X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 2

So, I watched that nifty video of you Rick VS the auto cutter on copper.

I couldn't watch it all. Since my connection is a turd. But it said you won.

I think round 2 is in order. Level the playing field more. Do it in a tight spot.

Afterall, that machine isn't really for when you have a piece of pipe in your lap in a hotel room. It's for tight spots.

I'll put dinner on the auto cutter. And, I bet it beats ya by a fair margin! Prolly 5 to 1.

And how about a sectional vs drum machine challenge?
    And press VS solder.
    And me vs you. Milkshake drinking contest. You get one of them fear factor milkshakes, and I get the one pictured on your avatar.

Re: Round 2

if it was a real contest, we would not have had to cut 108 pieces of tubing at once.

realize i was a good 2 to 1 at the first half of the contest. it's when i started to sweat and get blisters as i forgot my gloves that i started to slow down and ben caught up.

a realistic contest would have been a couple dozen cuts. not when the battery died at 105 cuts and i had 108

i've tried to setup a drum vrs. sectional at the roundups, but it never truly happened.

a true contest is from the time you park the truck to the time to drive away. not just the snaking time.

i know the k-60 sectional overall on average is a faster machine drive-up to drive-away. this is based on the fact that not every cleanout is sitting on a front lawn waiting for you. then take into account steps, access to the cleanout and ladders/ roofs. crawlspaces and loading and unloading/ transport. weight factor/ manpower.

there is no contest propress vrs solder.

if you watched my plumbers milkshake video, it was a fear factor shake. the 4 blade cutter was a used sewer cutter

the shake in my avatar was a $6.00 shake. we'd go broke drinking those all day.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Blisters? How long has it been since you were in the field?!

And, sectional vs drum, that should be easy to set up. Just find some tract homes next door to each other and run out to the mains. Because that is about as equal as it will get. Not real sure you would ever get 2 identical sewer layouts with identical stoppages. When I ran drums, we had a little cherry picker lift that maybe took 1 minute to pick the General up in it. I don't think you could go toe to toe with drums on speed. one on one a 60 VS a drum would probably be embarrasing on ground cleanouts, or up stairs. Only advantage the 60 would have is roofs imo. And inside a house, The drum guy would already be on the plane going back home by the time the 60 guy got done. Unless there were no rules on keeping things clean.

And more than 1 milk shake? That looks like a meal to me.

Comment

next time you try cutting 3/4'' type l copper for speed and tell me when the sweat and blisters start forming. believe me they will.

don't make up a contest you don't plan on attending. i've been to them all without flaking.

when you've run as many sewers for as many years with as many machines, you'll know what machine is the fastest on an overall average basis. remember the time it takes to get a 250# drum up the stairs and back again. or down basement steps not wide enough to roll a drum.

i can feed my sectional a lot faster than the 22' a minute from an auto feeder.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Ah, that may be where the problem lies. I hardly, if ever, used the auto feeder.

As for stairs in general, the General had a little roller helper thingy on it to help. As for too narrow to get the machine down, well that is kinda far fetched around here. I don't think I have ever seen stairs that narrow. In my entire life around here. May be more common in your area.

I'll show up for a sectional vs drum. But the drum guy has to be a firm believer in drums. No crazy scenario. Because, there are plenty for both sides of that debate.

And that wasn't my real intention anyways with this thread!
          Just thought your contest vs the machine was a little stacked in your favor.
          And I would show up for the milkshake contest. Hell, I would move for that kind of milkshake!

Comment

and how was it stacked in my favor.

stacked would be a shorter contest. not an endurance contest. real is straight up cutting. not a marathon.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I wasn't there, but I watched the video. Rick looked like he won fair & square all the way around to me.

I don't believe it was real world scenario or proof of superiority towards one tool or the other. (I don't own the Milwaukee by the way.) And a waste of a copper pipe.

But it did appear fair and Rick cut the most in the allotted battery time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I wasn't there, but I watched the video. Rick look like he won fair & square all the way around to me.

I don't believe it was real world scenario or proof of superiority towards one tool or the other. (I don't own the Milwaukee by the way.) And a waste of a copper pipe.

But it did appear fair and Rick cut the most in the allotted battery time.

J.C.
                You guys run a lot of pex over there.If it was still a copper only world you would have one and love it.I'm still 98% copper on my system installs.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  You guys run a lot of pex over there.If it was still a copper only world you would have one and love it.I'm still 98% copper on my system installs.
                  I would be so slow on copper now you wouldn't be able to tolerate me. Probably start throwing Channellocks my way. Can't even "think" in the way one has too to keep it rolling. You know....three steps ahead.

Cut, bend, crimp. Muy bien!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I would be so slow on copper now you wouldn't be able to tolerate me. Probably start throwing Channellocks my way. Can't even "think" in the way one has too to keep it rolling. You know....three steps ahead.

Cut, bend, crimp. Muy bien!

J.C.
                    Nope,No channel locks.I realize the other side of the coin.Can you imagine what this monkey is going to look like with his first house of pex to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Nope,No channel locks.I realize the other side of the coin.Can you imagine what this monkey is going to look like with his first house of pex to complete.
                      Galvanized- Good plumbers can do it.

Copper- Good plumbers can do that as well. Some things much easier. Some other things not.

ProPress- Children can do it.

PEX- Children that don't speak English can do it while wearing blindfolds.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                        Blisters? How long has it been since you were in the field?!

And, sectional vs drum, that should be easy to set up. Just find some tract homes next door to each other and run out to the mains. Because that is about as equal as it will get. Not real sure you would ever get 2 identical sewer layouts with identical stoppages. When I ran drums, we had a little cherry picker lift that maybe took 1 minute to pick the General up in it. I don't think you could go toe to toe with drums on speed. one on one a 60 VS a drum would probably be embarrasing on ground cleanouts, or up stairs. Only advantage the 60 would have is roofs imo. And inside a house, The drum guy would already be on the plane going back home by the time the 60 guy got done. Unless there were no rules on keeping things clean.

And more than 1 milk shake? That looks like a meal to me.
                        Stolen,Rick works alone Are You up to arm wrestle Him ? Be careful what You say!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ha, no arm wresslin for me.

And I didn't really think the auto cutter was made for speed. Thought it was made to make the hard to get to cuts easier. But I don't have one, so I could be way off. Not trying to call Rick out, as just by reading I can tell he knows his ****. Just seems he competed with the machine in a environment it wasn't really designed for. But alas, you did cut the hell out of that pipe! Never seen so many street couplings made in one sitting.

Comment

Working...
                          X