Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Paterno of Penn State University FIRED

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    Exactly Frank!!

When the dust settles and more information comes out to what really happened, I "think" we will find that this cover-up was more powerful than Joe Paterno could handle. Nobody is talking about "why" the real reason McQueary isn't being fired, and the reporter who broke this story was on local talk radio today in Philly and he said..."They won't fire McQueary because they know he will talk, and he can't talk because of P.S.U. rules". He also claims..." If McQueary does talk, one of 2 things are going to happen...either he throws Paterno under the bus, or he throws the board of trustees under the bus".
    Heh, Joe and other adults including McQueary could have picked up a phone and called the police. Those children didn't need to be abused to satisfy Joe's or PENN State's supporters. There were several people in a position to help those children and they choose NOT TO. Why you would want to defend one of them doesn't register with me...I don't get it ~shrug~

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
      Heh, I don't hate the guy and I am certainly not closed minded, you said that, not me. So now you have my answer "I don't hate the guy", got it? So now you can stop claiming you know what I am thinking.

Paterno failed morally to do what was right. You should stop kidding yourself and pretending he was "way down the list". If he was on the list (and he was) he should have contacted the police. For people to think differently is unbelievable! Joe Paterno could have helped some of these children that his friend and employee was raping and he choose NOT TO HELP. It is a moral failure of huge proportions. I agree with you that the entire story is not yet out....and I bet there are some people that are certainly worried about that tonight.
      Your words that you express here paint a picture of you not liking Joe Paterno for what has transpired here, and you're entitled to feel that way or not.

But again...let's start from the beginning with placing blame...instead of cutting into the middle of the list of culprits. It should of never got to McQueary being a witness to a crime...and Joe Paterno not being strong enough to handle it. Sandusky should of been jailed in 1998...not 2011. It's a crime for an adult to take naked showers with minors...why were those charges dropped, when they had sufficient evidence AND a statement from Sandusky himself that it was true??

That's the million dollar question if you ask me.

Comment

LOL, I don't know Joe Paterno! What the hell are you even talking about?

What I know is that some children were molested and that some people including Joe Paterno could have helped and chose NOT TO! It is a complete moral failure on his and others part. I know that I wouldn't have given a crap as to who those people knew or what they knew or about my job. I would have done something to help those kids! It has nothing to do with any kind of like, dislike or football it has to do with what is right.
        Last edited by Abbott; 11-11-2011, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Heh, Joe and other adults including McQueary could have picked up a phone and called the police. Those children didn't need to be abused to satisfy Joe's or PENN State's supporters. There were several people in a position to help those children and they choose NOT TO. Why you would want to defend one of them doesn't register with me...I don't get it ~shrug~
          The only thing I'm vehemently defending is that Joe Paterno shouldn't be public enemy #1 that the Media is making him out to be. Joe Paterno is a bigger name..bigger story...then say...Ray Gricar the D.A. who dropped the original charges and who started this mess to begin with. He was in power to do the right and "moral" thing, and he failed these children just as much as everyone else did.

Comment

Well you know Joe was the boss...and the buck stops with him. Do you think Frank would be the fall guy if this forum shitcanned? Nope, Mark or Josh would be in the headline. That's how it works.

There were others as guilty as Joe Paterno if not more culpable. But Joe was the boss and he should of/ could of lead by example and helped those abused kids. He tolerated a child rapist as his subordinate without informing the police (and implicitly allowing more children to be sexually abused) was fired, along with the president of Penn State University, over their failure to put a stop to the crimes as soon as they became aware that a pedophile was using university facilities to anally rape a boy.
            Last edited by Abbott; 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Joe Paterno could have helped and chose NOT TO! It is a complete moral failure on his and others part.
              Partially agree, because Joe "did" report the incident to his superiors like he was supposed to.

If you're at work and your co-worker tells you he witnessed a crime, is your natural instinct to call the Police on hearsay, or is it a natural reaction to tell your boss so they can handle it?

It's very easy to say what we all would do after an incident...how do we know how we would actually react if these things actually happened to us?

Comment

Well you know Joe was the boss...and the buck stops with him. Do you think Frank would be the fall guy if this forum shitcanned? Nope, Mark or Josh would be in the headline. That's how it works.

There were others as guilty as Joe Paterno if not more culpable. But Joe was the boss and he should of/ could of lead by example and helped those abused kids.
                That's where you're wrong and your information is not correct. Joe Paterno was the football coach...not the President of PSU and he wasn't on the board of trustee's. Joe Paterno did NOT run PSU as a whole...he has people he has to answer too.

