Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verizonstrickers boost unemployment numbers ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Verizonstrickers boost unemployment numbers ?

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Frank, that is the system they bought into. The lady with the bagels did nothing more than answer an order for bagels. The workers have a right to picket but she has a right to deliver her bagels. Why did it take police involvement for her to get through the crowd. As much as you would like to think this is a righteous war executed by valiant men, I consider them cowards and thugs in a labor dispute.

I'm curious, were you on the lines supporting your Union brothers?

Mark
    Maybe the Union Strikers should have bought all her bagels?

Comment

One of my first Union Experiences:

The year 1982. Fresh out of college. Hired as a District Manager for Chemed Corporation, Div of Grace Enterprises. Myself and two other guys were installing new chemical feed pumps to some dish machines in Disneyland. A process that should have taken a whole of maybe an hour tops. Nope, not the case at Disney. Once we got to the equipment we had to put in a work request to the Plumbing and Electrical Union Shops to (1) turn a breaker off, (2) turn a 3/4" gate valve off. It took approximately 4 hours before these knuckle heads turned up to achieve those two tasks. When we told them we would be no more then fifteen to twenty minutes and could they wait, the answer was Nope. You have to put your request in writing to have the items turned back on. So we did that less then thirty minutes later. We waited around until 4pm and were told that all the unions guys that perform these job requests were leaving and would not be back until 7:00 am, unless we wanted to personally pay for there overtime. So we had to come back in the morning, wait another 2.5 hours for them to turn everything on so we could operate the dish machine and make sure our equipment worked.

At no point in time did these Union Hacks ever care that we were not getting paid by the hour to be there, or that we had other customers throughout the area that were expecting us during those two days.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
        One of my first Union Experiences:

The year 1982. Fresh out of college. Hired as a District Manager for Chemed Corporation, Div of Grace Enterprises. Myself and two other guys were installing new chemical feed pumps to some dish machines in Disneyland. A process that should have taken a whole of maybe an hour tops. Nope, not the case at Disney. Once we got to the equipment we had to put in a work request to the Plumbing and Electrical Union Shops to (1) turn a breaker off, (2) turn a 3/4" gate valve off. It took approximately 4 hours before these knuckle heads turned up to achieve those two tasks. When we told them we would be no more then fifteen to twenty minutes and could they wait, the answer was Nope. You have to put your request in writing to have the items turned back on. So we did that less then thirty minutes later. We waited around until 4pm and were told that all the unions guys that perform these job requests were leaving and would not be back until 7:00 am, unless we wanted to personally pay for there overtime. So we had to come back in the morning, wait another 2.5 hours for them to turn everything on so we could operate the dish machine and make sure our equipment worked.

At no point in time did these Union Hacks ever care that we were not getting paid by the hour to be there, or that we had other customers throughout the area that were expecting us during those two days.
        This is ruining our country!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

and yet another great Union Story:

I believe the year to be around 1985, I think when the pilots walked. One of my good friends at the time was dating a United Stewardess who had tenure. She had just completed her secondary language requirements for international travel and was about to be placed on the international rooster.

Anyways the Stewardess Union decided to back the pilots and walk with them. My buddy went with his girlfriend to the Union meeting. Later that night he told her to cross the picket line because the airline was not going to screw around. Anyone that backed the Union was going to get hosed in the long run. Pressure by her union and her Union friends compelled her notto cross the line.

When the strike was settled the Pilots got what they wanted and all the stewardesses that walked along side them got hosed. My buddies girlfriend, (who lived just out side of San Francisco, and hubbed out of SFI) was immediately taken off the international flight rotation list, re-hubbed in Miami for local South Eastern State Domestic Puddle Jumper Flights. (that means for her to remain working she would (a) have to move to Miami, (b) grab a jump seat from SFI to Miami, so she could report to work) The girls that crossed the line, regardless of length with the airline were giving the best hubs, and international flights. When the girls that did not cross went to there Union for representation, the Union turned there back on them and said, "Well its unfortunate but this was not our fight".

Comment

And yet another Union Hack Story:

Few years back got a call from one of my military contacts. Wanted me to drive to a base located hundreds of miles from our office and do an evaluation on some oil separation units, steam generators, etc... He gives me a work authorization for payment for the quotation.

I contact the manufactures rep for the equipment, who I personally knew and convince him to come out and take a look. So we hook up at around 2:00 am and drive out to this base. Meet the necessary people at 7:00 am go through the equipment, take lots of notes, pictures etc... and leave later in the afternoon.

