X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumb your own house?

I would absolutely Plumb the new house I just bought...if I was allowed.

The silliness I see today from "New Home Plumbers" makes me want to pull my hair out and smack someone upside their head. For example..why in the world would you install a stack through the roof crooked, in where the entire neighborhood can see what an a$$hat you are? The sloppiness I see "all because it's going to be covered up with drywall" is absolutely bush-league, and very un-professional. If it's sloppy and crooked...it doesn't matter to builders, as long as it passes code.

I will be taking pictures during the construction phase of our house, and I'll let my peers here decide what to think on the Plumbing & Heating.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      I would never be happy with someone else's work. I don't care how immaculate it is, I'd find something i'd have done differently, and It would bug me forever.
      Agreed.

Comment

About 2 years ago I did my repipe (galv to copper). I designed it the way I wanted it, used the materials I wanted, and worried about things like cleaning the flux off well and securing the lines to allow for expansion so the hot water lines wouldnt' creak, etc.

I also did some drain changes as part of a remodel and found some not-so-good venting practices. Plastic though... easy to re-do.

The repipe job was miserable. It's no fun under there, especially if you're working alone. Maybe pex next time. Looks like much less work. I do worry about the connectors. Copper is expensive and slow but if you can solder (and have no water chemistry issues), it's reliable.

Comment

All of the systems are pretty reliable, except poly.

But ya, repiping soldering underneath a house is a pain. Imagine making a lead/oakum repair under there back in the day..

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            The silliness I see today from "New Home Plumbers" makes me want to pull my hair out and smack someone upside their head. For example..why in the world would you install a stack through the roof crooked, in where the entire neighborhood can see what an a$$hat you are? The sloppiness I see "all because it's going to be covered up with drywall" is absolutely bush-league, and very un-professional. If it's sloppy and crooked...it doesn't matter to builders, as long as it passes code.

One of my old bosses (residential new homes) would REAAAAM his plumbing sub royally for crooked stacks. If it did not look perfect, he would make em tear it out and re do it. A backcharge was heading their way from the framer as well, the boss would make them re-do that section of OSB on the roof, as the boss did not want large or random holes in his roof.(or tin patches) That plumber learned his lesson after 10 houses or so, would go good for a month and start doing crooked stacks again.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i plumbed my own house 19 years ago with copper and no hub.

if i did it all over again, i would use plastic waste and pex water. along with csst gas coming off of a gal steel main with gal tees. csst tees are too spendy.

remember that over the years between all the new construction, service and drain cleaning and camera work, i know what works and what stays clean. a properly installed plastic waste system will stay pretty much spotless. a properly installed no hub waste system will still pit and rust.

pex seems like a no brainer with a manifold home run system.

and csst will eliminate a lot of extra fittings and work. also allows for movement during a quake. nothing to snap like a thread.

ps. money is not a deciding factor either. longevity and what i feel is best is the determining factor.

rick.
              Sounds good to me also..Except I would run a csst manifold system as well...No mention of a tankless water heater with recirc line ? And NO PROPRESS
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

the tankless is a waste of time, money and reliability based on my personal observations with my customers and the one at my house.

the propress would be great if i was doing copper, but the pex i have the tool for is the wirsboro expansion type.

the csst manifold i see is typical of medium pressure and it's not very common for our gas co to provide elevated pressure for residential single family homes.

but i would seriously think about a grey water system for the landscaping.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Wirsbo Pex under slab sleaved for the water(don't like the manabloc)

Steel Pipe for Gas(Black made in the USA)

PVC for DWV

Eternal Hybrid Water Heater

AC I'd do Ductless
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                  http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I would, there are plenty of DIY magazines and books on Amazon, if it doesn't leak why not?
                    Hope my husband doesn't read this post
                    Plumber Raleigh -new website
                    sigpic

Comment

Lord no. I know what I'm good at, and serious plumbing is not my strong suit. If I tried to put in a new bathroom, I'd probably end up watering the lawn every time I flushed LOL. I would change the washers in my faucets though - I'm pretty sure I could get that much done

Comment

Working...
                      X