X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Was Busy, What's Your Excuse?

When I think back over the last forty or so years and wonder how things got so bad, I remember my preoccupations with life. I was working five to seven days a week, ten to fourteen hours a day, commuting two hours a day, rebuilding two homes, repairing and maintaining a dozen or so cars and trying to be a good husband and father. While I was busy doing that, the crooks in white collars robbed me blind of my stock investments. The legislators I voted for took care of their friends and themselves, and forgot the rest of us. Were you busy too, or did you know where things were headed all these years?

Re: I Was Busy, What's Your Excuse?

i was lazy, i was hoping you busy people was going to take care of this for me also.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I wasn't born yet, then I wasn't old enough to vote. After that, I was sent to other continents.

Remember, Democracy can only provide to those who show up to receive it. So do a favor for people in the same position as I? Show up for those who cannot be there.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        I wasn't born yet, then I wasn't old enough to vote. After that, I was sent to other continents.

Remember, Democracy can only provide to those who show up to receive it. So do a favor for people in the same position as I? Show up for those who cannot be there.
        That's a fair enough request. You've served your country and "We The People", so that's the least we can do in your absense. My only problem is how exactly to accomplish that? I did my job and raised my family, I voted for the candidates who promised to do good. Over the years the folks on wallstreet, leaders in big business and elected officials took every opportunity to further their cause and benefit themselves. They did a lot of damage to our economy and country, along with private citizens who defaulted on mortgages they knew they could not make good on, folks who cheated the system for gov't benefits they did not deserve or contribute towards. I don't know what else I could have done back then, and I'm completely at a loss as to what I can do now! The best I can figure is to vote for the party not in power now and hope at some point they decide to work for the good of the country and majority of people. What can we do when the people in charge refuse to secure our borders, refuse to prosecute the white collar criminals, refuse to run the gov't responsibly, refuse to protect our economy as other gov'ts do?

Comment

Well, in that case, there is some good news, and a model to follow, are those Wall Street protestors. Rather than cause yet another ruckus in front of the White House, as if to expect the Government to do something for them (Yeah right), these people instead decided to do the work themselves, thus tackle the problem right at the source. If the economic woes have been caused by private companies, then those activists shall go there at the companies' doorstep.

Think about it. If businesses can influence the government, then the pressure needs to be placed on the businesses by the populous. It's amasing how fast a company can change it's policies when people no longer wish to conduct business with them.
          Last edited by tailgunner; 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            The best I can figure is to vote for the party not in power now and hope at some point they decide to work for the good of the country and majority of people. What can we do when the people in charge refuse to secure our borders, refuse to prosecute the white collar criminals, refuse to run the gov't responsibly, refuse to protect our economy as other gov'ts do?

The "vote" is a gamble, as it appears that the best lies and the most money to spread those lies to the eyes and ears of the "believers" will be the winners. The worse is yet to come I think, as the Republican dominated Supreme Court has now allowed for "corporations" and any other organisation to fund campaigns without control, filings, or exposure. What you will see (and what we have seen) will be uncontrolled lies of epic proportions and we'll never know who or what was behind those campaigns or really whether there is even a simple basis of truth in any of the statements or acqusations. It will very much be like the American Petroleum Institute's commercials that flood the nightly news.... all is wonderful and jobs galore and technology that will make us all enriched in a land as pure as heaven. Yeah, right?

But for what to do... I honestly don't know. Except perhaps to say that if you wish to vote out those who have the power, then you must do your homework and recognize who exactly that is.

Problem is that we the people, don't see to well. WE certainly don't remember anything past a year or two, and we have absolutely no hindsight. And for all the "don't" that seem to drag on us, it appears that we DO believe all the evils that get pointed at by the politicians in favor. WE do believe that the agenda's of the corporate-favored party are actually good for us, even though history has not evidenced that, and WE do believe that the faults that occur during a sitting President's office are purely the fault of that President, regardless of the events and actions caused by the previous administration.

History seems to be something that we prefer not to be knowledgeable of. It's sort of like your daughter or son asking for the car and you lovingly giving it to them.... totally ignoring the fact that the last several times they occupied it, they drove it into a stone wall. Everything in the past matters when we deal with things in our immediate world, but when it comes to politics, nothing seems to matter.... we simply want to believe that the wrongs of today are exactly as the opposition party says it is. They had no knowledge, they had no part, they had no history that took us to this moment; BUT, they DO have the solutions for the future (please, just forget what they did in the past)!

As far as other governments... well, there's answers out there that none of us would like to hear. We, the people, are great believers in the American dream where our government is the only government that is successful, where politicians are elected by us and will serve "us" without failure, and where corporate America's best interests are in our best interest and where the rich are as fairly taxed as we are, and where it is only the unionist, the poor, the lazy that have leeched the country into it's present condition. We believe that the rich have taken all thier profits fairly and that they spend only in America and that all thier expenditures "trickle down" to nurture all of society who is beneath it.