For the next couple of days I put together a proposal to repair all the equipment, and then email it to my military contact.

About four weeks later I get a call from some Union Representative at the base. He's asking me all kinds of questions about my quote. It almost sounded like a competitor trying to get inside information. I finally told the guy that I was not providing him any information on the quote until I talk to the military.

A few days later I got a hold of my military contact and he informs me that he turned my bid over to one of the base contractors to execute it. I asked him why it was not going out to open solicitation, or under a No-bid single source, (which is how a lot of our business is classified). He tells me that to skate the Federal mandates on open solicitations this particular base has an agreement with five different companies that all have Union representation. When a project comes along they just pass it on to the next company in line.

So I contact the Union guy, again, who happens to be a project manager. I go over all the particulars, and he responds that he cannot execute the authorization for us to start until we provide him with a complete line item costing of our our overall proposal. (We bid most our jobs as a lump sum)

OK, so I go back to my desk pull out all the job costing and send him an complete breakdown. Line item by line item.

A day later he emails me a contract, which I review. I have some questions on it so I call him up. We go over everything and then he comes back with, "Oh, yeah in review of your labor, your not paying your guys enough money." I said, "what", and he comes back with, "yeah your going to need to pay your guys under our scale as Master Pipe & Steam fitters. (WTF). I say to him, "Sorry dude I fall under the federal sm. bz. guidelines for employment." I give him all the codes and statues, including our documentation numbers. He comes back with, "sorry our guys are teamsters and you can't work in our house unless your paying your guys, teamsters rates, including all benefits."

What I found out was he failed to include the wage scale when he sent me the contract, otherwise I would have immediately flagged it. Anyways, I go through the wage scale for this base and it looks like I'm going to have to pay my guys $54.00 per hour plus another $30.00 bucks to cover benefits and pension dollars. I tell the guy that I am going to have to revamp my numbers to reflect the new costs so he says get back to me.

My first call was to my insurance broker. Paying my guys this kind of money was going to make a change in a lot of my insurance policies. So my broker works out the numbers, I work on my numbers and revise the hourly rate to $96.00 per hour. This was my break even point to cover all the costs associated with my business increases and covering all the labor, plus benny's with no profit to the company.

The guy called me back within hours of sending him the revised quote. The first thing out of his mouth was, "You Can't Pay Your guys a combined total of $96.00 per hour." My response, oh yes I can and that's based on your requirements. I tell him that I have to add in the $54.00 per hour labor, plus additional $15.00 per hour benefits, and the roughly $10.00-$12.00 retirement Benny's per hour, plus the $10.00 -$12.00 per hour costs my company is going to incur in additional liability, workers comp, etc.... costs. I tell him that since my guys don't belong to a Union, and are not required to they got the lump sum your union takes from its guys.

I ended up arguing with this guy for two hours on how a business is run. Total Frigging Union Mentality. This guy was under the impression that my small bz. had Brinks trucks rolling into it on a daily basis. I finally hung up telling him there was nothing more that I could do. I was not going to loose money just to make him happy.

Two days later he calls me up begging us to do the job, (of course under his terms) I tell him no way. I then get a call from my military contact who is completely supportive to us. To make everyone happy I tell them all see if I can find a solution.

So I go back to the drawing board, and find a legal angle to solve the problem. As an owner of the company I can perform the work and not be classified as a Union employee or for that matter do I need to be paid Union Scale. So I contact my manufacture rep buddy and tell him that if the two of us do the job, (hes also the owner of his company) we can skate the Union labor requirements. Since I already had access to this base, I figure we can show up at 5:00 am work a 12-18 hour day and complete the job in one shot. Stay in the officers quarters of the base overnight and then be done with it.

I contact the Union Hack and tell him of our plan and tells me the following,.. "ahhh, yeah that's not going to happen". I ask, "why not, its a perfect solution to the problem." and he comes back with this. "Ah, the only time your going to be allowed to work under our umbrella is between 7:00am and 3:30pm. Were going to have a job foreman at the sight overseeing your work, "oh did I mention your required to cover all his costs to!"" and, he takes the customary union break at 8:30 am, 11:00am and 1:30 pm and you guys can't work while he's on his break." (and in typical Union Fashion this foremans breaks don't start until he reaches the designated Teamster Break area which was completely located on the other side of the base.

