X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truthful American Standard

I'm referring to my bathroom sink faucets which date to the late fifties. Great design and build quality. Over the last twenty years I have replaced the seats and washer fixtures, simple job and solves the leak. Heavy rain here today so I got out my tools and fixed the cold water side in my spare bathroom. This time I removed the brass seat and polished it smooth on my 1x30 belt sander fitted with a leather stroping belt. I found some spare washer heads at my father inlaws house. They are shaped sort of like a mushroom and fit over the part that contacts the seat. No more leak and I did something useful. I have had brand new moen and pris fister(sp) fixtures that had leaked shortly after installation and did not take a repair well. I like American Standard, good name and product. Frank

Re: Truthful American Standard

I prefer the more modern designs in my house. On the job as well unless the retro style faucets are requested.

Comment

I'm not against upgrading to a more modern look but as a homeowner I prefer to stick with something that can be easily repaired and lasts. The toilets are also from the same era and except for a wax ring and some tank parts they are fine. I changed the flush handle at my father inlaws house twice in the last five years on a relatively new toilet. . Plastic doesn't seem to last as long as metal for some things. Frank

Comment

Yeah, I like the look of the new stuff much better and it is certainly serviceable as long as a guy doesn't purchase the bottom of the line.

Comment

That about sums up my price range and what home depot carries.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
            I had a kohler faucet a few months back that the redesigned Kohler parts would not correct. I fabricated a new seal out of sheet rubber that solved my problem. Kohler did offer to send me a new valve to their credit. Kinda a drastic move because you dont wanna make the proper parts for your faucets......This was one of their high end faucets.

Kohlers price for a spring and a couple o rings and a diverter washer that wouldn't work......30.00 plus shipping. They didn't offer a refund and to tell you the truth it wasn't worth my trouble to ask.
            I always seem to have problems replacing the the handle plate on the new Kohler tub/shower valves....they always leak. They just don't seat right for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I have had brand new moen and pris fister(sp) fixtures that had leaked shortly after installation and did not take a repair well. I like American Standard, good name and product. Frank
              Moen is the absolute easiest faucet to repair.

Price pfister is junk IMO.

Best faucet I've seen to date that's built like a tank is..the old school Kohler Niedecken tub/shower faucet.

Rarely see American standard faucets around here. I might of seen 1 in my 25 years.

Comment

Something is very wrong when professionals are forced to accept substandard parts and materials. I would think with modern production methods including computer driven machines, the end product should be better than worse. You must have call backs because of these defects? I know atuo mechanics must redo plenty of jobs because of defective parts. My wife had a new headlight switch and multifunction switch replaced last month and her headlights are not working again. I know the multifunction switch is defective, now I hope the mechanic will be able to get credit for the part and reinstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Moen is the absolute easiest faucet to repair.

Price pfister is junk IMO.

Best faucet I've seen to date that's built like a tank is..the old school Kohler Niedecken tub/shower faucet.

Rarely see American standard faucets around here. I might of seen 1 in my 25 years.
                  I installed a moen in my kitchen a few year back when we remodeled. Within two years it started to drip and I replaced the o-ring module. Still leaked, so I installed an American Standard no problems since except for the spray handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Something is very wrong when professionals are forced to accept substandard parts and materials. I would think with modern production methods including computer driven machines, the end product should be better than worse. You must have call backs because of these defects?
                    You wouldn't be surprised with the junk that's on the market Plumbing wise.

Today I had to install an Aqua Source lav faucet this realtor/re-habber bought...the spout was crooked right out of the box. The worst thing these Manufactures have done is...the plastic pop-ups. That's one thing that HAS to be metal IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      You wouldn't be surprised with the junk that's on the market Plumbing wise.

Today I had to install an Aqua Source lav faucet this realtor/re-habber bought...the spout was crooked right out of the box. The worst thing these Manufactures have done is...the plastic pop-ups. That's one thing that HAS to be metal IMO.
                      They think that by spraying the plastic with a chrome finish it will hold up. I have a shower spray handle that is splitting open along the seam, all plastic with the strong chrome paint. How many times do I have to change these things and keep the packaging and warrantee information?

Comment

They want them to fail. Got to have turnover.

Two votes for the Grohe Ladylux. Installed many, no problems. Unfortunately for me, I can't remember the last time repairing one.

J.C.

Comment

One thing that can happen and I forgot about this....I have repaired a couple but its been a while ago. The customer will call with a complaint of low volume...most will claim its a pressure problem on the phone. Anyway its the black and yellow check valve thats went bad........replace that and your good to go. Just dont let the slinky attack you.
                          I have heard of this. But it was described to me as a problem with the quick connect. Probably the same. Never seen it though.

I've had the slinky fly more than once when I pull that little pin on installation.

J.C.

Comment

Let's see a show of hands on how many of you BROKE that quick-connect check valve?

I've been attacked by the slinky before.

I do have a Lady Luxe that needs to be fixed coming up soon...low volume. First time I ever worked on one for that problem.

Comment

I've never broke the quick connect. It had an O ring seal on the threaded end and the other side just quick connects. I would take one with me if I had a low volume/pressure call for a ladylux. I've replaced 3 or 4 of them.......none in faucets I installed by luck!

Whats funny is to watch a handyman or a homeowner try to remove one. Now thats a treat. I've seen both. very funny.
                              I carried the "wheel" forever, but finally chunked it. Probably need it by the end of the week.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X