X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickens?

Any of you guys raise chickens? The wife and I have been talking about getting 2 or 3 layers and building a backyard coop. They seem like they'd be a pretty decent hobby, and would be an amusing addition to the family.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Chickens?

tasty eggs.
    friends got a couple I take care of when they take vacations

Comment

My son Jon started out with chickens then added ducks then turkeys. Now he is building pens for his soon to be arriving goats. Of his 4-kids the only one who has really taken to them is his 10-year old daughter. She wakes up hours before all of the others to go out and tend "her" poultry. She is pretty good about checking for coyotes but it still makes me nervous.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Bok bok bok book bookaaaah bok bok bok bok BOKAAAAAH.. This and alot more at 6am! They do shut up at night however. A client of mine has chickens he lets free roam in his backyard. He has had them for about 2 years, yes he enjoys the eggs, but doesn't really enjoy anything else about them. He has his and hers squirt guns to keep them quiet when they are in the backyard.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

My best friend of 20 some years grew up and his parents STILL raises chickens, roosters and pigeons.

Just a few weeks ago, his father was telling me he buys his chickens online, which I never knew anyone could do.

My thing is..I want to get the old style glass Milk bottles to put my fresh Milk into, cause plastic containers alter the smell and taste. We have a bazillion farms out in my area, and I can go to this one farm and buy Fresh Milk right out of the tap.

Comment

I remember spending a few weeks every summer at my uncles house in upstate NY. Milk and heavy cream in glass bottles, fresh berries, produce and poultry. City folks don't know what real food taste like, all they know is the days old, refrigerated, processed remains of what used to have flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I remember spending a few weeks every summer at my uncles house in upstate NY. Milk and heavy cream in glass bottles, fresh berries, produce and poultry. City folks don't know what real food taste like, all they know is the days old, refrigerated, processed remains of what used to have flavor.
              The other day I was online looking for Milk deliveries in my area, and those days are pretty much done. I mean come on...we got rid of the freaking Milk man in this country?? I "think" where I'm moving to...I can possibly get a delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                The other day I was online looking for Milk deliveries in my area, and those days are pretty much done. I mean come on...we got rid of the freaking Milk man in this country?? I "think" where I'm moving to...I can possibly get a delivery.
                I'm old but when I was a kid even in NYC I remember the milk bottles in the hallway. The top inch or so was cream and I don't remember so many people being lactose intolerant? I'm not suggesting we put folks at risk for disease, but maybe we are overprocessing the goodness out of our food? Enzimes serve a purpose and aid digestion, the processes that allow milk products to remain on shelves unrefridgerated for months render these foods less nutritious in my opinion. God knows what long term health risks they pose?

Comment

I'm in the city and we had 3 hens a few years ago, really enjoyed them but they got to cackling to much not so good at 6:00 am for the nieghbors. We would get a white,brown and green egg, funny how a lot of folks don't know that there are naturally colored eggs!! They're fun to observe, if I lived in the country I'd have a bunch.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I'm old but when I was a kid even in NYC I remember the milk bottles in the hallway. The top inch or so was cream and I don't remember so many people being lactose intolerant? I'm not suggesting we put folks at risk for disease, but maybe we are overprocessing the goodness out of our food? Enzimes serve a purpose and aid digestion, the processes that allow milk products to remain on shelves unrefridgerated for months render these foods less nutritious in my opinion. God knows what long term health risks they pose?
                    You see Frank we do agree on some issues I remember as a kid the milk and bread being delievered by horse and cart we had fridges but no freezes so meat had to be bought from the butchers and eaten within a couple of days there were no preservatives milk bread vegies etc went off as well so mum was always replemishing the pantry I also think peoples health with all the frozen and processed food is causeing so many health problems and the only thing keeping us alive so long is all the pills we are taking.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      You see Frank we do agree on some issues I remember as a kid the milk and bread being delievered by horse and cart we had fridges but no freezes so meat had to be bought from the butchers and eaten within a couple of days there were no preservatives milk bread vegies etc went off as well so mum was always replemishing the pantry I also think peoples health with all the frozen and processed food is causeing so many health problems and the only thing keeping us alive so long is all the pills we are taking.

Tony
                      Yes, Tony we do agree on this and plenty more but the darn way we communicate complicates things. I think abbott and I would also agree on plenty of things if we were face to face and could shake hands, see facial expressions and exchange laughs. Have a good day. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        My son Jon started out with chickens then added ducks then turkeys. Now he is building pens for his soon to be arriving goats. Of his 4-kids the only one who has really taken to them is his 10-year old daughter. She wakes up hours before all of the others to go out and tend "her" poultry. She is pretty good about checking for coyotes but it still makes me nervous.

Mark
                        Nice to hear Mark. Your grankids are living,not existing.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good memory's! As a boy We had 200 chickens. One sweet memory I have. Reaching under each Hen to take Her BABY'S [ eggs]
                          I'll never forget the soft feathers,and warm bodys. Of course they were all cackling , talking crap at the little thief! Big Garden, Mom
                          canned. None of us kids had any spending money after the war,50s. We had a ball exploring the ponds and woods. Take a hammer to Your Kids X BOX!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We have a family friend who moved off grid down in Arkansas. He has free range chickens to keep down the ticks and other bugs and guinea fowl to drive away snakes, I guess they are very territorial and just pester the snakes away.

wookie

Comment

we have had chickens over the years,
                              the layers some times like to be int eh with the goats , and they free range, the picture of the white ones are the meat birds, they were raised mostly in the building, (there a cross, and they don't even really act like a regular chicken, all they do is eat, they go to the feed trough and eat and poop and then once and a while go to the water, at night you have to take the feed out or they will eat them selfs to death,

the layers the colored chickens they do great, in the summer getting many insects, grass hoppers and ect,

the eggs are good, in the fall they will slow down on the egg laying, and some times stop until the days get longer, they lay an egg I think about ever 26 hrs, when they are laying,
                              the free range birds don't take a lot of feed, they eat table scraps, and the grain can be nearly floor sweepings, so I take grain from the seed cleaner and use that, and what the goats spill, we buy some scratch for them as well,

It is funny to watch them go after a mouse, (poor mouse), or chase grass hoppers,

good luck on the project,
                              Attached Files
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X