X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenants ggrrrrrr dont rent to friends

Not gona get to in to it... But gota vent before i strangle the life out of my "friend" rentor... I have a small log cabin i bought when i was 21 i lived there for three years put birch floors a bathroom septic new drywall "in the stickframe addition" new tub vessel sink grantex kitchen sink new jet pump new breezway ect had a escavator in this year to widen the road and ditch around cabin made road to wood shed . Had stove certified chimney flue replaced ecte ct .. went there today.....gggrrrrr what a ****ing mess new light fixtures missing shades cabin smells like dog piss, beer cans everywhere and just garbage and grggrggrrrrr shiit anyways oh band he has no firewood... Anyways thanks for listening maybe il just shoot his dogs that would make me feel better. Did i mention the truck in the driveway with no box.....fucck this is supost to be a friend of mine hes forty this year use to be my boss when i was seventeen cooking at a local bar. Anyways guess i just got to talk to him why me!

Re: tenants ggrrrrrr dont rent to friends

I had no idea a truck without a box was so offensive. Sure glad mine is a service box truck with topper.

Comment

Sorry, but if he did this to my property I would not consider him a friend! Talk to him and if you are feeling generous and still think he's a friend give him a week to clean it up and make things right. I hate when supposed friends and relatives treat us worse than strangers. My blood pressure is up just reading this, sorry.

Comment

I can understand your anger. "Friends" and money don't mix, never has and never will. It is a very rare thing I think when people live up to "friendships", especially when it comes to money in any form. Whether it be a loan, rent, borrowing, or whatever. It's a very hard lesson to learn and it is not my nature to be selfish or un-feeling to a "friend's" need. But nine times out of ten, they will take advantage of you; and I reached a point long ago to place my expectations VERY low. It's a lot like gambling... if you're going to be hurt by amount you gamble, then you shouldn't.

That generally doesn't dissuade me from being a friend and helping out where I can, but unless I can afford to just disregard whatever I may lend to the friendship, I don't go there. People have a tendency to always "live down" to expectations. My wife is always saying, "Gee, wouldn't you think" (that someone would have done this or that) in response to a good deed, or favor, or present, etc. My response is "NO... only you and I think that way, nobody else does!"

Good luck with getting your problems straightened out... but some friendships are most disappointing,

CWS

Comment

Show up with trash bags while he is not home. Shovel his crap into bags and change the locks! Totally against the law in many states, but if you warn him that you are going to kick him out, he really will trash the house.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

tell him you sold the place and he has 1 month to clean the place up and move.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Did you have your "friend" actually sign a lease? If not it may be more or less difficult to get him out depending on your local laws. If there is no lease then there is no legal right for him to remain.

Comment

Being a landlord myself your story is way more common than you might think. It's my opinion that on average 95% of all renters are pigs. They just don't give a rats a$$ about the property they live in. BTW, that 95% rating is up from about 50% from 20 years ago. Todays older parents can really be proud of themselves for raising a generation of spoiled little pigs.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Being a landlord myself your story is way more common than you might think. It's my opinion that on average 95% of all renters are pigs. They just don't give a rats a$$ about the property they live in. BTW, that 95% rating is up from about 50% from 20 years ago. Todays older parents can really be proud of themselves for raising a generation of spoiled little pigs.
                  Dave, I don't like to place blame on parents for the behavior of their adult children but I guess some of them were never taught any better?
                  I rented to a 45 year old college professor who never mopped or vacuumed his living area. I actually went in a few times and did it myself. I can't understand the lazy, twisted mindset that allows a person to live in filth, dust, or clutter? I've argued with my daughters over the years about cleaning their rooms and it was always a battle with my wife running to their defense. That's part of the problem right there, parents who don't parent together! I did my best to explain that it takes seconds to decide where the piece of clothing in your hands goes, wheter it's clean and should be folded or dirty and placed in a laundry basket, Not the floor, or flung on furniture!!!! How much time does it take to vacuum a average room? 5 or so minutes? These slobs don't have that much time to spare? "Spoiled little pigs" become big pigs!

Comment

I used to be a bit of a "messy" person, at least with regard to how I treated the clothes that I was changing out of. Strange in away, as I spent a rather proud time in my teen years being "military". My uniforms, shoes, jump boots, and even fatigues were all well cared for and I did my own washing and ironing... right down to the "military creases" and they were either on my bod, or on a proper wooden hanger; even my shoes were kept in "trees" to ensure that they retained their shape.

