Heavy Load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Load

This is a Zephyr train car being delivered to the new "Track 89 Resort" in Marysvale, Utah.

To transport the passenger car they removed the undercarriage (transported separately) then welded a dolly and hitch to the passenger car. Once it arrived on site they cut the dolly and hitch loose to set it back on the undercarriage.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Heavy Load

Here's two more pictures.

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

Nice pictures! Looks like you took one of those out of the coppola of a caboose, is that right?

When we moved to Painted Post back in 1973, I sort of became a "railfan" of sorts. Mostly for the benefit of our little 3 yr old at the time. To reach Hammondsport and the southern Finger Lake region, there's two daily freights that roll right through Painted Post. Back then they still used cabooses and as the train travels right through the village (at about 10 mph) the guys used to throw candy out to the kids.

While I was never home for the 10:30 run, the 6:00 one was something else to behold. You'd hear this loud scream from one or more of the kids, "TRAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNNN!" and then they'd all be running toward the track, which ran right down street, opposite our back yard.... no fence, no crossing guards, nothing... just the slow rumble and screaming kids waiting for and then scrambling for the candy.

The train still does that twice a day on most days, coming from the Gang Mills switching yard across the river. There they drop the cars off the main line, switch them on to the siding and then bring them through a wye, right through the Ingersoll-Rand (now Dresser-Rand) plant property and up Chemung Street on the way to Bath (20 miles to the west) and then up to Hammondsport on Keuka Lake. The cabooses are long gone though.

The makeup is mostly LP and Chemical cars to the villages and industry in that area. A bit of a scary cargo, considering how old that section of track is. I walked in almost 30 years ago and some of the tie "date nails" go back into the early 1900's.

Thanks again for the post,

CWS

Comment

Ironic you post this as I was discussing Caterpillar the other day with someone. He made a trip to one of their plants out west and was showing me pictures. I told him they just acquired a large mining equipment company and just couldn't remember the name. Little while before you posted this it hit me....Bucyrus! So I was poking around there and looking at specs. The big one of this type they manufacture has an operating weight of over 2 million pounds! Heavy Load.

https://mining.cat.com/cda/layout?m=435122

J.C.

Comment

Speaking of mining, I am the President of the newly formed "Deer Creek Mining & Resource Preservation Corporation" in Marysvale, Utah.

Mark

Comment

I want a caboose or two for our Sierra property. Any ideas?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yeowsa, no room for navigation errors there! That is a DOT permit and a half to move something that long!
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                They are readily available and not to expensive. The real cost is moving them because the undercarraige is one shipment and the caboose another. Then you have to have your rails ready and a crane for unloading and assembly.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Welcome to - Cabooses4sale.Com
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Congrats Mark! Pics are awesome
                    Plumber Raleigh -new website
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X