Comment

That's where you're wrong and your information is not correct. Joe Paterno was the football coach...not the President of PSU and he wasn't on the board of trustee's. Joe Paterno did NOT run PSU as a whole...he has people he has to answer too.
                  WTF does that have to do with failing to call the police and reporting a crime?

LOL, Joe Paterno knew exactly what was going on and he COULD HAVE STOPPED it and chose not to. He turned a blind eye to those children being raped and because of that the man has NO HONOR. I don't give a damn who his bosses were, he could have done more then the minimum that he choose to do!
                  Last edited by Abbott; 11-11-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Partially agree, because Joe "did" report the incident to his superiors like he was supposed to.

If you're at work and your co-worker tells you he witnessed a crime, is your natural instinct to call the Police on hearsay, or is it a natural reaction to tell your boss so they can handle it?

It's very easy to say what we all would do after an incident...how do we know how we would actually react if these things actually happened to us?
                    A crime of this magnitude agaisnt children. The police would be notified! I would be standing between the sonofabitch and the kid while I phoned the police if possible.

Comment

WTF does that have to do with failing to call the police and reporting a crime?

I think at this point you are just trying to prove yourself "right" over an issue!
                      McQueary should of called the Police and reported the crime, because he was the "actual" person who witnessed the crime.

At this point I'm only going off the facts that are being reported...I actually took the time to read all of the information that's been reported so far. This is not about me proving anything except for the fact I paid attention to the facts in the case so far.

How could Joe Paterno stop the crime when he wasn't the person who witnessed it in the first place? The crime was already over with "before" Joe Paterno found out. You do realize that board of trustees forced Sandusky to retire, but yet "they" allowed Sandusky to continue with his program on campus. Joe Paterno didn't give Sandusky the "ok" to continue his outreach program...the President, Executive Vice President and the board of trustees gave that permission. Those people are well above Joe Paterno's paygrade....and Paterno's answers to them.

After Sandusky was forced to retire...his program that he sponsored had nothing to do with Penn State football, which means how in the hell could Joe Paterno know what he was doing every minute of the day? Just because Sandusky was on campus teaching football to these kids or whatever he was teaching...doesn't mean Paterno had anything to do with it.

Paterno was investigated for any wrong doing and he was cleared. However, I agree with you that Paterno should of pleaded to the Board and President that Sandusky should never step foot back on campus. That's the only thing I can find fault with Joe Paterno. For anyone to say Paterno actually knew there were more rapes afterwards is nothing more than speculation from people going on witch hunts to crucify a man who was a great humanitarian before his error in judgement.
                      Last edited by Flux; 11-11-2011, 01:31 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Flux, I have been reading your debate with Abbott and its been very Quit-Pro-Quo. However I have to side with Abbott. I made mention in my earlier posts about a college class I took that dealt with sports in America. One of the books we were required to read was called "Sports in America" by the famed writer, James Michner.
                        Amazon.com: Sports in America (9780449214503): James A. Michener: Books

May I make a suggestion that you buy this book or check it out of your local library if they have it. It may enlighten you. You made the comment about Paterno being just the football coach. My friend when a nationally ranked football coach says jump, everyone including the University President says, How High do you want me to jump. Trust me when I tell you he was more then a Football Coach, he ran this university from the background. There is a reason the guy has been around for so long. You produce winning seasons year after year and people begin to worship you and they forget that your just flesh and bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                          You made the comment about Paterno being just the football coach. My friend when a nationally ranked football coach says jump, everyone including the University President says, How High do you want me to jump. Trust me when I tell you he was more then a Football Coach, he ran this university from the background. There is a reason the guy has been around for so long. You produce winning seasons year after year and people begin to worship you and they forget that your just flesh and bones.
                          I agree with what you say partially, but me living in Pennsylvania, and being surrounded by family, friends and customers who all either graduated out of Penn State, or are contributing boosters to the school, I was privy to inside information about Joe Paterno and what type of person he was (well before this mess). Brad Scioli who played for Joe Pa and also went on to the NFL is a friend of mine. He was born and raised 15 minutes from me, and he use to share a lot of stories about Joe Paterno.

But, as big as Joe Paterno is/was to the school, he still answered to someone, as he did not run the school as many portray...but he did pull weight around there. Not many people know that Joe Paterno, for as smug as he can be sometimes, never took 1 dime more than what he was owed, and also took a lot of his money and built different buildings around that school. Joe Paterno was never being paid the money other coaches of equal value were making, and he never asked for it either. Only those who were close to the program would know, that some on the board of trustees wanted Paterno fired a decade ago because of his aging and stale football philosophy on offense.

