X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Making

I decided to delete my posts and not contribute any longer.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 09-27-2011, 07:59 AM.

Re: Knife Making

I used to buy the stock blades from the smokey mountain knife works and make the handles, but I've never tried working the steel.
    Hadn't done it since high school though, I'm probably detail oriented enough now to make a better go of it than I did when I was a kid.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

some say to use leaf springs
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When you get around to putting an edge on your project knife or want to shapen just about any knife, I suggest you look into this system. I bought my machine from harbor freight and bought the belts 32, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grit from these folks. Takes a little practice but you end up with a razor sharp edge. I've sharpened machetes, axes, tactical and kitchen knives.
        Yahoo! Video Detail for 1x30 Belt Sander

Comment

I use to make a lot of these. They are really good for protection plus you could still brush your teeth. In addition, when they had a sweep it was only a snap and a flush from the treatment plant.

Mark

J/K
          Attached Files
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I use to make a lot of these. They are really good for protection plus you could still brush your teeth. In addition, when they had a sweep it was only a snap and a flush from the treatment plant.

Mark

J/K
            Mark, you are scaring me, good thing I have protection.
            Attached Files

Comment

3/8" birch dowel same length as pencil. Take charcoal and color a faux lead tip. do same on end ,only small circle.Fast thrust ,top of chest into neck . Goes into brain. Game over. Been throwing this into plastic tub for TSA since 911. I'm not going to see Young kids die
              from Yemenite scum. I've lived a full life .
              Last edited by toolaholic; 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark

J/K
                lol, I won 50 in Afghan by making one. We got bored so the bet was who can make the best prision shank with only prision styles tools. My other shiv was made from toilet paper.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

next time we get together for dinner, remind me to show you how i push a $100.00 bill through a lime. sure a $1.00 bill will work too, but a hundy looks more impressive, plus i get to keep it when i win the bet

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

This is a pretty easy project if you have an Oxy Acetylene set up and an anvil a vice and a grinder of some sort. The steel works well and takes a sharp edge. You can re-harden the blade after you get it shaped and polished

Attachment Attachment
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

You can use old files also but the steel if very hard so working it is difficult. You can anneal it and then re-temper or work it with a grinder if you are careful not to over heat the steel and loose the temper. I use files to make lathe tools all the time.
                      sigpic

Comment

A good supple of used Hi carbon steel ,for chisels and knives Stick shift handle big truck [ ever snapped one ? ]. Truck axles. leaf springs. Go to the anvil fire web site. Want some fun? Build a zoller Propane forge. Lots of knife makers use them. Have fun.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I built a forge out of an old 100lb propane tank last year that can either be coal or propane fired. The nice thing about propane is that you don't have to play with a bellows or fan and you don't have to mess with the coals either but coal fired gets hotter faster. Propane is only good for smaller projects. I'll tell you what's hard and that's finding a good older used anvil. Used to find them at garage sales all the time but not anymore and a new one will cost you dearly.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            I built a forge out of an old 100lb propane tank last year that can either be coal or propane fired. The nice thing about propane is that you don't have to play with a bellows or fan and you don't have to mess with the coals either but coal fired gets hotter faster. Propane is only good for smaller projects. I'll tell you what's hard and that's finding a good older used anvil. Used to find them at garage sales all the time but not anymore and a new one will cost you dearly.
                            I have a huge ships anvil,You don't want to move it. Some fun for your forge, go ROLAND METAL ART. Check out the plumber, and Man reading newspaper in out house. GOT RAIL ROAD SPIKES? I have 2- 5 gal. pails of them. Wish You were closer,You could have plenty of them

Comment

Working...
                            X