Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truck Brakes

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact number but generally over sixty or seventy percent of the braking is up front. Changing disc brakes is almost a pleaure compared to doing drums. I would urge folks who do this to invest in a torque wrench and torque the wheel lugs to the proper specs, in some cases it can affect the "pedal" result. I have a friend who insists on changing his brake fluid every three or four years, says it breaks down? I had the same fluid in my 1990 maxima, never added a drop! A word of caution for beginners, try and take some adult education car care course, or spend some time learning how to do brakes the right way. Not rocket science but serious stuff. Some brake systems cannot be compressed at the caliper to fit new pads without damaging the antilock system. Some calipers cannot be compressed with a "C" clamp and must be turned in patiently, a special tool is available but not a necessity. Please, always use jack stands when working on a raised wheel.
    Frank,

I read that if your vehicle is equiped with anti lock brakes the fluid should be changed at regular intervals.

I purchased a mighty vac kit to bleed brakes, also makes it a snap to replace the fluid.

Comment

My 2 Cents:

If you own a Ford Super Duty, use only Original Ford Brakes and I mean Ford not MotorCraft. My good friend who is also an idustrial plumber and I have a fair number of Fords in our fleets. Over some 15 years we have tried various brakes and finally came to the conclusion that the only brake that lasts on these trucks is the OEM vs. We have been told that its a Ceramic Mix of sorts and that's why we get such great mileage out of them.

Comment

When my toyota needs new brakes I'll be using OEM, not aftermarket.

Even if the new ones at auto zone are $20 for all 4. You get what you pay for in brake pads. They're made to not last, just like many other items in the world of consumables.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
        X