Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buy American made

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    This seems to be a tremendous waste of everybody's time. I see accusations flying from people who are exactly like those they are accusing.

I see you guys trying to tell someone else that they need an education when it appears that you don't know yourselves.

None of you are totally wrong and none of you are totally right!

It's really apparent that it's much easier to blame everybody else, slap labels, and dig in your heels. Some of you demand answers and yet you have no answers of your own. Others make accusations against the current President when in fact most of those accusations ring true to the opposing party. I have no idea what you all are thinking or where you get your facts or ideas.

This IS the problem with our country today! We are very much like Germany in the early 20's. Instead of seeing dominating Democrats and Communists and Unions and all the other things that the Republican right is pointing you towards... you should be broadening your reading and listening.

Flux,

You mentioned the old guy in your neighborhood who is a Democrat and I believe you alluded to something like his feeling are set on what the Democratic party used to be long ago. I don't think you are correct in that thought... I've never been a Democrat, but I know enough of their history to realise that they haven't changed nearly as much as the Republican party has. I've been a "Republican" since the first day I could vote (back then it was 21) and I would have been a Republican, if I could have voted at 18. I am most definitely a 1950's "Conservative", pro-military anti-communist.

But the Republican party is by no means the party that existed in the 50's or 60's or even the 70's. They are moving further and further to the right! For the first time in my life I voted Democrat in 2000! The lies and deceits that were being cast upon the uneducated masses of this country were ridiculously sad and the results of that were fully felt in the two terms that followed. We saw illegal immigration rise considerably, two wars that were micro-managed to the point where our military suffered beyond reason. We saw further benefits and encentives go to the rich, to pharmaceuticals, banks, and the oil companies. We saw environmental protection, OSHa, and hundreds of other regulatory branchs cut drastically, and we saw the most massive export of American jobs in this country's history. At the same time, we saw China surge forward with it's economy and millions of Americans loose thier jobs while all along, OUR government gave their employers tax breaks and encentives to carry on. AND... with it all, we saw the "Great Divider" alienate our allies and the people of our own country. We also saw a major collapse of our banking system and the exposure of what the Republican non-regulation tactics did to the working class and millions of mortgages, retirement accounts, and investments of the American people go down the drain.

In 2008 we elected a new government, one overwhelmingly Democratic... and instead of investigating and possibly prosecuting the many fraudulent schemes of the previous party, they in thier stupidity decided it was better to "heal" the country... Nancy got to push for her own jet, and the part on the whole reached for healthcare for the people. Nice thought on the Health care issue, but with no price controls... we now suffer the backlash of those of us who never question spending money for invation, but do march to the streets when it goes for giving the old lady across the street some medical security.

My point is that the "Division" that you speak of is not in the hands of the President, but in the hands of the Congress and their well-financed propaganda machine. But even there, that is a secret; thanks to the Republican dominated Supreme Court!

Bottom line for me, is it's time to move on, this is a terrible waste and there's much better things to do with my limited time.

CWS
    Thank you for educating us...I feel much smarter now after reading that.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      T

I see you guys trying to tell someone else that they need an education when it appears that you don't know yourselves.

CWS
      In my opinion that is a pretty accurate statement you made there Mr. Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        You are probably amused by things like enron, or did you miss that bit of American history? Regarding the wallstreet protests and Union involvement, I have not specifically commented on it not because I choose to ignore it but because there is still much more to be discovered. I listen to several news programs including fox and the best I can gather is that specific leaders, agendas or demands have yet to be exposed. I would want to know more of why Unions are involved or showing support before commenting. Ever hear the saying "fools rush to judgement"? You are rushing and acting like a fool,
        I call bullshit on this post of yours Frank. I think you already know the true answer and that you are having man problems admitting it.

Occupy Wall Street gets Union support.

Occupy Wall Street gets union support - UPI.com

Why Union support of occupy Wall street matters

Why Union Support for Occupy Wall Street Matters -- Daily Intel

Occupy Wall Street march gains Union support

http://www.demotix.com/news/858734/o...-new-york-city

Enough is enough!’: UFT, other unions join protest, march against Wall Street greed

‘Enough is enough!’: UFT, other unions join protest, march against Wall Street greed | United Federation of Teachers

NYC Transit Union Joins Occupy Wall Street

--------------------------------------

That's just a few out of dozens Frank. I think that if you would take the time to educate yourself about unions then you would understand that they are aiding the march on Wall Street protestors. But then again if you are as well educated about unions as you claim to be you could just be tossing insults around to cover your dishonesty. ~shrug~

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
          I call bullshit on this post of yours Frank. I think you already know the true answer and that you are having man problems admitting it.

Occupy Wall Street gets Union support.

