folks have no patience or understanding. I think they should give the complainers a chance to operate a chainsaw and move some heavy wood, might teach them a much needed lesson. Frank

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                            Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                            Wow u guys get a tropical storm and act like the world is coming to an end!... Kinda like everytime the temp drops lower then 40 degrees in Fort Lauderdale you guys laugh at us down here. Now its are turn. HAHAHA
                            Just like you are not built to withstand sub-freezing temps we are not built to withstand repeated high winds and torrential rains.
                            My area of the country sees little in the way of extremes but we do get a little bit of everything.

                            Take the past two weeks as an example;
                            11+ inches of rain in less than 24 hours
                            followed by a 5.8 quake a few days later
                            then top it off with a Cat 1 hurricane a couple days after that


                            No wonder bridges are giving way, trees are falling left and right, and streams are spilling over their banks.
                            All the trees that had their supporting soil loosened the week before and the bridges that might have been weakened were no match for the relatively low strength hurricane when it made shore. They had barely begun to inspect bridges for quake damage when the hurricane was upon us. The townships and county road crews were out there doing all they could before Irene struck to shore up roads and bridges against the coming rains and flooding, there just wasn't enough time to fix it all.

                            Last edited by Bob D.; 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Power is Back, Thank You Lord!

                              This is what its like now during a NH winter.

                              26+6=1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X