X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much going on I guess

Last night, on my way home, I couldn't get up my road because the police had it blocked off. Had to drive 6 miles around. Turns out that there was some guy that had a felony record and wouldn't let a police officer come into his house and check on his kid. Also seems as though some nosy neighbor told the police that this guy had a gun or two. So anyway, cops being cops and all and it being a slow cop day, 26 police cars, 3 ambulances, 4 fire trucks, the swat team from the next town over and one helicopter arrive on the scene and shut the road down for three hours. Turns out the guy had no guns, did nothing wrong and the taxpayer gets to fund this stupidity. Does anybody else think that a lot of these guys are just plain out of control?
    sigpic

Re: Not much going on I guess

Because we don't know the reason as to why the police felt they needed to check on this child's welfare, I have to say that the police need to be given the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

To some degree yes, but 26 cars worth ?
      sigpic

Comment

If you are a convicted felon, they are looking for a reason to throw you arse back in the klink. If the bullets are flying they most certainly do not want to get caught with their pants down. In a small town, this is the most exiting thing to happen since Betty Lou won the pie eating contest with her tongue tied behind her back, and suspended upside down.

If the guy was on parole or probation I can see the reason for the big fiasco. When you are on said restrictions, it is against the law to refuse an inspection of your home without a warrant by a LEO or officer of the court.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

That does seem to be a bit of overkill... but perhaps the cops ought to be talking to the neighbor too about his report of "guns".

I've noticed a lot of "police" in our area seem to show up with much more force than they did just a few years ago. We had a bit of "smile moment" a few weeks ago when I thought that, at last, my "squatter" neighbor was finally getting thrown out. Four police cars (three of which were SUV's) and a half dozen officers on the scene. Up and down the driveway they walked, not doing much of anything else. The cars covered the front entrance and the driveway, but when the neighbors came outside, there was little conversation.

Finally, one car left and another police SUV showed up... three officers got out wearing plastic gloves and they went into the garage and extacted a bicyle...putting into the back of the vehicle. Then it left with two of the other vehicles. The other two police vehicles remained on the scene for another half hour and then they left.

"Stolen Bicycle"? Maybe... but nobody in the house seemed to be bothered, questioned, or walked out to the curb. Event over, I guess but there were a number of police involved.

Personally, the police don't bother me as I've had a few friends who have served and I've helped my local guys (at the old home) out with computer problems, database setups, etc. It's a tough business being a cop, even in a small town and you never know what you're going to run into or what and who is going to just come into the station. We had a guy just walk in to the village station about ten years ago and attack the officer on duty. Fortunately, the officer was well trained and despite the attackers size, was able to subdue him after a lengthy struggle. The attacker tried to get the officers weapon and both ended up going to the hospital. The officer was a friend of mine... the attacker was an "unkown".. out-of-town vagrant who apparently just lost it, walked into the station and leaped across the desk.

You never know, but it's a good thing that the police keep their guard up.

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

And if it had gone the other way, you'd be complaining that the police are never doing enough.

Comment

Also, sometimes departments will "overkill" a response as a training opportunity as its probably the closest thing they (hopefully) ever encounter.

But I agree that they have gone over board lately. And now the TSA is getting involved is the mix as well, they joined up with Tennessee hi-way patrol now to inspect cargo... Not sure how I feel about that, and wonder what state will be next.

Oh, and watch out for those commercial vehicle enforcement officers, they are on the prowl for us construction guys as of late. To be honest, I had no idea I fell into the category that involves having to keep a log book, medical card, daily service check log, DOT number, a litany of safety equipment, etc... Let's just say I had a really bad Monday a couple weeks ago. Hell, my 300k mile diesel leaks, not a surprise, but according to them, I need to have it fixed or face fines. It will leave a quarter sized dot on my driveway over night... In the past two weeks I have burned through over 1k bucks so far, and still have yet to pay the fines I got. I wouldn't be so upset if I purposely was skating the rules, but I honestly had no idea. I would have complied willingly, I didn't need fines to force me into compliance. If I was skating the rules on purpose I would have lied and said I was garage sale shopping or some bullshit like that, but I'm not like that.

Ok, enough on me, about the SUVs. A lot of departments are opting to use the tahoes and explorers due to size and the fact they still have powerful and surprisingly efficient v8 powerplants. Ford discontinued the police interceptor and replaced it with the Taurus and a modified explorer chassis. Chevy as well doesn't have a rwd v8 car anymore in that class, so the obvious reason for the tahoe. Plus, with regulations on mpg from the feds, 4 door sedans have shrunk in size, posing not only safety draw backs but versatility in the squad car segment. And with people not exactly gettin smaller these days, why would you want a Taurus or malibu to shove 300lb billy in the back seat? The only option is the SUVs or the dodge charger. Although it has increasingly more popular and has the size and power departments want, the charger doesn't get much better fuel efficiency than that of a beefier, more versatile explorer or tahoe. To top that off, the SUVs are easier to sell off when they hit the market at the end of their service time.