Occupy Wall Street gets union support - UPI.com

Why Union support of occupy Wall street matters

Why Union Support for Occupy Wall Street Matters -- Daily Intel

Occupy Wall Street march gains Union support

Occupy Wall St march gains Union Support - New York City | Demotix.com

Enough is enough!’: UFT, other unions join protest, march against Wall Street greed

‘Enough is enough!’: UFT, other unions join protest, march against Wall Street greed | United Federation of Teachers

--------------------------------------

That's just a few out of dozens Frank. I think that if you would take the time to educate yourself about unions then you would understand that they are aiding the march on Wall Street protestors. But then again if you are as well educated about unions as you claim to be you could just be tossing insults around to cover your dishonesty. ~shrug~
          "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway." You remain clueless and your opinions, worthless. No offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            "With your lack of experience you would have nothing worthwhile to add anyway." You remain clueless and your opinions, worthless. No offense.
            That's OK Frank, it's not like we are friends are anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
              That's OK Frank, it's not like we are friends are anything.
              It's not like I haven't tried. Want to bury the hatchet?

Comment

If I take the time and time is money, to buy american and not enough others do, then I hurt myself. I think we need to have everyone on the same page.. This country has further to go before enough people will get on the wagon to make any meaningful change.

Comment

When someone tells me they bought a new X which is made in china I ask them if they considered buying Y which is made in the USA for only a couple dollars more. That is if there is a US made product that I know of. Many times they react as if they were not aware that a product is still made here. And I have to agree it is a little more work to seek out those products made here. But if we all stand around waiting for the other guy to get with the program, it will be too late.

To get others involved show them YOU are involved and doing your part. I politely make them feel guilty for not buying American made products. And yes I understand there are those who are just getting by and don't have that extra dollar to make the choice with. I don't fault them or get on their case. It's those who can afford to but don't consider buying American that get me riled.

I know its not possible to buy American in every purchase choice you make, but I do make an effort to Buy American whenever I can. I know because I look for the label to find out where an item was produced, assembled, etc AND I want to know who is getting my money. I am not afraid to ask where are your products made in the USA just like when I visited the shoemobile which visited our job site the other day. When they told me nothing on the truck was made here I walked out. I'll wait for the one of the other shoemobiles to come by or go to my local Red Wing store before I buy foreign made work boots or athletic shoes.

It's never too early to get on the wagon is a better way of looking at it I think.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ABC News had a series on building a house with all Made in USA parts. took them some time to find all that was needed, but the end result was that the overall cost wasn't more than using the off-shore stuff the contractors normally used. A list of the USA suppliers they found can be found here: Print details from our 'Made in America' map. - ABC News

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

i buy many snap on tools that are made in the usa.......... or so i thought they were.... talked to my dealer this morning and about 15% of the invertory is now made in china and more is to be made there in the coming years. yet the price is the same. expensive.
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                        i buy many snap on tools that are made in the usa.......... or so i thought they were.... talked to my dealer this morning and about 15% of the invertory is now made in china and more is to be made there in the coming years. yet the price is the same. expensive.
                        All is lost, the end is near!

Comment

no frank, i doubt the end is near. will i continue to use snap on tools... yes will i look for made in the usa alternitive tools?... for some things yes

sears started doing this in the 70s or 80s

mac started doing it in the late 90s and matco followed suit.

but thats ok. every power tool i have bought from ridgid has been made in china as well.

seems quite ironinc that we are complaining to buy american on a forum that is hosted by a company that has there tools made in china while we are responding back and forth on our computers that were made in japan.
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

... responding back and forth on our computers that were made in japan.
                            You obviously have a very old computer.
                            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                              You obviously have a very old computer.

lol yup, i think i bought in 2004, compaq presario r4000 running windows xp.
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

no frank, i doubt the end is near. will i continue to use snap on tools... yes will i look for made in the usa alternitive tools?... for some things yes

sears started doing this in the 70s or 80s

mac started doing it in the late 90s and matco followed suit.

but thats ok. every power tool i have bought from ridgid has been made in china as well.

seems quite ironinc that we are complaining to buy american on a forum that is hosted by a company that has there tools made in china while we are responding back and forth on our computers that were made in japan.
                                That was my attempt at a little humor by saying something ridiculus. Now to be perfectly serious and clear, I cannot imagine how our economy, society or standard of living can turn around, improve or sustain itself if we keep buying our goods from the rest of the world. Wheter we disagree on being loyal to "Buy American", want to get the best bang for the buck or simply can't be bothered to strain our brains on the subject, it either works to keep doing this or it doesn't. I say it doesn't, even if the flat screens were only costing $100 and we were paying ten percent on the dollar for the rest of the imports. I have yet to have anyone give me any theory of how we can survive as a service based economy when our wealth continues to bleed out to imported goods! We can raise taxes on the rich and middle class and cut gov't spending to help with the deficit. We can eliminate corporate and small business taxes and other burdens. We can break the Unions and slash the minimum wage. But if we don't start making most of what we consume and actually export as we once did, I don't see a change, I don't see a good future. Carhartt clothing may still be well made and strong in mexico and china, same for SnapOn tools, but our economy will not recover. We are a dying society, with many out of work, more to follow and buried under imported goods. Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X