But my school clothes (jeans were never allowed in school back then) and jeans, etc. were for the most part just tossed on the back of a chair or across the bed or hung on a hook in the closet. Funny, how much contrast there was in my day-to-day behaviour. About the only thing that was quite consistant was that whatever shoes I might wear, they were always "shined".

When I got married, my young bride sort of had issues with how I left my clothes. Back then it was traditional to always wear a sports coat or blaser and tie to work. My favorite was a navy blue blazer with brass buttons, gray slacks, striped tie, button-down collar blue shirt. I'd come home at six, and always drop the blazer on the couch, over the arm of a chair, and even on a door knob... whatever was convenient at the moment.

At first the LOML would hang them up, and then after a few times of that, she started telling me to hang them up (which I would most often ignore). Then on a couple of times we had a few terse words about how I treated my clothes (I of course was still keeping my uniforms in right and proper order).

One morning I got up, showered and shaved, got dressed and headed out the door... only to NOT find my blazer any where. It wasn't on the chair where I had left it, nor was it in the closet where "she" might have hung it up. After a couple of minutes of not finding it, I asked her and her response was pretty negative. On further words, she responded with, "You treat your clothes like trash, then I'll treat them like trash... so why don't you go look where we put the trash!" Sure enough, there was my blazer wadded up and stuffed into the top of the garbage can! I changed and wore another sport coat that day and that night I took my blazer to the dry cleaners. Moral of the story for me was to take care of my stuff. Sometimes you need a strong partner to keep you in line and even after 44 years we still manage to keep each other on the mark. Of course, the trick is to always know when you're right and when you're wrong and accept the criticism.

But, I've also come to know that some people are just messy and that's how their brain works... they're really no different than neat freaks other than the fact that one is more acceptable than the other. I used to keep a relatively messy office, lots of stacks of paper, project stuff, etc. Oh, I'd clean up every few weeks but days get hectic and "creative minds are messy minds". But, I always knew where everything was and never lost anything. On the other hand, I once had a boss whose office looked like it was never occupied. Everything was perfect... but he was the most incompetant manager I ever worked for, could never find anything and required constant written reports from all his underlings and meetings a couple of times a week to be apprised of office activity. He truly was the model for "Dilbert".

"Dirt" is far different than being messy though. One can tolerate a bit of a mess I think, but "dirty" is just the lazy, self-centered filth of a person who has given up on life and relations with others.

CWS

Comment

In some states, if you have a utility bill with your name on it, that makes you a legal resident of that property, lease, oral agreement, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Dave, I don't like to place blame on parents for the behavior of their adult children but I guess some of them were never taught any better?
                        I agree. I just got back from a blocked sewer call in a situation just exactly like you described. This lady was really nice and all that, the place was very orderly and was not a disorganized mess, but it was very dirty. We used our shop vac for a bit and I told her that it would probably smell really bad when we turned it on since the last place we used it was in a restaurant kitchen on a grease clog. Now here's my point: She says "No problem, I'm just cleaning all day today anyway." After we got back into the truck and headed home I told my brother that she just must have never been taught what clean was because she thought she was cleaning and the place was very dirty. I agree, Frank, it's gotta have something to do with upbringing in some cases.

I don't know how that is of any help to Seanny in his situation, though. Hereditary or not, a pig's a pig.

Comment

Urinate on his bed, tell him the smell made you mistake where the toilet was.

Comment

Next time rent to Your enemy! After this is over,and You're interviewing potential renters,try this. This is when You've narrowed it down to 1 or 2 possibilities." Hey, what do You say I go back to Your place, and see how You take care of a place? If they say no,You do also! A gal might be neater!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If they cant come up with first, last and securirty, its charity and go in with your eyes open.

It's about the first of the month and I expect to get my company's own rent on my shop space, my one stellar tennant's rent on another, maybe half of the back rent owed on another property if I drive over and collect it before he spends it on crap... that one is more or less unrentable anyway, even at the $200/mo I sometimes get paid... I'd rather have a gumby in it than have it vacant. The third one, well, he's a $hit for brains but usually scrapes rent together by the second or third week of the month. If my largess keeps him out of jail, I figure we're all ahead.

I'm an idiot; I rent to people I like. Luckily I can afford it.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X