Needless to say I declined to deal with these guys any more.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              This is ruining our country!
              What's ruining our country is the loss of businesses and jobs to mexico, communist china and other third world nations that offer slave wages, no EPA or OSHA. What's ruining our country is open borders, illegal aliens burdening our system and not contributiong to the tax base. A few negative stories from folks here in no way compares to the misconduct of our elected officials and those in the corporate world. Unions have a proud history in America and continue to do a very necessary job of protecting workers. When I read these stories of "Union" hacks, I think of how many workers have been hurt of killed because of irresponsible management and unsafe working conditions. Your stories are biased and in my opinion worthless when compared to the things I mentioned. I personally have stood up to management bums who wanted unsafe trucks to travel the streets putting workers and the public in danger. Thanks to my Union I had the confidence, job security and backing to make such a stand. Maybe we would not need Unions if we had better working conditions and job security? Keep demonizing Unions and supporting slave labor, the loss will be yours as your taxes increase to make up for the loss of payroll taxes and unemployment. Save American jobs, don't be small minded and think Unions hold a candle to the waste and crime ruining our country by government and white collar criminals. Look at the stock market and wallstreet, the fraud. Can you really compare all that damage to our economy and private lives to Union hacks? IF you choose to believe what you wrote I think you are both stubborn and misguided. Frank
              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I personally have stood up to management bums who wanted unsafe trucks to travel the streets putting workers and the public in danger. Thanks to my Union I had the confidence, job security and backing to make such a stand. Frank
                Jesus Christ frank, big f'ing deal. I read your tripe about that incident and I didn't come away thinking you were some kind of hero. I thought "what a jerk, making something out of nothing". A lot of self-important guys spend plenty of time looking for any small thing that they can throw a stink about and then spend plenty of time patting themselves on the back crying "look at me, look at me". I bet your wife has to talk to you the same way we do...as you are always one step away from tossing your next fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                  Jesus Christ frank, big f'ing deal. I read your tripe about that incident and I didn't come away thinking you were some kind of hero. I thought "what a jerk, making something out of nothing". A lot of self-important guys spend plenty of time looking for any small thing that they can throw a stink about and then spend plenty of time patting themselves on the back crying "look at me, look at me". I bet your wife has to talk to you the same way we do...as you are always one step away from tossing your next fit.
                  Using the Lord's name in vein? Shame on you! And insulting me for standing up and making my little part of the world safer, shame on you. Obviously you have never driven "big" trucks, so you would not undertand the importance of their safety on the streets and roads. Now you are trying to goad me into being disrespectful towards you by assuming how my wife and I relate. Sorry abbot, your post is not about Unions or exchanging different points of view. What's next? Maybe some threats? Good luck with your next post. Frank

Comment

Using the Lord's name in vein? Shame on you! And insulting me for standing up and making my little part of the world safer, shame on you. Obviously you have never driven "big" trucks, so you would not undertand the importance of their safety on the streets and roads. Now you are trying to goad me into being disrespectful towards you by assuming how my wife and I relate. Sorry abbot, your post is not about Unions or exchanging different points of view. What's next? Maybe some threats? Good luck with your next post. Frank
                    Well frank you brought your wife into the conversation between you and me the other day, not me. (and that is posted to this forum) As far as you "making your part of the world safer" I call Bullshit as I already posted what I thought of what you had to say on the subject. Shame on you frank for telling stories and trying to step on people that do not deserve it so you can make a few bucks.

You also like to constantly claim what you think people have done for work in the past and what they have not done and your assumptions, like many of your posts are more then wrong, they are way off. Just because you think or assume something frank does not make it correct, it just makes you wrong, consistently.The one thing that you are consistent with however I will give you credit for, you always think that you are better then everyone else which is just more typical Union stink.

You regurally insult the posters to this forum and then cry like a little girl when someone treats you in a similar fashion. That's why I think that your wife has to handle you with "kid gloves on" like we try and do here most of the time.
                    Last edited by Abbott; 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Well frank you brought your wife into the conversation between you and me the other day, not me. (and that is posted to this forum) As far as you "making your part of the world safer" I call Bullshit as I already posted what I thought of what you had to say on the subject. Shame on you frank for telling stories and trying to step on people that do not deserve it so you can make a few bucks.

You also like to constantly claim what you think people have done for work in the past and what they have not done and your assumptions, like many of your posts are more then wrong, they are way off. Just because you think or assume something frank does not make it correct, it just makes you wrong, consistently.The one thing that you are consistent with however I will give you credit for, you always think that you are better then everyone else which is just more typical Union stink.

