X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Paterno of Penn State University FIRED

Joe Paterno's 46-Year Penn State Tenure Ends With Jerry Sandusky Scandal - WSJ.com

You have learned a very important lesson, and you'll never be remembered for all the good, just the bad that exposed you and the coverup.

I have no sympathy for you, none. You didn't do enough, which puts you in 100% guilt of the situation.

You don't live shoulder to shoulder for 30 years, not knowing.

Lives have been forever damaged, and your legacy is now a complete disappointment.

Harsh?

No. Many innocent lives would of been protected if he had done more. It was a legal matter, not a school matter. Looking the other way just made the abuse and the snowball bigger.

Shame on you and your immediate staff. The school you built is the school you're now destroying.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Joe Paterno of Penn State University FIRED

I was talking to my best friend and old college buddy this evening, just before they announced he had been fired. We both came to the same conclusion.

Back when this all started, had we walked in on some man, (coach, does not matter) doing some 10 year old kid in a college shower we both agreed we would have beat the living Shiit out of the guy, called the cops afterward and said he must have slipped on a bar of soap when we caught him. How this has been covered up for so long is beyond me.

Oh, and to top it off you got to read the story about the original D.A. that looked into the case. Thats a made for T.V. Mystery. This guy disappeared of the face of the planet and no one, and I mean no one has a clue. Its the ultimate cold case.

College Football Icon or not I don't give a rats assss, Paterno should be the next inline to be arrested. He knew what was going on and did nothing about it. All bet the apple of cover up does not fall far from the front door of his old office at Penn.

Side Note: When I was in college I took a class that dealt with leisure in America. I know sounds like a liberal class, it was not. More like an Economics class. Anyways one of the class books was called Sports in America. This book dealt with College Football and how much money a ranked team produces for the University. The numbers back then were mind boggling. I can just imagine what it is today. The book focused on the amount of power the Atheletic Director and the Coach have when there a Top Ten powerhouse school. Facinating book, and course at the time. Because of that knowledge and education I can give a pretty good guess that Paterno knew what was going on.
    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

This 'Dirty Old Men' story is so disappointing on so many levels where victim after victim after victim became of an in-house situation that never left its cage, and grew into one big hidden secret.

Seems like those of power are the most prone to stretch their ability to get away with as much as they can.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm not a Penn State Fan, even though I live in Pennsylvania, and a lot of my family went to Penn State. (Notre Dame fan here)

However, I'm extremely sad that Joe Paterno is leaving the game on these terms, and I have sympathy for the man because of an error in judgement years later after the first incident.

I place the entire blame on the people in charge at PSU, as they had a right to ban Sandusky from ever stepping foot back on campus after the first incident in where the charges were dropped. The football coach doesn't make personal decisions for an entire University or College.

Here is the complete timeline taken from the grand jury report in Pennsylvania..and one can draw their own conclusions as to "who" is really at fault for dropping the ball in this case.

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.

1969: Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.

1977: Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

January 1983: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.

January 1987: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.

1994: Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.

1994-95: Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.

1995-96: Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.

1996-97: Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.

1996-98: Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.

Jan. 1, 1998: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.

1998: Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

June 1999: Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.

Dec. 28, 1999: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Summer 2000: Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall 2000: A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy -- known as Victim 8 -- pinned up against the wall and performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002: A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002: In the morning, the graduate assistant calls coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State athletic director, to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002: Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate): The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.

2005-2006: Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

Spring 2007: During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.

Spring 2008: Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009: An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

September 2010: Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

Nov. 5, 2011: Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

Nov. 7, 2011: Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.

Nov. 8, 2011: Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly press conference.

Nov. 9, 2011: Paterno announces he'll retire at the end of the season.

Comment

Paterno is at great fault here and should be charged with a crime for not reporting what he knew to the police. It makes me sick that people are worried about his and the schools reputation more then they are worried about the people's lives that have been ruined. Those kids needed help and none was to be found as long as games were being won.

Feds to investigate Penn State's handling of sex abuse.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Joe Paterno was fired by the Penn State board of trustees Wednesday night despite saying he would retire as coach after the football season ended, brought down by the growing furor over the handling of child sex abuse allegations against an assistant coach.

Penn State President Graham Spanier was also ousted.