Comment

I used to b!tch and moan about how much my city spends on the police budget. Not anymore. One night, just after we moved in, the motion sensor went off in my basement. My wife was freaking out and handed me her loaded .357 magnum and told me to 'check it out' I had never fired a handgun before in my life. Before I even got down to the first floor in my underwear there was already 2 police officers with guns drawn and a 3rd at my back door. My monitoring system had notified them of a break-in. They found the intruder hiding under the stairs in a storage closet. They immediately dragged him outside. In 90 seconds I had 3 armed men on my property protecting me and my family. I am forever thankful of that.

They returned the neighbors cat to the rightful owners across the street and we all had a good laugh.

Comment

You must live in a wealthy neighborhood to get them to respond that quick.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that happen before. Fifty-five cars in total. Local police, Sheriff, State Police, the state version of the FBI and the Fire Department. A helicopter kept watch overhead as all of this unwound in a residential neighborhood. The culprit was a 16-year old kid who had knocked a few cinder blocks out of the back of a knife shop, crawled in and stole some knives. The kid was finally walked out of the front door of his house with his uncle in front of him as they were afraid he would be shot. He and his uncle laid face down on the front grass and the kid was cuffed and taken away. They also had a local news truck covering it with the reporter trying to make the incident sound as dangerous and important as possible. Everyone I knew including myself thought it to be pretty inept on the part of law enforcement.

Comment

The problem is that until the cops respond and investigate they don't know the level of danger? I don't live far from that horrific home invasions where the mom and daughters were raped, tortured and set on fire bu two scumbags. I'm sure from the outside of the home things seemed quiiet and normal? Sure there is overkill, over response and waste of taxpayer dollars, I don't know how that can be prevented and still have response to emergency calls? I think more folks should watch episodes of the tv show "Cops" or "Speeders", to get a little insight of what these folks have to deal with on a daily basis. Drunk, drugged up abusive folks living together hurting eachother with little kids in the home, drugs, prostitution, burglaries, traffic accidents. I get all on edge just watching this stuff, I can't imagine what a basket case I would be if they gave me a gun, and authority to get involved? Heck, If I responded to a domestic call and found the woman all bloody it would be time to beat the crap out of the guy. Give the cops some wiggle room, God knows what they have been through leading up to the call you see them on?

Comment

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The Cops love to show up in unreasonable force. If they were clearing drains,there would be 45 box trucks, 2 cops each, for a soft blockage. When They left the blockage would still be there! Yes ,the truth is inflammatory.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          The problem is that until the cops respond and investigate they don't know the level of danger? I don't live far from that horrific home invasions where the mom and daughters were raped, tortured and set on fire bu two scumbags. I'm sure from the outside of the home things seemed quiiet and normal? Sure there is overkill, over response and waste of taxpayer dollars, I don't know how that can be prevented and still have response to emergency calls? I think more folks should watch episodes of the tv show "Cops" or "Speeders", to get a little insight of what these folks have to deal with on a daily basis. Drunk, drugged up abusive folks living together hurting eachother with little kids in the home, drugs, prostitution, burglaries, traffic accidents. I get all on edge just watching this stuff, I can't imagine what a basket case I would be if they gave me a gun, and authority to get involved? Heck, If I responded to a domestic call and found the woman all bloody it would be time to beat the crap out of the guy. Give the cops some wiggle room, God knows what they have been through leading up to the call you see them on?
                          I'm not so sure cops deserve much wiggle room. If anything cops should be held twice as accountable as a civilian. Cops are given a lot of power and they tend to abuse it in excessive force, numbers, and charges. I know one guy that cut up a debit card because his wife overdrew the account again. The cops end up charging the guy with false imprisonment based on cutting up a 10 cent piece of plastic. I know they have a tough job and not all cops are like this but let's face it...they have earned their bad name all on their own.

So with the power they have should also come additional consequence. When a cop is charged with abuse of power or excessive force or a crime...the punishment should be twice that of standard penalties.
                          Last edited by Jones Mechanicals; 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I agree that the "cops" can be abusive and when I see that I'm of a similar mindset: like how can they be that abusive? Some cops are just that way I guess, and I have no idea whether it's just that particular cop or group or the policy of the dept. I have a relative who is a cop and frankly I've been very disappointed in his attitude and some of the "stories" I've heard from him. But then I remind myself, that the job isn't easy and there is always an element of unknown about any situation.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I have some friends who are officers and their approach is quite respectful, yet very much professional and no nonsense. I'm of the thinking that very much depends on the individual and their management. You can label "cops", but I'm sure if you look around you'll find that there are people like that in almost any profession.

I've had two personal experiences with police, and I guess one might easily call them "overkill" considering that I was the target. They weren't at all funny at the time... but in hindsight, they are funny and I can see where some question could have played a part into having a more than necessary response by the police.

Both happened when I was a teen. Mind you that I don't think I was ever a bad kid, just a bit adventuresome at times.