Sadly though, you can go back to the days of Lincoln and track forward in time the progress of our country and you can see that just about all of the major economic calamities came in the aftermath of one party's support of corporate greed. You can see the great wars fall in the aftermath of the ineptitude of government policies that favored profits over the people.

Honestly, I seriously doubt that we the people will ever really get it right. The system, whether driven by the Republicans or mishandled by the Democrats will always have it's failures and yet it is the only system that progresses forward for "we the people". Dictatorships and kingdoms do not work, nor does rule by fascists or the communists. But, our system seems to be changing much to far to the right and I think that is what we must fear. We can not afford the giveaways that have burdened us into the mud, but so too must we realize that "giveaways" aren't just to the poor, but also to the rich and to the corporations too.

How rich would this country be if we simply taxed profits fairly, doing away with writeoffs and unbridled encentives and handouts. If only the government would treat the monies intrusted to it as investments by the American people and asked for fair returns on those investments from not only the poor, but also the corporations that occupy and work from it's security. I think that "we the people" need to demand much more of our political systems and we need to know what it is we are paying for and we need to know where our politicians are getting their money and we need to know that the "Frank" across the street is not being burdoned any more or less than the Corporation downtown or on the other side of the country.

I have always had a philosophy... I do not give money to anyone who lives better than I do. Likewise I do not give money to charities that spend most of it's contributions on itself, and I firmly believe that there is just so much money in the world and if someone is making drastic amounts well above the rest of us, it is only because they are stealing it. Such is with Wall Street and such is with bankers and such is the way of corporate CEO's. One hands out $Millions in bonuses... then they are stealing it from the stockholders, and the investments over which they are responsible for managing.

But how do we change any of that?

CWS

Comment

"But how do we change any of that?"

Comment

I live in a van down by the river.

Comment

"But how do we change any of that?"

Well, if we can only cast a vote between the two political parties that help get us here, then it's like handing over those car keys to the kid who keeps wrecking your car! We can't change the capitalist end game of outsourcing to slave labor. we can't force the prosecution of white collar criminals or those who simply redistribute our wealth through stock investment to exiting millionaires.
                  We can't force the men who get welfare mothers pregnant to support their children.
                  "But how do we change any of that?", Great question, let me know if anyone has an answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                    I live in a van down by the river.
                    "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway. " ? A joke or an insult, which is it? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      The "vote" is a gamble, as it appears that the best lies and the most money to spread those lies to the eyes and ears of the "believers" will be the winners. The worse is yet to come I think, as the Republican dominated Supreme Court has now allowed for "corporations" and any other organisation to fund campaigns without control, filings, or exposure. What you will see (and what we have seen) will be uncontrolled lies of epic proportions and we'll never know who or what was behind those campaigns or really whether there is even a simple basis of truth in any of the statements or acqusations. It will very much be like the American Petroleum Institute's commercials that flood the nightly news.... all is wonderful and jobs galore and technology that will make us all enriched in a land as pure as heaven. Yeah, right?
                      Whoa let's back this up and take closer look here...

- The Supreme court is NOT dominated by the Republicans. The Republicans hold a 1 seat advantage and Justice Kennedy always seems to be the "middle of the road" type Justice. Hardly the domination like you claim.

- How come you didn't mention anything about the Union kickbacks the Democrats have been getting for decades? Taking taxpayer money and giving it to the Unions and the Unions taking some of that money and pouring it into elections for the Democrats. Isn't that a conflict of interest, and should be illegal because it's tax payer money? I don't want my tax money being used for a Political party I don't support on my own. I'm not even going to get into the "uncontrolled lies of epic proportions" (your words fit well here) for groups like ACORN.

As far as I'm concerned...we are leveling the playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Whoa let's back this up and take closer look here...

- The Supreme court is NOT dominated by the Republicans. The Republicans hold a 1 seat advantage and Justice Kennedy always seems to be the "middle of the road" type Justice. Hardly the domination like you claim.

- How come you didn't mention anything about the Union kickbacks the Democrats have been getting for decades? Taking taxpayer money and giving it to the Unions and the Unions taking some of that money and pouring it into elections for the Democrats. Isn't that a conflict of interest, and should be illegal because it's tax payer money? I don't want my tax money being used for a Political party I don't support on my own. I'm not even going to get into the "uncontrolled lies of epic proportions" (your words fit well here) for groups like ACORN.

As far as I'm concerned...we are leveling the playing field.
                        I'm with you on the Unions being taken care of by democrats in exchange for votes. The republicans get their support from big business, bailouts and looking the other way with white collar crime. In my opinion there is no level playing field because we the people are stuck with a failed economy. Look around, millions unemployed, the majority of our consumer goods made in a communist country which we enrich with our American dollars, gov't spending out of control, no border security and illegals getting healthcare and college educations on our dollar.
                        The playing field is trashed and needs to be made playable again. Get the democrats out of the Unions pockets and get the republicans out of the pockets of their special interest groups. It's about time the politicians work for all of us, if that's possible. No more lobbyists, no more campaign contributions to buy favors.

Comment

Working...
                        X