"I am disappointed with the board of trustees' decision, but I have to accept it," the 84-year-old Paterno said in a statement. "A tragedy occurred, and we all have to have patience to let the legal process proceed."
          http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-09-19-17-43
          Last edited by Abbott; 11-10-2011, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I know some may think the firing as harsh given the many years of dedication, but my only sympathy is for the victims. Can you imagine the fear and confusion these kids experienced as this big, powerful, important and "trusted" man forced himself on them? This was not consentual sex between adults, this was a big grown man and children! He was punished by taking his locker room key away? Maybe God can forgive him and the adults who knew and did not make sure he was brought to justice, but I can't stop thinking of the children. Frank

Comment

I enjoyed watching the PENN State Student rioting film clips this morning. I hope they prosecute them as well. They are worshiping a man who turned his back on what can be conceived as the most heinous crime imposed on a child.

At least Alfred Noble got it right before he died. Here is a man that invents Dynamite. Realizes the potential of "good" it will provide mankind, but before his death realizes the evil dynamite will bring in the future. The stepping stone for larger and more inventive explosive devices. So to distance his name from that future he creates a positive dynasty for his name, the "Noble Endowment for Peace and Science".

Had Paterno done the right thing years ago none of this would be taking place right now. I can assure you his name is going to be dragged under the bus on this one. Just wait until all the victims start surfacing and they start demanding heads. This is only the calm before the storm. How's that old saying go, "The stink starts at the Fish's head and goes all the way to the tail."

My predictions: Penn States Football program is going to get hammered by the NCAA for ethics violations.

Comment

It sounds like more heads from the coaching staff should/will roll. Charges should be filed especially on the coach Mike McQueary, who witnessed the attack on the 10 year old boy in the showers and who did not report it to the police. He later then received a promotion and is expected to be coaching this Saturday. These self-serving a-holes need to be fired and prosecuted!

Comment

I'm fine with all the firings and prosecutions, but we are still not getting to the problem of making children safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I'm fine with all the firings and prosecutions, but we are still not getting to the problem of making children safe!
                    How can we protect our children from predators when otherwise good people, for reasons which we can only conjecture, do nothing?

I don't know why this beast was allowed to prey on children for over 10 years. However, those who didn't act know the reason why they didn't.

When he heard people claiming that they would act nobly in such in such a situation, Lenny Bruce would ask "Yes, but have you ever been tested?"

I hope (and pray) that if I'm ever in a similar situation that I will do the right thing.

Comment

What I don't get is the people whom saw the molestion occurring, ie. the grad assist, and they only told someone.
                      If I witness a kid being raped, I am going to report it after, I have stopped it.

I hate pedophile predators.

Comment

You guys all mean well and I bet most if not all of you would do something at that moment, however human nature is a strange thing at times. Sometimes the biggest, toughest and most brave freeze up, or in all these instances made the wrong choice by putting their jobs before those helpless kids. My point was after the fact, after the guilty verdict is handed down, after the sentencing, once that pedophile, predator, rapist is back on the streets, what then? I firmly believe these people cannot be rehabilitated, cannot be trusted to take medications or resist the same urges that drove them to these crimes. You don't have to kill them but I think they should never be around children again. Frank

Comment

In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html

Comment

U.S. Senators Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) announced today that they are rescinding their support for the nomination of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. They issued the following statement:

“In light of the recent events in State College, we are rescinding our support for the nomination of Joe Paterno for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. We hope the proper authorities will move forward with their investigation without delay. Penn State is an important institution in our commonwealth. We should turn our attention to the victims of these atrocious crimes and ensure they get the help they need. Our hearts and prayers go out to them and their families.”

Comment

We seem to be bludgeoned more and more with these really sick crimes, what the hell is happening to us? I cannot begin to tell you what I think should be done to these criminals of the worst kind.

Just as bad as these sick individuals are those who don't step up and stop it, and see that it is prosecuted. I think far too much of our society has gained a mindset of "protecting their own". Some look at it as "honor" to the team, or group, or corp... whatever; but it is just WRONG.

Maybe it's me, but I see more and more where criminals, sex offenders, and those who are just really sick individuals get away because they're protected by their team mates, family, or whatever other group label you want to put on it. "We protect our own" seems to be about as dreadfull as the old "I was only following orders" excuse used to be. I thing we really need to look at the moral corruption that seems to pervail in too much of our society any more, much certainly seems to dominate sports. It would appear that a person of "value" can just about get away with anything.

I'm glad to see that so far, these last couple of days has dealt with these jerks... just really sad that it has taken so damn long.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X