Once, I shot a pigeon. The damn neighbor used to catch them in the city and bring them out to the country and just let them loose. They loved my old car and on more than one morning I'd find it covered in pigeon droppings. Well, one Sunday I just went out into the yard and with my 22, I shot one on the wing. About a half hour later there was a knock on the door and when I opened it there stood a State Trooper AND a conservation officer and in front of the house was two state trooper cars, a sheriff's car, and a NY Conservation car. They asked me a few questions and even read me my rights... but apparently my answers were respectful and all I got out of it was a court summons. That pigeon cost me $25, for the discharge of a firearm within 500 ft of a dwelling, without the owners permission. I'm not sure what they were told and why they felt it necessary to show up in such force, but I was too embarrassed to question thier reasons.

The funniest episode was when I had five of my friends up one winter Friday night and we decided to take a hike to the local MARS shack (ham radio "Military Affiliated Radio Service". We were just all going to go camping, which is something my CAP squadron one weekend out of every month of the year. In this case however it wasn't official and just a half-dozen of us guys went out to have some fun on our own. As was often the case, we wore our "fatigues", but without the official shirt with it's insignia, rank, etc.

So, the MARS shack was seven miles away and we took the "hike" over the hills. It was January and it was cold, but as always it was a lot of fun and we all liked "winter" camping as we'd all been to Air Force "survival" school at Plattsburgh. Winter's were never a problem and always an adventure. But in this particular, unofficial venture, a couple of us took our rifles along... .Why? Because we were teen's... and that's about the only reason.

Well, we arrived at the Shack at around 9:00 pm and spent a few hours watching the "Hams" passing personal military traffic from around the world. It was a nice time and we all got to "operate". But at about 1:00 AM the guys wrapped up their operation and closed the place up and we left. We asked the operations chief if we could camp out on the property and received his okay. But, apparently we strayed a bit too far off the road where we set up camp. Mind you that we didn't carry tents or even sleeping bags, it was afterall a bit of a hike and was done on the spur of the moment. At most we had just our survival packs, pistol belt equipment, and I had my "combat" pack, which contained a section of a parachute, which I often used for shelter, as it was lightweight and easy to stuff in my pack. We used to get these from the AF as they were "decomissioned" because of age.

So, there we were, all "sheltered" under my parachute panel. The fire that we had was very smokey as winter tree-fall doesn't burn all that well. Just before dawn I went to take a "leak" and my beagle, who had joined us in our trek, scared up a rabbit. I took a shot and one of the other guys who was up, hauled off with his semi-auto and let go with several rounds. It was laughable as the rabbit certainly stood no chance of being hit by any of us with our 22's.

So there we were afterwards, sitting around the smokey fire, sipping coffee and all of a sudden there was a megaphone yelling, "Don't anybody MOVE!". There were several State Police, a Sheriff's Depoty, and two of the local village police officers (I think that was their entire police force.) We ended up spawled on the ground as the officers checked us out. Fortunately, the police chief knew who I was and the Sheriff's Depoty happened to be one of my paper-route customer's. We got away with some scolding. But, as I found out later from the Depoty, once our discovery was made, they got a few laughs out of it. I of course got a lot of "ribbing" for a couple of years.

Unknown to us, was that just down the hill from where we were camped, at the edge of the woods, was a farmhouse and the guy and his wife were up and they heard our gunfire. What they saw was "several parachutists". Scared the hell out of them and of course the response to that call with the cops scared the hell out of us. My Dad wasn't particularly happy with the little "invasion" that his son had perpetrated, either. And if that wasn't bad enough, our squadron commander dressed us out royally, questioning our "thinking". Fortunately, we did have the sense NOT to wear our uniform shirts and jackets, as I'm sure that would have brought some "official" inquiries.

That was the very early 60's and I would hate to think of what would happen in today's climate with either of those adventures. The police have a tough job to do. Some of them may well be "questionable" in their demeanor, but personally I have great respect for the job that they do. You never really know what you're going to face and/or how crazy someone really might be.

Just a little over two years ago, we had a guy walk into the local Civic Center and kill 13 innocent people, before turning the gun on himself. As a police officer, it is hard to know who is or isn't armed and what their mindset might be. We live in a very scary world! (Binghamton shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

CWS

Comment

I never intended for this to get into a good cop bad cop argument, all I was saying is 26 cruisers, 2 swat teams, ambulances, fire trucks and a helicopter for crying out loud, why not call out the guard too?

In the old days when you called for an ambulance, the ambulance showed up. These days when you call for an ambulance you get two ambulances, a team of paramedic's, a policeman or two, and the fire department. Some may contend that these fine fellows are just doing their jobs and indeed, most of them are. They have been mandated to respond in this way by those higher up's that have figured out that the more calls your departments respond to, the more money you can ask for in your budget and the more men and equipment you can ask for at town meeting. It's not about liability and it's not about caring for the general public. It's all about money. Just like everything else in this world, public safety is about the money. BTW the town I live in has not had a police department for the past 17 years. Ever since we fired the corrupt chief and his corrupt deputies. Every year a new police department comes up on the town warrant and every year we vote it down.
                              Last edited by NHMaster3015; 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X