Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri-Stack compressor and paint guns??

Hi all,

First post here and so I hope this was the correct forum to use.

I am looking at buying the Tri-Stack compressor. I really like the ability to separate it into two parts and it seems to be the right amount of pressure for the dollar amount. One thing that's a little bit of a concern though is running any type of paint gun with it, specifically auto painting.

I see boasts by the manufacturer about running two nail guns or finishing guns at the same time, but I don't see anything regarding painting. Has anyone used this compressor with paint guns? If so, how well did it work for you? Did it keep up? If it worked well, which gun did you use with it?

Not trying to run an auto shop on it. Just need something for soda blasting and then painting on my VW.

Thanks!

Robert

Re: Tri-Stack compressor and paint guns??

I have the 5 gallon wheel borrow compressor, and it struggles with a spraygun. The other problem is with a smaller compressor is it runs constantly, it creates moisture and some times can put some oil into the line. From my experiance, the ONLY way to spray pain is from a large upright unit. Now, can one of the smaller units work... yes, just not ideal.

There is a plus to the tri-stack though, if you wanted to, you could easily buy a 10 gallon air tank, and easily link it into the system for more volume.

Comment

I had a small compressor and wanted to do some spray work. Needless to say the compressor could not keep up. I pulled the quick connect off and added a T, then put the quick connect back on and added a larger connect that went to a 100# propane tank that was no longer in service. The additional 24 gallons of storage made the unit work but I did have some long intervals for the compressor to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
        I had a small compressor and wanted to do some spray work. Needless to say the compressor could not keep up. I pulled the quick connect off and added a T, then put the quick connect back on and added a larger connect that went to a 100# propane tank that was no longer in service. The additional 24 gallons of storage made the unit work but I did have some long intervals for the compressor to catch up.
        Too funny, I'm looking to build an onboard air system on my truck and have been tossing around the idea of using expired lp tanks or empty spray adhesive containers my dad has from contact glue he uses for veneer and laminate.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          Too funny, I'm looking to build an onboard air system on my truck and have been tossing around the idea of using expired lp tanks or empty spray adhesive containers my dad has from contact glue he uses for veneer and laminate.
          Expired LP tanks are great! The DOT version cylinders have a relief at 375 psi and rated well for any compressed air setup. Just be sure to purge any LP that may be remaining. I pressure the tank to full compressor psi, then invert the tank. Give a few minutes for any LP to settle then discharge the pressure. This should be done no less than 5 times.

Comment

Very much will depend on the CFM / Pressure requirements of your particular gun. Typically (I think), a full sized siphon feed gun will require about 10 cfm @ around 40 to 50 psi. A HVLP gun, will require around 7 to 8 cfm @ 35 to 40 psi. I have a small "touch-up" or "spotting" gun (siphon feed type with index finger-operated lever) that requires around 4 to 5 cfm @ 40 psi. The latter will work with a medium size small compressor like the wheel-barrel type units with 4 to 6 gallon tanks and 1 HP motor.... but, they will pretty much run constantly.

With the larger guns, I can use my Craftsman 33-gal 150 psi compressor as it puts out 8.6 cfm at 40 psi... but even then, the tank will be down to the point where the compressor needs to kick on, within minutes; AND, the compressor alone cannot keep up with the gun's air volume requirements. Hence you spray intermittantly and wait and then resume when the compressor shuts off.

So, other than a "spotting gun", I think you would need at least a compressor with 10 to 12 scfm @ 40 psi, combined with at least a 30-gal tank for sustained spraying. "Spotting or simple touch-ups and you could probably get buy with with a much smaller unit... but the key is to match the tool (the spray gun), at less than what the compressor's output is capable of.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone. While I don't have a gun at this point, i have been paying close attention to the CFM figures, and am leery that the tri-stack will keep up.

I was cruising Craigslist today and there are a couple of used non-Ridgid models that look interesting, and are definitely less in cost, if you ignore the fact they're going to basically have no warranty.

Later,

Robert

Comment

Working...
              X