X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buy American made

First off ANDY, I DO read the labels and when and where it's available I buy AMERICAN. But there's a lot of stuff that simply isn't available and that was MY point. Apparenty you and many others are hung up on the idea that every thing wrong with this country is the consumer's fault and their preference for un-AMERICAN made goods. I DO CARE!

Take a walk to any industrial plant and look in the parking lot... what you'll see is an overwhelming number of Fords, Chryslers, and Chevy's... many of them leaking oil and rusting, as the working owners are trying to stretch their bucks as best they can. Then take a look at the executive parking area... that's where you'll find the Audi's, BMWs, Lexis, and Porshes.... then you tell me how much the working class (what's left of it), is buying AMERICAN.

But blaming the consumer and thier need to get by on the few dollars that they have is NOT the problem. In most every case, they have NOT been given the choice... perhaps you didn't comprehend my thoughts on that. Nobody asked and nobody did any research. In almost every case (if not all cases), the average working consumer buys the brands that he or she knows and has always purchased. It is the manufacturer who has chosen to widen thier profits by going overseas... it is NOT the consumer, except in case where they've been "burned" by a specific brand.

And Frank... I'm by no means "lazy" or unsupportive and your insulting remarks are not taken at all kindly. You seem to be really hung up on this "communism" thing and through that label around all too freely; but I also read where you take great pride in your UNIONISM, and the great pension and health benefits that you have derived from your "collective" bargaining. You don't get much closer to "communism" than that! What I have is what I have earned on my own. Nobody has ever given me anything and I have never had to lean on "collective" threats of my comrads to gain anything.

BTW, the "bullet" thing was meant in humor... though I doubt that matters much. But the point is many other manufacturers of products simply don't say... I've seen a number of DeWalt products that way. I also notice that almost everything on the American market is an American company, who CHOSE to move their manufacturing elsewhere! Somehow you guys seem to miss that. I've noticed though that its a lot "braver" of you to point at the consumer, the working guy who got screwed over by pay and benefit cuts, who makes a much easier target. Tell me how many consumers that you personally know who had any choice whatsoever in telling the manufacturers of their purchases that "Made in China" was a great choice?

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      First off ANDY, I DO read the labels and when and where it's available I buy AMERICAN. But there's a lot of stuff that simply isn't available and that was MY point. Apparenty you and many others are hung up on the idea that every thing wrong with this country is the consumer's fault and their preference for un-AMERICAN made goods. I DO CARE!

Take a walk to any industrial plant and look in the parking lot... what you'll see is an overwhelming number of Fords, Chryslers, and Chevy's... many of them leaking oil and rusting, as the working owners are trying to stretch their bucks as best they can. Then take a look at the executive parking area... that's where you'll find the Audi's, BMWs, Lexis, and Porshes.... then you tell me how much the working class (what's left of it), is buying AMERICAN.

But blaming the consumer and thier need to get by on the few dollars that they have is NOT the problem. In most every case, they have NOT been given the choice... perhaps you didn't comprehend my thoughts on that. Nobody asked and nobody did any research. In almost every case (if not all cases), the average working consumer buys the brands that he or she knows and has always purchased. It is the manufacturer who has chosen to widen thier profits by going overseas... it is NOT the consumer, except in case where they've been "burned" by a specific brand.

And Frank... I'm by no means "lazy" or unsupportive and your insulting remarks are not taken at all kindly. You seem to be really hung up on this "communism" thing and through that label around all too freely; but I also read where you take great pride in your UNIONISM, and the great pension and health benefits that you have derived from your "collective" bargaining. You don't get much closer to "communism" than that! What I have is what I have earned on my own. Nobody has ever given me anything and I have never had to lean on "collective" threats of my comrads to gain anything.

BTW, the "bullet" thing was meant in humor... though I doubt that matters much. But the point is many other manufacturers of products simply don't say... I've seen a number of DeWalt products that way. I also notice that almost everything on the American market is an American company, who CHOSE to move their manufacturing elsewhere! Somehow you guys seem to miss that. I've noticed though that its a lot "braver" of you to point at the consumer, the working guy who got screwed over by pay and benefit cuts, who makes a much easier target. Tell me how many consumers that you personally know who had any choice whatsoever in telling the manufacturers of their purchases that "Made in China" was a great choice?

CWS
      My insulting comment was not directed at you but unfortunately you did get the brunk of it. Regarding Unions and communism, if they are so entwined why are there no Unions in cuba, communist china or russia? I think Unions are the hallmark of democracy. You are free the have a different opinion and thanks to our way of life we can both express them here for all to see. I still believe our economy and society cannot survive if we do not manufacture most of what we consume even though it will cost much more. We will save by not paying Americans unemployment. We will reduce our dwindling property values. Once again my insulting comments we not directed towards you. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Great post Andy! Sad how some so called Americans are too lazy to support America and democracy by reading a dam label! They choose to support communism, what a disgrace! Frank
        I think you would feel differently about it if you were not so blinded by hate.

