Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verizonstrickers boost unemployment numbers ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Verizonstrickers boost unemployment numbers ?

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Just to let some of you know, certain States (not Unions or Employer) consider lost of work due to an organized labor dispute, unemployed.

Mark
    Even though they do, they shouldn't!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I read through this post and figured I would add a couple of UNION STORIES. Being in industrial/commercial construction for so many years I have hundreds of Union Stories that will make your head spin while you say to yourself, "WTF"!

Here is a couple.

We do a lot of business with the military. About eight years ago we started servicing equipment on one base that has a substantially large number of civilian contractors and very few military personal. This base is more like a depot/motor pool.

Because of the diminished military personal the base got rid of its food service operations. So what is left is a vending room. That vending room is located on one side of the base.

The civilian contractors, all Union members start work at 7AM. At 8:30am they go out on there first fifteen minute break.

The location where we service equipment on this base is outdoors. We know exactly when its 8:30am because the entire base goes silent.

Ok so I get the fact that these guys deserve a break but here is the UNION Twist to the story. We could never figure out why this so called 15 minute break took the Union guys between 45 minutes to an hour to return back to there work location. So one day I was talking to my military contacts at the base. They tell me that the agreement they have to honor with the union is that the actual break does not start until the last guy enters the vending (or) break room. So every year when we go to this base we watch and time the work flow. Weve figured that in an 8 hour work day these guys perform about 3.5 hours of actual work.

A side note to that story. I was telling this to one of my best friends in Arizona. He's the senior estimator for an industrial contractor. He says, "Hey I got one that is just as good or better."

His guys are all Union. They were doing construction at a power plant on a new building. They had approximately 12-15 guys working on the second floor of the project. The only access was a construction elevator that held four guys. Operator, and three workers. The elevator trip down and back up was around ten minutes.

Here is the Union twist. When his guys would go on the mandatory breaks, the break did not officially start until all his guys were located in the designated break area. That was on the ground floor of the project outside under a tent. He said that a 15 minute break for his guys was an average of one hour. When they went to the Union Reps and asked them to allow the breaks to start sequentially as each group of guys arrived in the break area, the Union response was NO!!!. "Our guys are a brotherhood and they all have a right to be together for the alloted time."

Comment

Here is a story where a contractor I knew lost his business because of Unions.

This guy was very well known in restaurant construction. He built every House of Blues, night club in the US, along with countless other high end specialty chains.

His demise was the teamsters when he was contracted to build two restaurants in Disney's California Adventure when it was first being built. He operated a non-union shop, however because the project was Union, he made sure he paid his guys scale and the required benefits package. What pisssed off the Union is the fact that they saw none of that money and they could not force his guys to join.

So in retaliation they controlled the delivery of his equipment to the job sight. The job sight was so big that all equipment deliveries were staged at a large empty lot a couple of miles from the construction sight. A plot of land Disney owned. As a contractor you coordinated with your vendors on specific dates for your equipment to arrive. The vendor would have the equipment/truck etc arrive hours ahead of time at the staging area. Then the teamsters would coordinate the time the truck could leave the staging area to go to the construction sight for off-load. What the Teamsters did was delay his deliveries, or when they sent a truck over to the actual job sight, conveniently there was no crane service, or no fork lifts available. This went on for months, delaying him from finishing the project on time. What killed him financially was the fact that part of the contract was a performance guarantee for varies stages of competition. Remember this is a Disney Park so it all needed to be completed at the same time. When he missed completion time-lines he was fined heavily.

In the end not only did he loose his business because of the Union actions, so did two other contractors on the job sight. The landscaper, and another.

