Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small engine question: revs way too high now

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
    Yeah, I suspect I'll try to get another couple years out of it, and then get something else. This is 11 years old.
    Trying to repair that engine could prove to be futile. A new one would cost close to the price of a new mower. Now is the time to go buy that new mower you want.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
      Trying to repair that engine could prove to be futile. A new one would cost close to the price of a new mower. Now is the time to go buy that new mower you want.
      *sigh*

I reassembled it by the book, did the Static Governor Adjustment like it said, and when I went to start, it oversped like mad, even with the throttle at minimum idle.

It's as if the internal governor is supplying ZERO feedback to the lever at all. Right after it broke, at least the one remaining flyweight offered *some* force, but now nothing. I'm 100% positive the replacement governor gear was oiled and its parts moved freely. I even took pictures of the external linkages before and they match.

Any hints? I really don't want to take this apart again, but want to give it my best effort before throwing in the towel.

Comment

Buy a used motor off of eBay or something and either put your good parts on it or it's good parts on yours. Old riding lawn mowers get trashed because of problems but have good motors in them still. Hit up the local scrapping places and make buddies with the yard workers.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

*Bangs head furiously*

Took it apart and found that the small spring clip that is supposed to hold the governor gear up against the thrust washer had slipped. So it appears the governor gear may have slipped below the cam gear, and possibly not rotating at all. So I fixed that by ensuring it was firmly engaged, and even tried pulling the governor gear off its post.

Did the whole static governor setup, started it up and it idled perfectly! Then after it warmed up, I gave it a little throttle and it raced again. Pulled the throttle all the way back and it still raced. It's as if something inside gave way again. I really don't want to open it up a third time, what good will it do? I've already checked and re-checked.

Anything wrong with these pics?

Comment

Interesting observation: The new governor is shown in the pictures above. Note that the old one looked like this:

The old one weighs 118 grams and has 4/16" throw, and the new one weighs 104 grams and had 3/16" throw. It is possible that the new one just doesn't have the force and throw to move the governor shaft to counteract the throttle force.

Funny thing is that the part number 793338 is shown online with and without the the semicircular ears.

Comment

Working...
            X