X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Tree Tax

If you people would do your homework you would find out that the tax was requested by the tree growing association and that it was started under GW, not BHO. BHO only put a stop to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      If you people would do your homework you would find out that the tax was requested by the tree growing association and that it was started under GW, not BHO. BHO only put a stop to it.
      Hell, that's too easy. Plus this give them something to ***** and moan about. Like a gaggle of old blue haired women at an afternoon tea party.

Comment

He put a stop to it due to it's backlash not because of any noble perception.

Why do you assume that folks don't know that? Maybe you ask before you start condemning people.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
          Hell, that's too easy. Plus this give them something to ***** and moan about. Like a gaggle of old blue haired women at an afternoon tea party.
          I complained about President Clinton's sexual misconduct, President G.W. Bush paling around with president of mexico vincente fox and complimenting illegals on doing a good job here. Now I complain about President Obama making speeches about green energy jobs and doing nothing about the solyndra scandal, nothing to secure our borders, address the trade deficit, the economy, jobs. I get it, I'm a complainer. When we get a President and congress to work for "We The People", I'll stop complaining.
          P.S. Does the grecian formula 44 really make my hair look blue?

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
            ~rolleyes~

Comment

Joseph Goebbels would be so proud! It's such a wonderment to see how easily some of us believe and then even vehemently accuse even when the truth of the matter is revealed.

CWS

Comment

Actually I knew that, that is why I said Government and not Obama. My opinions remain unchanged. Again why should any group be able to mandate others pay a fee to the Government so that money can be returned to the group to promote anything? Why not let the group spend their own money without the Government being the tax collector and then giving the money back? I'm sure the money is not a 100% return to the association because there is an expense for administration. They don't say what percentage of the growers/importers belong to the association but the tax will apply to 100% of the growers/importers who grow/import 500 trees or more.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Obuma still has a chance for a Christmas wrapping paper tax
                  Its made of wood

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    The Obama names is part of the link I pasted. I did not directly point out Obama I said Government. However, a mandate is a mandate is a mandate. The increase to the growers/importers/harvesters gets passed to the wholesaler then the retailer and on to the consumer. You have to ask yourself why the "Christmas Tree Checkoff Task Force" needs the Government to collect money for them just to give it back to them so that 12-select members of the "Christmas Tree Checkoff Task Force" can use it to promote Christmas Trees? Why can't the "Christmas Tree Checkoff Task Force" promote Christmas Trees on their own? As a matter of fact, why does the USDA need to mandate Checkoffs of any of the taxes/fees they collect on any commodity?

some checkoffs are voluntary and by a trade organization, like the Corn checkoff by the nation corn growers,
                    National Corn Growers Association | Facebook

Mark
                    In my experience the check offs have been voted on by the producers, and from time to time revoted on,
                    Frank should love this, the propose of the check off is to generically advertise and promote the product,
                    (why do you think we have ethanol? the corn check off, the indivigle corn grower could not hire the lobiests to promote corn, but all banded together, a few cents a bushel can do a lot, the same with the meat check off, how many times have you heard a radio for a cook out and it is brought to you by the meat check off,
                    or Pork the other white meat,
                    or the milk musquash on a add,
                    the reason was to help promote the products, and in the case of christmas trees, real trees have been losing market share to artifical trees and the industry needs to promote there real trees, or many christmas tree growers will and have gone out of business,
                    http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/a...crs/95-353.pdf
                    Congressionally authorized programs now collect assessments for 18 commodities
                    (with the year they began, and collections for the most recent year reported): beef (1986;
                    $79.8 million), blueberries (2000; $1.9 million), cotton (1966; $66.6 million), dairy
                    products (1984; $281.2 million), eggs (1976; $21 million), fluid milk (1993; $107.8
                    million), Hass avocados (2002; $24.2 million), honey (1987; $3.8 million), lamb (2002;
                    $2.3 million), mangos (2005; $3.9 million estimated), mushrooms (1993;
                    $2.6 million),peanuts (1999; $5.7 million), popcorn (1997; $600,000), pork (1986; $65.4 million),
                    potatoes (1972; $10.7 million), sorghum (2008; $12-$16 million projected), soybeans
                    (1991; $89.5 million), and watermelons (1990; $1.6 million). Among other check-offs
                    that have been authorized but either not yet implemented, or terminated by producers in
                    referenda, are canola and rapeseed, wheat, flowers, kiwifruit, limes, and pecans.2
                    the cost on all the ones I have been involved with have been very small, I do not know if they do any good or not, but I know I can not spend enough to properly advertise my farm products, and If I did I would be promoting my neighbors as well and so on, but this way every one contributes a little and hopefully it helps a lot, (I know the corn growers have had success), corn sweetener in in most things and ethanol is in most gasoline, (good bad or ugly) they have promoted there product and increased it value by increasing it use,

it most likely would have helped the tree grower, Christmas trees are a long time investment, 5 to 10 years or more in many cases, and to have a good tree they need to be trimmed and trained, there is a lot of time and labor in the involved, (I have seen some try to do it around here, and what is left is a wind break as when the trees came to marketability there was not a place to sell to, (either they were to small) or did not have the proper connections, I think many thought they would have enough locals come out to "cut" there own or what ever, but even in small town most just want to go to the store or a lot and pick them up, not drive 30 miles to some farmers field and cut one (if it would be in a forest that that may be a different case).