You regurally insult the posters to this forum and then cry like a little girl when someone treats you in a similar fashion. That's why I think that your wife has to handle you with "kid gloves on" like we try and do here most of the time.
                      You are crying enough for both of us, and making a fool of yourself in the process. Like you said and I agree, "Just because you think or assume something does not make it correct, it just makes you wrong, consistently". I don't know what made you think I claim to be better than anyone here? Maybe you just lack selfconfidence? I can't help you with that. Try to post respectful comments and perhaps we can exchange ideas in a civil manner. I'm not exactly sure which post I mentioned my wife? Was it the one where I talked about my deceased daughter? Did that sound like I was complaining about my wife or crying? I don't know how old you are or if you are married or have children, and I don't wish that experience on the most stupid person, but I can tell you it is a time when you need support, need friends and my Union brothers and sisters were there for me. Please continue to insult, I'm enjoying it. Frank

Comment

You are crying enough for both of us, and making a fool of yourself in the process. Like you said and I agree, "Just because you think or assume something does not make it correct, it just makes you wrong, consistently". I don't know what made you think I claim to be better than anyone here? Maybe you just lack selfconfidence? I can't help you with that. Try to post respectful comments and perhaps we can exchange ideas in a civil manner. I'm not exactly sure which post I mentioned my wife? Was it the one where I talked about my deceased daughter? Did that sound like I was complaining about my wife or crying? I don't know how old you are or if you are married or have children, and I don't wish that experience on the most stupid person, but I can tell you it is a time when you need support, need friends and my Union brothers and sisters were there for me. Please continue to insult, I'm enjoying it. Frank
                        No frank, its the one where you mentioned her and I in the same sentence. Are you getting selective amnesia again?

Comment

No frank, its the one where you mentioned her and I in the same sentence. Are you getting selective amnesia again?
                          I can't remember, and yes I am getting forgetful. I must have compared you to a woman, was that problem? IF that's the case I apologize, you are worse than a woman. My wife is a brave person.

Comment

I can't remember, and yes I am getting forgetful. I must have compared you to a woman, was that problem? IF that's the case I apologize, you are worse than a woman. My wife is a brave person.
                            Ahh frankie I'm sorry, please stop tossing your fit now, purtty please.

Comment

Frank, I have read all your comments and I have come to the conclusion that your completely brain washed, (as are most Union members).

Here is a great example of Union mentality. In the school district where my kids go to school the average pay for teachers is $79,000.00 per year with an additional $29,800 in annual benefits. Roughly $100,000.00. Its frigging absurd to think that a Kindergarten teacher respectively needs to earn $100,000.00 per year.

Over 51% of the State Budget in California is earmarked to education. Of that, over 70% is tagged for teachers salary, benefits and pensions. Our school district is having a serious shortfall in financing because the economy in California has tanked. Housing value has declined, income levels have dropped and consumer spending has come to a stand still. All the things that contribute to paying taxes which fund the state.

18 months ago our school district asked the teachers to take a 7% reduction in pay, utilizing one of about eight different formulas. For example they could take 3% pay cut, furlough days, 2% reduction in contributions from the district. Nope they wanted none of that, so they went on strike. They claimed it was for the Children. So, the district gave them roughly a 10% reduction, which a majority was gained through Furlough days, (they agreed to this) with this one exception. Part of the negotiation was the district had to let go all the previous two years of new hire teachers. (they call that eating your young Frank) That meant that all the tenured teachers would now have class size increases from 28-32 students to 35-40 students. Except here is the kicker. The Union demanded that since the teachers would be saddled with more students they would need at least one day off per month to handle the additional work load. So we the tax payer get to pay for the tenured teachers to have a day off to do "paper work", and pay for a substitute teacher for a day. (which we all know nothing really gets accomplished when a sub is there for one day).

Oh, and to top it off the Union recalled a couple of the Board of Trustees and had there own people put in place a year ago. When the financial numbers came in for the previous year, there was some additional monies in the district fund. (The result of letting all those one and two year hires go) So the union heavy Board of Trustees in February voted to retro pay back all the furlough money the teachers gave up. Not one dime of the extra money went to books, students supplies, educational needs. It went to fund the teachers financial want!

Comment

This is just getting silly. We are beyond reality at this point and I am closing this thread. Please let's leave the Union out of discussions for a while.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X