X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't pay... take it away!

Could you imagine what would happen to a contractor here in the US if they took this avenue if a client didn't pay?!

Amazing!

Re: Don't pay... take it away!

I wonder if they can put a lien on the property like we do here? I watched the video on YouTube and at the end the woman's son said she admitted being wrong and maybe should have attempted to work something out prior to the drastic measures. I'll bet if she sat down with the contractor and was honest and made some attempt to pay over time, he might have met her half way. Flat out refusing doesn't leave much choice to the folks buying the materials, and paying for the labor. If he did that here he would probably get arrested, that's why we don't see that here. Frank

Comment

The closest I ever had to come with this, was to repo a pool heater. The guy was a pro football player and had no excuse not to pay the bill. One day the owner told us to go loop the pool lines together and repo the unit. I have to admit it was a bit scary not knowing if he would be home or what he may do if he was.

Comment

i knew some one who put in chimneys and would put a piece of glass in side the chimney and if the person did not pay there house would fill up with smoke .they would call him to fix it and when he got there and got paid he would drop a brick and clean up the glass and go home
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          i knew some one who put in chimneys and would put a piece of glass in side the chimney and if the person did not pay there house would fill up with smoke .they would call him to fix it and when he got there and got paid he would drop a brick and clean up the glass and go home
          How many people did he kill doing that? I gotta say that fella isn't too bright.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Some years ago, we had put in a new water heater for a very popular restaurant in uptown Phoenix who wouldn't pay. A couple of months had passed, and after completing a midnight tie-in on a nearby hotel I found myself driving past this closed establishment. The heater had been installed outdoors behind a gate. I pulled into the parking lot, opened the gate and backed my truck to within 3' of the heater. I shut off the gas, and water, opened the drain valve and took my hacksaw to the 11/2" copper. I then laid it down in the bed of my truck and went home to get some sleep.

About 8am I get a call from the owner saying that he didn't have any hot water. I told him that its was no wonder, because he no longer had a water heater because he hadn't paid me. Angry words were exchanged, but cooler heads prevailed. He agreed to not only pay the original costs but the removal and replacement as well. IN CASH. BEFORE WE UNLOADED THE HEATER!!!! Seems the health department had shown up for an unscheduled inspection. No hot water, no open. I sent a special thanks to my father-in-law, who just happened to show up there on his way to work at the county health department.

Note: This is doable on commercial work only. It belongs to me until you pay me.
            Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

My old boss installed ac units...if you didn't pay....you got a visit from the midnight arrow to the unit....then when they would call for warranty he would either get paid and then condem the unit to supplier..
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

One of my subs got burned for a 20K cabinet job. He showed up to the clients house to demand a check, or a damn good reason why he is not getting paid. He got a check, took it to the bank to cash, it was no good. He went back to the house to to do some warranty service for damaged doors, of course he damaged the doors himself with a crow bar. He insisted that this time the owner go to the bank and bring him cash while he waited, or he will finish the warranty work. Needless to say he got paid.

In CA, you cant take something back once you install it, even if you do not get paid for it, that is stealing. That did not stop my buddy from going in and promising to screw up all of his cabinets in his home and leave a wrecked installed product.

When I worked for Tuff Shed, if somebody did not pay, we would screw the door shut and keep the keys. Once in a blue moon, we would show up with a trailer and winch the turkey on, strap it down, and away we would go.

Mechanics liens require lawsuits to perfect the lien. If you file one, you need to sue to collect. If it is not for a good sum of money, it is not worth the time of day to do it. This is a good reason why to have progress payments written into the contract!
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                  One of my subs got burned for a 20K cabinet job. He showed up to the clients house to demand a check, or a damn good reason why he is not getting paid. He got a check, took it to the bank to cash, it was no good. He went back to the house to to do some warranty service for damaged doors, of course he damaged the doors himself with a crow bar. He insisted that this time the owner go to the bank and bring him cash while he waited, or he will finish the warranty work. Needless to say he got paid.

In CA, you cant take something back once you install it, even if you do not get paid for it, that is stealing. That did not stop my buddy from going in and promising to screw up all of his cabinets in his home and leave a wrecked installed product.

When I worked for Tuff Shed, if somebody did not pay, we would screw the door shut and keep the keys. Once in a blue moon, we would show up with a trailer and winch the turkey on, strap it down, and away we would go.

Mechanics liens require lawsuits to perfect the lien. If you file one, you need to sue to collect. If it is not for a good sum of money, it is not worth the time of day to do it. This is a good reason why to have progress payments written into the contract!
                  That`s the way the law works here you carn`t go onto a property and reclaim something you have installed if the client wont pay for you have to go through the courts and if that is going to be an expensive hassle at least you can claim it as a tax deduction.

Tony

Comment

That might not stop you however from going there and doing some warranty service *cough* sledge hammer modifications. Of course I have heard of guys going to jail for smashing their own television in their own home, I suppose it is all about what you say and how you say it to the cop and judge.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Don't think that by going to court you're guaranteed to get paid either. I just took a former tenant to court for failure to pay me rent and damages done. I won the court case but I'm sure I'll never see a dime. Once the verdict is handed down the courts could care less whether the plaintiff gets paid or not. I may have a talk with the local DA to see if I can file criminal charges for defrauding an Innkeeper but somehow I have the feeling that their answer will be something like, we don't have the staff to pursue cases like that.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This is why my attorney advised me to make contracts on jobs over a certainly level. The contract is specific to his fees being covered by the customer should a claim go to court. I don't see why additional lines could not be added to the contract to allow reasonable access to the property should a repo be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          Don't think that by going to court you're guaranteed to get paid either. I just took a former tenant to court for failure to pay me rent and damages done. I won the court case but I'm sure I'll never see a dime. Once the verdict is handed down the courts could care less whether the plaintiff gets paid or not. I may have a talk with the local DA to see if I can file criminal charges for defrauding an Innkeeper but somehow I have the feeling that their answer will be something like, we don't have the staff to pursue cases like that.
                          Yep or you'll get pennies on the dollar that are owed to you..Wonderul how that works huh.
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X