that is my two cents on the subject, when it is said and done I have mixed feeling on the checkoff system, even tho I think in general it is a benefit to the producer. (one thing is is hard to determine the effectiveness of a program like the checkoff, as you do not have base that does not get targeted and thus there is no comparison to how much it does help, how much more beef do you eat because of the slogan, "Beef: It’s What’s for Dinner", I hope it is a lot, I hope it encourages some consumers to buy beef over chicken, or pork, but how does one know?
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A tax on christmas trees what great idea its just one way to pay for the new military bases to be built in Northern Australia to protect me from those Asian hordes if I was Obama I would make it 25 cents even better making you pay ever time you enter your own house let say by swipping a credit card and charging 50 cents you wouldn`t miss a lousy 50 cents would you

Tony

Comment

Just another reason to use a alumminum pole.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Just another reason to use a alumminum pole.

"A Festivus for the rest of us!"

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            In my experience the check offs have been voted on by the producers, and from time to time revoted on,
                            Frank should love this, the propose of the check off is to generically advertise and promote the product,
                            (why do you think we have ethanol? the corn check off, the indivigle corn grower could not hire the lobiests to promote corn, but all banded together, a few cents a bushel can do a lot, the same with the meat check off, how many times have you heard a radio for a cook out and it is brought to you by the meat check off,
                            or Pork the other white meat,
                            or the milk musquash on a add,
                            the reason was to help promote the products, and in the case of christmas trees, real trees have been losing market share to artifical trees and the industry needs to promote there real trees, or many christmas tree growers will and have gone out of business,
                            http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/a...crs/95-353.pdf

the cost on all the ones I have been involved with have been very small, I do not know if they do any good or not, but I know I can not spend enough to properly advertise my farm products, and If I did I would be promoting my neighbors as well and so on, but this way every one contributes a little and hopefully it helps a lot, (I know the corn growers have had success), corn sweetener in in most things and ethanol is in most gasoline, (good bad or ugly) they have promoted there product and increased it value by increasing it use,

it most likely would have helped the tree grower, Christmas trees are a long time investment, 5 to 10 years or more in many cases, and to have a good tree they need to be trimmed and trained, there is a lot of time and labor in the involved, (I have seen some try to do it around here, and what is left is a wind break as when the trees came to marketability there was not a place to sell to, (either they were to small) or did not have the proper connections, I think many thought they would have enough locals come out to "cut" there own or what ever, but even in small town most just want to go to the store or a lot and pick them up, not drive 30 miles to some farmers field and cut one (if it would be in a forest that that may be a different case).

that is my two cents on the subject, when it is said and done I have mixed feeling on the checkoff system, even tho I think in general it is a benefit to the producer. (one thing is is hard to determine the effectiveness of a program like the checkoff, as you do not have base that does not get targeted and thus there is no comparison to how much it does help, how much more beef do you eat because of the slogan, "Beef: It’s What’s for Dinner", I hope it is a lot, I hope it encourages some consumers to buy beef over chicken, or pork, but how does one know?
                            BHD, I'm having a hard time understanding all of this, I'm sort of confused. I guess it makes sense for you folks who produce all these things to stick together and advertise. I can tell you as a consumer from my end the advertising doesn't impact my purchasing. When I am in the food store for example, I no longer buy steak because at $9 or more a pound I can't justify the expense. I will either buy a rump roast at $3.50 or so a pound and have it for a couple of meals or just settle for 80/20 ground beef. Corn oil was around $4.00 a gallon four or five years ago, now it's over $9. My point is that my income has not kept up with the rise in food prices, so while I understand the rising costs to growers, I can't accomodate their needs. I am constantly readjusting my food purchases. In my opinion diet fads will push certain consumers to buy things they can afford such as the craze to avoid carbohydrates driving folks to purchase meat and chicken. Wheter it's the government trying to get a piece of the action or the growers increasing their market exposure and sales, myself and other consumers are limited. I am retired so my income is constant, many middle income folks have not seen their income raised in the last few years, so with the price of gasoline and heating oil more up by 30% over last year how can any reasonble person expect advertising to impact our purchases? I spent a few hours on line trying to find the best price for brake parts for my 97 ford explorer, my last real christmas tree was when I was a kid with my folks. When I have to pay $50 at the pump for half a tank of gas, christmas trees and steak are a distant memory. Sorry to rant on, I'm sort of beat and depressed. Frank

Comment

From Politifact:

Oregon is the No. 1 grower of Christmas firs and pine, harvesting more than 7 million trees. (That’s twice the haul of No. 2 North Carolina.) Was the president seriously imposing a new "tax" that might make our holidays a little less ho-ho-ho?