Edit Add:

I forget to add this part. Since his guys were non-union the Teamsters would not allow them to drive there trucks on the job sight. So they had to park off sight at the staging are and be bused in with the other workers. If they needed something off there truck, they had to ride the laborer bus back to the trucks, get what they needed and then ride the bus back. So to combat the problem they brought in extra Job-Boxes, loaded those up to work out of. The Union guys didn't like the fact that they were beating them at there own games so they would go out at night and fork the Job-Boxes to other locations on the job sight. Remember this a big Ars Disney Project. So in the morning they would have to go hunt down the Job-Boxes that were missing and get the Union guys to move the boxes back. When the confronted them, the response was, "Oh, we thought one of your guys asked us to move the box to that other location."
        Last edited by Watersurgeon; 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I have a very good friend who was a non-union electrician on a job the Unions thought they owned. He was hired by the HVAC contractor to run all of the control wires on a large school project. To get even with him the Union electricians dropped large rocks down his conduits in the ground. What they missed was he was working on the roof above them. No ladder needed he jumped off of the roof and kicked some IBEW butt. The IBEW decided he was deranged and did not bother him again after that.

These of course are exceptions but it just goes to show how some feel entitled to all work Union or not.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Was in the carpenters and Pile Butt. onions for Years in 4 states. I was a union Steward in S.F. on a Hi rise. I went to the Supt. and Bitched about the Laborers stealing our work, and a missing safety cable on an elevator shaft . Was fired, called B.A. Came out and yucked it up with supt. never came to see Me! Transferred to Pile butts. More like Iron Workers, "MEN" Carpenters were Balless,
            back stabbers. Screw them all, I do My own thing, work for My self.B.AS Are polls , Pigs at the troth, just like D.C.NOT A DIMES DIFFERENCE!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Another Military base:

Ten years ago we get a job solicitation for replacing a high temp, high pressure wash down and oil separation unit/scrubber at a Marine Corps, heavy vehicle maintenance yard.

So I gathered up three other subs I know that would need to be involved on the project. Load everyone in my truck and drive out to this base for the walk through. We drive out to the equipment pad to take a look at the existing equipment. (There were three other companies already there, waiting around)

I'm expecting there existing equipment skid it to be all run down, etc.. Turns out the existing equipment they wanted to replace was only a couple years old. After further review I determine that the thing just needs to be serviced and then put on a routine maintenance program and daily back washing of the media beds by the base staff. After about a half hour a team of three JAG officers show up to go over the solicitation, (At this base the only people involved in contract are the JAG personnel) plus two Union Reps for the civil service guys working in the motor pool.

The JAG officers give us all hand outs. As my guys and I are reviewing the hand outs one of the "NEW" solicitation requirements is that the awarded contractor must provide for a period of one year, 15 minute call back response on any calls the Union Guys make and a one hour response for a guy on sight for repairs etc... WTF me and my buddies are saying under our breath.

So when it came time for the customary RFI's from the contractors I say, "Hey is there any reason why the Marines Corps does not want the existing equipment repaired. It's fairly new, still within the current technology and can be fixed for a couple thousand bucks." (The solicitation for the replacement was around $75,000.00) The JAG officers all looked at each with the puzzled look of "WTF is he talking about."

I walked everyone over to the equipment skid and explained what was wrong with the system. When I got to the part about backwashing some of the larger filter units I said this. "Once you get the system up and running, all we need to do is train the staff here to come out twice a day and back wash the filter....." The minute I said that the two Union Hacks started barking out comments like this.

"Are guys are not paid to come out here and turn valves on and of...move levers."

"That type of additional work is not in the scope of our contract with the Marine Corps."

"We expect the Marine Corps to replace this equipment and that's what we expect to happen."

I looked at these two knuckle heads and said the following verbatim:

"So what you want is the tax payer to replace perfectly good equipment because you say so....OK, Mr. Wizard when we finish installing all this new equipment who's going to come out here and turn the valves and levers and back wash the filter media, because that's one of the key fundamental requirements for the end user to do on a daily basis to keep the new equipment operating."

The Union hacks look at the JAG officers and say this.

"We expect that new equipment, and we expect who ever you contract out to install the equipment to provide what ever daily maintenance is required. The only responsibility our guys are going to take is the pushing of the On/Off button to start the system." and they turned and walked back to there office inside the motor pool.

I am now looking at the JAG officers and said, "Your going to need to revise your budget if you expect any one of us, (I'm pointing to the other contractors) to come out and maintain this equipment on a daily basis." then I follow up with this comment, "In my 25 plus years of industrial water treatment contracting I have never heard of a end user that refused to maintain the equipment."

