Tiling over old tiles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiling over old tiles.

I have a situation where a front porch, 20' x 6.5' has 1968 vintage red clay (porcelain?)tiles on it and they need to be replaced. It appears they imbedded the tiles into the proch when they poured it, I have tried the electric hammer chisel as well as a sharper air chisel, and they do not want to come off. Has anyone had any experience tiling over this type of tile? They are the red, semi-porous 4x4 tiles used a lot around here in the 1960's1970's. I'm thinking about using the chisel to take some of the face off the tiles, then hitting it with hydrochloric acid to clean and etch them a little. We are putting 12x12 tiles on the porch. Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: Tiling over old tiles.

I would recommend a diamond blade in a grinder and etching the surface. You don't need to go crazy, but scuffing it up a little should suffice. Make sure you wear a mask! Then, use something like TEC surface primer or the equivalent. Basically its an adhesive primer, you can find it at any tile distributor and most big box places. I believe HD carries a version made by custom building products. Then set your tile with a good quality thinset and you should be good to go.

Comment

GREAT ADVICE ! Rental stores have the grinder
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Check the condition of the tile on your porch. IF there is alot of cracking of tiles and grout then you may want to take it up. If it is a Mexican clay tile like saltillo tiles then you will want to take them up anyway. If there porcelain and they are not cracking you can hit them with a grinder like Alphacowboy said and tile over them. I'd still take them up though. They easy way usually aint the right way.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

They seem to be embedded in the porch concrete, as near as I can tell. I got the edges to come off of a couple, and cannot see any delineation between the concrete porch and a thin set layer. Very weird. They are the matt red tiles, so I do not believe they are heat fired mexican tile. I was thinking about hitting the surface with the chisel to pop some areas loose, and with a good hit of acid, it should etch the surface. I almost always use acrylic admix in the thin set to aid in adhesion. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X