As it happens, a national fresh tree group had sought the 15-cent tree assessment to better promote its products. It’s a "checkoff program"much like the ones already in place for beef ("it’s what’s for dinner")and pork ("the other white meat").

The Agriculture Department approved the idea. The Internet exploded. By the end of the day, the White House had decided to re-assess.

Betty Malone, an Oregon tree farmer who heads up the Christmas Tree Promotion Now campaign, said she was stunned anyone would describe the tree fee as something dreamed up by the president.

"It’s absurd. We’ve been working on this for three-and-a-half years. The industry has talked about this for 20 years," Malone said. "This started long before Obama" was in the White House.

To be fair, not everyone in the industry embraces the idea, although the National Christmas Tree Association reports the majority of responses to the proposed program were positive.

Would the fee be passed on to consumers? That’s unclear, said Bryan Ostlund, executive director of the Pacific Northwest Christmas Tree Association. "It doesn’t get automatically passed along, but somebody along the line has to cover it."

Finally, there’s the question of whether the 15-cent assessment is actually a "tax." The federal government monitors the agricultural marketing board that administers the money, but the revenue doesn’t go to government. Rick Dungey, spokesman for the national tree association, insists it is not a tax. (He also says consumers should not see a difference in tree prices.)

In Oregon, at least, revenue has to go into the general treasury in order to be considered a tax. If the government doesn’t touch the money, even though government mandates it, the assessment is neither a tax nor a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                BHD, I'm having a hard time understanding all of this, I'm sort of confused. I guess it makes sense for you folks who produce all these things to stick together and advertise. I can tell you as a consumer from my end the advertising doesn't impact my purchasing. When I am in the food store for example, I no longer buy steak because at $9 or more a pound I can't justify the expense. I will either buy a rump roast at $3.50 or so a pound and have it for a couple of meals or just settle for 80/20 ground beef. Corn oil was around $4.00 a gallon four or five years ago, now it's over $9. My point is that my income has not kept up with the rise in food prices, so while I understand the rising costs to growers, I can't accomodate their needs. I am constantly readjusting my food purchases. In my opinion diet fads will push certain consumers to buy things they can afford such as the craze to avoid carbohydrates driving folks to purchase meat and chicken. Wheter it's the government trying to get a piece of the action or the growers increasing their market exposure and sales, myself and other consumers are limited. I am retired so my income is constant, many middle income folks have not seen their income raised in the last few years, so with the price of gasoline and heating oil more up by 30% over last year how can any reasonble person expect advertising to impact our purchases? I spent a few hours on line trying to find the best price for brake parts for my 97 ford explorer, my last real christmas tree was when I was a kid with my folks. When I have to pay $50 at the pump for half a tank of gas, christmas trees and steak are a distant memory. Sorry to rant on, I'm sort of beat and depressed. Frank
                                Why I said you should love this is that it is a form of Union ism, banding to getter to promote your cause. And to improve your income.

Advertisement, is effective, (it may not be as much as it once was, but still is effective), you bought a ford Explorer apparently, WHY, you had the choice of many choices, and the explorer is not the most economical car out their, but for some reason you choose a more expensive operating cost of transportation, than what was avaible, out there, (the comment on fuel price), there was some thing what guided you to the car, and my guess is advertisement was a part of that in some way,

peoples buying habits are guided many times, (yes cost may now be the main driving force) but many times the advertisement is on price. but I am sure you're a smart person that also know buy strictly by price is not the whole picture, you know quality, some what the country of origin, and even who manufactured it, and some what on past experience,

but if you for example see an advertisement and say it is on Christmas trees, and the commercial is such that it hits a memory of your child hood or when your kids were young, it may trigger you to spend the extra for the real tree to hope to rexperence some of that memory, by buying a real tree,

why do you think Ridgid has this web site, it is not just the goodness of there hearts, it is to sell Ridgid tools and to let word of mouth of the end user tell of there experiences with there tools, (how many K60's do you think were bought because of plumber RIcks love of the K60 drain cleaning machine? and then the others that echoed his comments,
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X