So I agree with those who say he had legend status on campus, however I disagree with those people who say he should be the main culprit in this story, and that's why I'm defending this part of Joe Paterno, cause people who never went to Penn State or don't know nothing about the man..would never know some of this stuff about him.

We could all find out in the end that Joe Paterno did play a bigger role in this mess, and that would cause me to change my defending stance about the man. To read the slop that's being reported about Paterno's character with this story is absolutely wrong and premature at this point. The Media is persecuting the man before all of the facts about his role in this matter are actually known.

If Paterno did play a bigger role...he deserves all of the criticism coming to him.

Comment

When McQueary witnessed Sandusky violate the boy, he was unsure what to do? He went to his father and the two of them then decided to go to Joe and tell him what McQueary saw. Since Joe didn't witness the incident, I can understand why Joe didn't take the information to the police.
                            The burning question for me is, why didn't he right then and there urge, no demand, that McQueary do so?
                            Joe's not the criminal here. But, he is in effect, from a moral standpoint, an accessory to the crime(s).
                            If I were talking about George Washington or Gandhi or the guy on the corner, I would feel towards him as I feel towards Joe.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              When McQueary witnessed Sandusky violate the boy, he was unsure what to do? He went to his father and the two of them then decided to go to Joe and tell him what McQueary saw. Since Joe didn't witness the incident, I can understand why Joe didn't take the information to the police.
                              The burning question for me is, why didn't he right then and there urge, no demand, that McQueary do so?
                              Joe's not the criminal here. But, he is in effect, from a moral standpoint, an accessory to the crime(s).
                              If I were talking about George Washington or Gandhi or the guy on the corner, I would feel towards him as I feel towards Joe.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
                              Absolutely agree with what you said.

Being in the heart of Penn state country where I live, the last 72 hours have been very violate, as it's evenly split when it comes to Joe Paterno. Today i was listening to sports radio on the way to the job, and 1 Penn State Alum after another was calling the station ripping the media for chastising the students and for making Joe Paterno out to be the "main" criminal in this investigation. Anyone here who lives in my area knows that our local sports station is dominated by Philly sports on the air waves. The last 72 hours have been dominated by Penn State talk as everyone you bump into went to Penn State or knows someone who did.

But, everyone pretty much agrees (me too) that Joe Paterno knew something and wasn't strong enough or acted cowardly by not doing the right thing. The new thing everyone is complaining about is, why hasn't McQueary been fired yet by the board of trustees. The Board of trustees is still covering something up by not firing this guy, as people "believe" he will talk if he's fired.

Also, people are questioning how much the entire coaching staff knew...and some of the players. From the sounds of it, people want the entire coaching staff fired who was apart of that back then, and they want the rest of the season cancelled right now.

Alcohol - 2 sides of the argument being at the game..could equal a mess tomorrow. People were even ripping ESPN for still going through with airing the game tomorrow, as they will capitalize on the ratings this game will garner tomorrow. Because Penn State is bowl eligible, they were saying nobody is going to want to invite them to a bowl because the sponsors won't want nothing to do with it. It's complete mayhem around here right now!

On a side note, the customer I worked for today is a Penn State alum, and I asked his opinion on the situation. He basically said Paterno needed to be fired because of the pressure being put on the school, but felt it was unfair how the media is making him out to be a worse criminal than Sandusky. In closing he told me a short story about Paterno...he said.." Joe taught me a class while I was in school (my customer is in his late 50's) and I was 20 seconds late to class and he threw me out of the class room cause he didn't tolerate people being late". He also reminded me how Joe Paterno does have his phone number listed and he would accept those calls, and also accept guests to his house if you knocked on the door. He said it didn't matter who you were, if you wanted to talk to him...he was there for the students and fans.

I don't know..I just believe a person is innocent until proven guilty, and the court of public opinion can sometimes alter that process. We all know Joe knew something, but that's the extent anyone knows...and speculation is running rampant now.

I never personally cared for Joe Paterno because he use to rip Notre Dame all the time and I'm a die hard fan, so I thought he was very smug. Oh and that's another thing...people are saying Joe deserved this for the way he treated certain people (NFL scouts - other schools..etc).
                              Last edited by Flux; 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Joe Paterno is a POS. All of the people who knew about the molestation and didn't report it to the police are a POS. Basically they sacrificed little boys for the reputation of the school and the reputation of the people involved. Clear cases of child molestation should result in the death penalty for the offender.

Joe Paterno is a coward despite what he has accomplished in the game of football......at heart he is a coward.

Comment

Working...
                                X