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Short of picking up every single item when purchasing, are there any reference web sites or other sources that give a listing of truly American made products?
            American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

How Americans Can Buy American

Buy American.com (web site under construction)

New Balance struggles as last remaining major U.S. athletic shoemaker

New Balance struggles as last remaining major U.S. athletic shoemaker — Maine Business — Bangor Daily News
            The company’s primary concern is that any free-trade agreement with Vietnam would likely eliminate the steep tariff on footwear imported from that country, making Vietnamese sneakers even cheaper than they already are.

New Balance officials said removing the tariff would also undermine years of efforts at the company’s five New England factories to compete against cheap foreign labor. The plants employ 1,000 workers.
            Those employees earn upward of $10 an hour, plus benefits, while labor costs in China are about $1.50 an hour, and even less in Vietnam.
            Is it too much to pay someone $10/hour to make your next pair of shoes???
            Any one of you who can get by on $10/hr and a 40 hour week raise your hand.

http://static.bangordailynews.com/wp...LANCE284_1.jpg
            Last edited by Bob D.; 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That's just fine if that's what a guy wants to do Bob. I don't have a problem with it but I certainly have better things to do with my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                That's just fine if that's what a guy wants to do Bob. I don't have a problem with it but I certainly have better things to do with my time.
                Yup, you sure can do as you please. That's your right as a person living in this country.

I however feel a responsibility to support my fellow Americans by buying the products they help to produce whenever I can.

---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                  I think you would feel differently about it if you were not so blinded by hate.
                  "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway." Just another stupid post.

Comment

I need some help here....

Obama is on a bus tour right now promoting his jobs bill plan around the country. With jobs scarce right now, can someone here explain why Obama is touring on a Canadian Bus (Prevost) specifically built for him, while trying to promote American jobs?

I'm sure our American companies could of built those same buses.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I need some help here....

Obama is on a bus tour right now promoting his jobs bill plan around the country. With jobs scarce right now, can someone here explain why Obama is touring on a Canadian Bus (Prevost) specifically built for him, while trying to promote American jobs?

I'm sure our American companies could of built those same buses.
                      I'm still trying to figure out what he expected to come from all those speeches on "Green Job", and how he weazled out of the whole solyndra scandal?

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what he expected to come from all those speeches on "Green Job", and how he weazled out of the whole solyndra scandal?
                        Nothing to see here Frank...Occupy Wall street protesters was a planned diversion to take focus away from Obama's dismal poll numbers and failed policies.

Comment

Occupy Wallstreet = Unions.

Comment

My insulting comment was not directed at you but unfortunately you did get the brunk of it. Regarding Unions and communism, if they are so entwined why are there no Unions in cuba, communist china or russia? I think Unions are the hallmark of democracy. You are free the have a different opinion and thanks to our way of life we can both express them here for all to see. I still believe our economy and society cannot survive if we do not manufacture most of what we consume even though it will cost much more. We will save by not paying Americans unemployment. We will reduce our dwindling property values. Once again my insulting comments we not directed towards you. Frank
                            You have a strange view of the world Frank Cuba China and the old Soviet Union are all Unions one large Union that is what communism is all about where collective bargaining and all the people share I am wondering if you have every run your own business employed people mortgaged your house to capitalise your own business taken the risk where you could loose everything.
                            Manufacturing is becoming a thing of the past Frank and you better get used to it as people will not take the gamble anymore you didn`t so why should others take the risk in running their own businesses or manufacturing businesses or are they there to employ people like you and pay you an hourly rate and all the other benifits to pay for a standard of living which has no comparison to countries like China and other third world countries that compete against our manufacturers

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              You have a strange view of the world Frank Cuba China and the old Soviet Union are all Unions one large Union that is what communism is all about where collective bargaining and all the people share I am wondering if you have every run your own business employed people mortgaged your house to capitalise your own business taken the risk where you could loose everything.
                              Manufacturing is becoming a thing of the past Frank and you better get used to it as people will not take the gamble anymore you didn`t so why should others take the risk in running their own businesses or manufacturing businesses or are they there to employ people like you and pay you an hourly rate and all the other benifits to pay for a standard of living which has no comparison to countries like China and other third world countries that compete against our manufacturers

Tony
                              Tony, you are a character. The word "union" as in soviet "union" has about as much in common with organized labor Unions as unions used in plumbing. Nice try, go back to the drawing board and keep trying to knock down America. Just remember where all that halal lamb that was slaughtered so cruel came from, your own back yard. Can't believe you tried to compare America's labor Unions to communist unions. I'm certain it was an honest mistake not to be confused with some jerk who will do it on purpose. Come on you Union hating idiots, let's hear the comparisons.

Comment

Frank, I was amused when you posted that you had not been paying much attention to the march on Wall Street crowd. I knew right off that you were pretending that you didn't know that a lot of the organization behind the protests are being organized by the Unions. What else were you going to do but deny the facts and then (as usual) call anyone and everyone that disagrees with your point of view names in your usual attempt to belittle them and their opinion. No one is posting the fact that March on Wall Street equals a lot of Union organization for any reason other then that is the truth of the matter. Which of course clearly shows who the real idiots are.

Comment

Working...
                                X