The JAG officers are looking at each other and the senior of the group, says, "Sorry guys we can't get any more money for this project. If they, (His pointing to the Union Hacks walking away) need it maintained by the contractor on a daily basis, then we are required to meet that obligation."

The next words out of mouth are "Good Fuc.ing Luck with that request. Thanks for allowing us to come out and review the bid, but no thanks were going to pass on that one. After I said that the other three contractors looked at the JAG guys and said, "Thanks but no thanks for us too."

So all the contractors pack up and leave and the JAG guys are just standing there dumb founded.

The very next day I get a call from the Head JAG officer, I think he was a colonel. Anyways he's begging me to come back out and bid the project. (What he knew and I knew was that if we bid the project we would have been awarded the contract, because the other three companies were manufacture reps from out of state, and they had no contractors license in California. Since I'm licensed, have stellar reputation with the Corps it was pretty much ours.) I just spelled it out in plain English and declined. I never did go back out to find out what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                Another Military base:

Ten years ago we get a job solicitation for replacing a high temp, high pressure wash down and oil separation unit/scrubber at a Marine Corps, heavy vehicle maintenance yard.

So I gathered up three other subs I know that would need to be involved on the project. Load everyone in my truck and drive out to this base for the walk through. We drive out to the equipment pad to take a look at the existing equipment. (There were three other companies already there, waiting around)

I'm expecting there existing equipment skid it to be all run down, etc.. Turns out the existing equipment they wanted to replace was only a couple years old. After further review I determine that the thing just needs to be serviced and then put on a routine maintenance program and daily back washing of the media beds by the base staff. After about a half hour a team of three JAG officers show up to go over the solicitation, (At this base the only people involved in contract are the JAG personnel) plus two Union Reps for the civil service guys working in the motor pool.

The JAG officers give us all hand outs. As my guys and I are reviewing the hand outs one of the "NEW" solicitation requirements is that the awarded contractor must provide for a period of one year, 15 minute call back response on any calls the Union Guys make and a one hour response for a guy on sight for repairs etc... WTF me and my buddies are saying under our breath.

So when it came time for the customary RFI's from the contractors I say, "Hey is there any reason why the Marines Corps does not want the existing equipment repaired. It's fairly new, still within the current technology and can be fixed for a couple thousand bucks." (The solicitation for the replacement was around $75,000.00) The JAG officers all looked at each with the puzzled look of "WTF is he talking about."

I walked everyone over to the equipment skid and explained what was wrong with the system. When I got to the part about backwashing some of the larger filter units I said this. "Once you get the system up and running, all we need to do is train the staff here to come out twice a day and back wash the filter....." The minute I said that the two Union Hacks started barking out comments like this.

"Are guys are not paid to come out here and turn valves on and of...move levers."

"That type of additional work is not in the scope of our contract with the Marine Corps."

"We expect the Marine Corps to replace this equipment and that's what we expect to happen."

I looked at these two knuckle heads and said the following verbatim:

"So what you want is the tax payer to replace perfectly good equipment because you say so....OK, Mr. Wizard when we finish installing all this new equipment who's going to come out here and turn the valves and levers and back wash the filter media, because that's one of the key fundamental requirements for the end user to do on a daily basis to keep the new equipment operating."

The Union hacks look at the JAG officers and say this.

"We expect that new equipment, and we expect who ever you contract out to install the equipment to provide what ever daily maintenance is required. The only responsibility our guys are going to take is the pushing of the On/Off button to start the system." and they turned and walked back to there office inside the motor pool.

I am now looking at the JAG officers and said, "Your going to need to revise your budget if you expect any one of us, (I'm pointing to the other contractors) to come out and maintain this equipment on a daily basis." then I follow up with this comment, "In my 25 plus years of industrial water treatment contracting I have never heard of a end user that refused to maintain the equipment."

The JAG officers are looking at each other and the senior of the group, says, "Sorry guys we can't get any more money for this project. If they, (His pointing to the Union Hacks walking away) need it maintained by the contractor on a daily basis, then we are required to meet that obligation."

