Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buy American made

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
    I just bought an abrasive disk for a job. It was imported by an outfit from Boston, Mass. on to Ontario, Canada then back to the West Coast of the good old US of A. It was made in Mexico. I ran down to the Home Depot to pick it up and that's about all of the time I had. To purchase a USA product similar to this (if it even exists) would be a huge waste of time and money and incur extra expense added to each job. I can't afford to do that. We live in a global economy and we should get used to it instead of putting down the Americans we say we are trying to help. Shopping at Home Depot doesn't make a guy a bad American. Calling a guy a bad American because he chooses to shop at Home Depot is pretty silly.
    I agree with your post abbott, my only real concern is that our economy just can't recover or sustain itself like this. We are on the losing side of the global economy. We buy all sorts of foreign made electronics and many of us go into debt doing so. We have millions of Americans unemployed and their jobs are gone for good with no prospects for future employment. I don't expect those of us who are still working or have a few bucks to buy things they need to save America by over paying for something made here. That won't save us! We need to make most of what we consume and sell to the world, the global economy you mentioned. My bottom line remains if what we are doing does not work, then it makes no sense to keep doing it. Sure for tradesmen and handy men it makes sense to buy supplies as cheap as possible, unless a more costly item will give much more service. What I'm talking about is the big picture of the millions of folks who are out of work, the millions that will join them and the economy that will continue to get worse if we don't bring back jobs. Forget about the government saving us, they seem to work at a snails pace or in reverse. I'm still waiting for some smart person to explain how all this is going to turn around in detail, so far I've gotten no takers. I get a big laugh when the economic experts on tv predict several years before a recovery but won't say how it will happen. Abbott, you're not a bad guy for saving a buck, and you're not supporting communism. The problem is way above you and I and so is the solution. Frank

Comment

Well, I think things like the economy are going to get better.

Comment

Here's one place you can get American made products, mostly clothing.

All American Clothing Co: About Us

Made in USA Certified ™

http://www.buyamericanproject.org/
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have a great idea all us north americans should fight and create unions for the rest of the world then we can make china,india and mexico labours and "slaves" part of our global union increase minimum wage world wide, health benefit, double time, hell triiple time on weekends. Then the global market will be forced to send industry back to our part of the world. We can sell them trravel insurance for there paid vacations and then sell their employer insurance in case their employ doesnt have travel insurance. Oh and then sell bangcok airlines underinsured employee insurance and charge them a small fee in case they need extra coverage. Oh and paid coffee breaks and what not then we can price them out of a job like what has happend here in the last forty something years. This is a stupid rant and i dont know where im going with it. But our soceity is so full of interest,insurance, what ifs and just in cases no wonder we are going broke. Oh i forgot corruption.. oops

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            I have a great idea all us north americans should fight and create unions for the rest of the world then we can make china,india and mexico labours and "slaves" part of our global union increase minimum wage world wide, health benefit, double time, hell triiple time on weekends. Then the global market will be forced to send industry back to our part of the world. We can sell them trravel insurance for there paid vacations and then sell their employer insurance in case their employ doesnt have travel insurance. Oh and then sell bangcok airlines underinsured employee insurance and charge them a small fee in case they need extra coverage. Oh and paid coffee breaks and what not then we can price them out of a job like what has happend here in the last forty something years. This is a stupid rant and i dont know where im going with it. But our soceity is so full of interest,insurance, what ifs and just in cases no wonder we are going broke. Oh i forgot corruption.. oops
            Great idea but you blew it you had the world at your feet and in just thirty years you threw it all away with wars your couldn`t win with GLOBILIZATION and FREE TRADE where you thought you were going to make a killing but back fired you gave China India and Asia every concession to sale their products to your populace you gave them your technology to built cars and every thing else as you did with Japan you gave all your advantages away your politians in both parties have sold you out and guess what my politians are following yours down the road to ruin where there own citizens stuggle to make ends meets but support every other country with trillions in forigen aid and which countries are those WHITE countries we really are stupid in cutting our own throats in the process

Tony
            Last edited by AFM; 02-06-2012, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              Great idea but you blew it you had the world at your feet and in just thirty years you threw it all away with wars your couldn`t win with GLOBILIZATION and FREE TRADE where you thought you were going to make a killing but back fired you gave China India and Asia every concession to sale their products to your populace you gave them your technology to built cars and every thing else as you did with Japan you gave all your advantages away your politians in both parties have sold you out and guess what my politians are following yours down the road to ruin where there own citizens stuggle to make ends meets but support every other country with trillions in forigen aid and which countries are those WHITE countries we really are stupid in cutting our own throats in the process

Tony
              Tony I was going to argue that what happened here took about forty years and was the fault of legislators and capitalists but I realize we are all to blame. While legislators were helping capitalists move businesses and jobs to other countries, we were gladly buying up foreign made products and cutting our own throats. We hung out to dry millions of workers over the years as their jobs were sent to mexico and abroad.
              If you want to be fair in placing blame you must include other countries, china stole a lot of our technology and many countries set limits and high tariffs on our goods. The rest of the world does not play fair regarding free trade and open markets, the rest of the world does not care about the environment or worker's safety or rights. I guess we are not alone in cutting our throats, but we seem to always be reading to offer aid. There are some exceptions, there are some unspeakable things going on in the world while we along with all nations do nothing. Frank

Comment

Working...
              X