Netflix, what the hell are you doing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix, what the hell are you doing!

I think we might all get to watch a company commit suicide right before our own eyes. I can't believe the decisions that are being made there at the moment. They are taking one of the countries most amazing success stories out there, that steam rolled the competition, and possibly sinking it like the titanic!

Here's a link to an apology letter from their CEO I got this morning...

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expl...id=netflixBlog

I think Reed Hastings has lost his marbles!

Re: Netflix, what the hell are you doing!

you could always tune into the ridgid forum. it's free

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you could always tune into the ridgid forum. it's free

rick.
      Trust me, I have more hours here than probably watching netflix... LOL

I just don't get it. I understand that the physical media business is a dying vine, but why spin it off, just slowly prune it, and when its no longer viable, fire sale the inventory and close down that branch. Seems like a better idea. My guess is they will sell off the by-mail business within a year.

Comment

I heard or read somewhere that on a typical evening Netflix accounts for something like 30% or 50% of all broadband usage. I'm fuzzy on the numbers, but it was a very significant portion.
        Couple that fact with the fact that government is toying with ideas of taxing or charging companies based on their broadband usage, and that becomes very scary for netflix's overhead and long term story. Here's a screenshot of the stock chart. 2011-09-19_0950 - Poundcake's library . If I were the CEO, I would be writing apology letters too.

Comment

What's he doing that is so wrong? He's divided (diversified) the company basically into two divisions. That may not be a bad thing. The bandwidth thing IS going to get out of control. Remember "Net Neutrality" that went down without much hoopla? I can envision a scenario where providers absolutely hammer them with fees citing bandwidth usage.

They would then have to pass that on to the consumer. The consumer would balk at the increase in streaming fees and drop the service. The mail service may save them.

Just thinking out loud.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            What's he doing that is so wrong? He's divided (diversified) the company basically into two divisions. That may not be a bad thing. The bandwidth thing IS going to get out of control. Remember "Net Neutrality" that went down without much hoopla? I can envision a scenario where providers absolutely hammer them with fees citing bandwidth usage.

They would then have to pass that on to the consumer. The consumer would balk at the increase in streaming fees and drop the service. The mail service may save them.

Just thinking out loud. J.C.
            I had that very conversation with one of my IT guys a few days ago. The only saving grace for me is the area where I live. Its a metro test center for technology. It was one of the first cities in the nation to get high speed cable. Now AT&T is the process of installing fiber optics through out the city in an attempt to compete with the COX Cable. So COX is doing everything they can to save there accounts. When we first got Cable 11 years ago, we streamed 750K up and around 2.7megs down. Just ran a test as I posted this and my download is 21megs, upload is at 5 megs.

The biggest problem I have with Netflix is using it on a computer. They utilize Micro(joke)soft's Silverlight streaming software. This software will only allow you to buffer a few minutes of stream, so half the time movies start out Choppy. The reason we were told is so movies cannot be directly copied to a hard drive. Netflix on our WII runs smoothly, as the WII downloads the entire movie as it plays.

Comment

Watching.

Netflix Gets 57% Cheaper for Amazon-to-Google Acquirer: Real M&A - Businessweek

J.C.

Comment

Working...
              X