The next words out of mouth are "Good Fuc.ing Luck with that request. Thanks for allowing us to come out and review the bid, but no thanks were going to pass on that one. After I said that the other three contractors looked at the JAG guys and said, "Thanks but no thanks for us too."

So all the contractors pack up and leave and the JAG guys are just standing there dumb founded.

The very next day I get a call from the Head JAG officer, I think he was a colonel. Anyways he's begging me to come back out and bid the project. (What he knew and I knew was that if we bid the project we would have been awarded the contract, because the other three companies were manufacture reps from out of state, and they had no contractors license in California. Since I'm licensed, have stellar reputation with the Corps it was pretty much ours.) I just spelled it out in plain English and declined. I never did go back out to find out what happened.
                Thank's for that amazing story. The Unions,early on, did a great Job to support the masses of abused workers. They have gone off the tracks years ago. This story needs of Yours needs to go NATIONAL!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Many years ago we owned a construction company specializing in low income housing. As part of that we started a security company with a couple of hundred guards. One year we decided to do a trade show for a HUD trade show. I had my finish carpenter build a really nice oak display out of four sheets of 4 X 8 oak plywood which was all trimmed out and had ledges for pictures and hand outs. It was all assembled with door hinges so all he had to do was stand it up and slide a hinge pin in to hold it together. When he showed up to the convention center he called to say they would not let him carry anything in with him and would have to hire a teamster to carry it in. We hired the teamster to roll it in on our custom made cart ($300 for 5 minutes). Then we were told we had to hire a union carpenter to assembly the display. They wanted another $300 to assembly the four panels which involved sliding in 6 hinges pins. While the teamster left to get the number for the Union carpenter vendor I had Rob but the display up real quick. After the show I had Rob break down the display and head for the truck. Before the Union knew it I saved myself $900 for 30-minutes of work.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Unions will be the slow painful death of this country. They are a cancer.
                    26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                      Unions will be the slow painful death of this country. They are a cancer.
                      Unions are struggling to keep workers jobs and standard of living in a country doomed by greedy corporations, shortsighted investors and morons. The cancer that needs to be removed is whoever stood by and allowed millions of American jobs to leave for slave wages and no OSHA and EPA oversight. The jobs did not leave because of Unions, but then again people who know better understand that. The cancer is a workforce that can and will work for a fraction of our minimum wage. Don't worry, we are already dead and people who vilify Unions while supporting the corporations that moved to enrich a communist country helped. Amazing how mixed up and wrong some folks are.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Unions are struggling to keep workers jobs and standard of living in a country doomed by greedy corporations, shortsighted investors and morons. The cancer that needs to be removed is whoever stood by and allowed millions of American jobs to leave for slave wages and no OSHA and EPA oversight. The jobs did not leave because of Unions, but then again people who know better understand that. The cancer is a workforce that can and will work for a fraction of our minimum wage. Don't worry, we are already dead and people who vilify Unions while supporting the corporations that moved to enrich a communist country helped. Amazing how mixed up and wrong some folks are.
                        This is how Union workers act. They harrass people with mob mentality if they dont get their way. They are simply pissed that they were not HIRED. Listen to the crybabies...."I wanna work..we wanna work....hire us...why didn't you hire us.....hire a real professional.. Thats what they say.....along with foul language. Their punks and bullies and if I owned that company theu would have been dealt with.
                        Last edited by TheMaster; 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

This one takes the cake and its by your beloved Verizon union workers.

Nice language in front of his daughter...and he puts her in front of the truck instead of himself...even worse. If I had been in the Verizon truck I would have got out and beat his azz in front of his daughter to teach her the real lesson.....your daddy is an idiot and this is what happens to idiots.
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 09-05-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Here is another. personally if I had been driving the Verizon truck I would have been really scared.......I would have had to floor it and get out of there.

More abuse....
                            Last edited by TheMaster; 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

And now the U.S. Postal Service is about to go down.

U.S. Postal Service close to default | GantDaily.com

J.C.

Comment

Here is lady just trying to make her delivery of bagels. I'm sure she has a family to feed but it takes 2 or 3 cops to escort her into the building.

Comment

Working...
                                X