X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressive Ship, Too Bad

I apologize for the slip up and missing pictures. Masterbeavis came to the rescue and posted the complete article and pictures. Please see below. Amazing vessel, unfortunately it only delivers chinese junk to America and takes none of our goods in return. Frank
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-11-2011, 11:40 PM.

Re: Impressive Ship, Too Bad

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    The Emma Maersk, part of a Danish shipping line, is shown in the photos below.

What a ship....no wonder 'Made in China ' is displacing North American made goods big time. This monster transports goods across the Pacific in just 5 days!!This is one of three ships presently in service, with another two ships commissionedto be completed in 2012.

These ships were commissioned by Wal-Mart to get all their
    goods and stuff from China ... They hold an incredible 15,000
    containers and have a 207 foot deck beam!! The full crew is just
    13 people on a ship longer than a US Aircraft Carrier (which has a
    crew of 5,000. With its 207' beam it is too big to fit through the
    Panama or Suez Canals ....

It is strictly Transpacific. Cruise speed: 31 knots.

The goods arrive 4 days before the typical container ship (18-20
    knots) on a China-to-California run. 91% of Wal-Mart products are
    made in China. So this behemoth is hugely competitive even
    when carrying perishable goods.

The ship was built in five sections. The sections floated
    together and then welded.

The command bridge is higher than a 10-story building and has
    11 cargo crane rigs that can operate simultaneously unloading
    the entire ship in less than two hours.

Additional info:

Country of origin - Denmark
    Length - 1,302 ft
    Width - 207 ft
    Net cargo - 123,200 tons
    Engine - 14 cylinders in-line diesel engine (110,000 BHP)
    Cruise Speed - 31 knots

Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)
    Crew - 13 people !
    First Trip - Sept. 08, 2006
    Construction cost - US $145,000,000+

Silicone painting applied to the ship bottom reduces water
    resistance and saves 317,000 gallons of diesel per year.

Editorial Comment!

A recent documentary in late March, 2010 on the History
    Channel noted that all of these containers are shipped back to
    China , EMPTY.. Yep, that's right.
    We send nothing back on these ships.
    What does that tell you about the current financial state of this country?
    So folks, just keep on buying those imported goods (mostly gadgets) until you run out
    of money. Then you may wonder what the cause of unemployment
    (maybe even your job) in the U.S.. and Canada and even in Australia might be????

ummmm what photos
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Come on Frank...there is no photo's!!

Comment

These ships were commissioned by Wal-Mart to get all their goods and stuff from China. The Emma Maersk | UFO'S BLOG PAGES AND WEB SITES\

Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I own a lot of stuff from China that's not junk. I'm not sure what you have been buying Frank ~shrug~

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            I own a lot of stuff from China that's not junk. I'm not sure what you have been buying Frank ~shrug~
            Abbott, the point of the article is that our economy can't survive importing and not exporting. The chinese junk I refer to includes poorly made auto parts, lawn and garden tools and machines, appliances and just about everything sold in home depot and walmart that comes from china. things that used to have metal gears, handles and other parts are nw made of plastic that doesn't last very long and requires constant replacement. I go to yard sales to buy old shovels and rakes because the ones sold from china are plastic and break easily. I'm glad you got some good products that you are happy with, but as I said the bigger issue here is that unless we had similar giant cargo ships filled with goods we made going to foreign lands our economy is going to crash and burn. I'm not insulting you again for buying these goods, but you should be aware of the error in judgement made by those who think this system can be sustained. Even if eveything china exported to us was of great quality we are a dying economy supporting our own downfall. Frank

Comment

China is doing exactly what Japan did after WW2, if a US company wants some thing, and only gives a rough specifications, they will build it to meet the specifications ONLY, or for a given price, and what they can do to line there pockets they will do,
              now the companies that have good chinese products, have higher specifications, and usually keep company inspectors at the plant keeping an eye on the products there having produced,

(not sure the situation to day), but that is why at one time you could look at a Delta tool and see what looked like an Identical "Harbor freight" tool, were they the same, yes and no, many times there were made side by side in the same factory, but the Delta had in house inspectors and the fit and finish were superior, and the tolerances were better, and end working of the tools was better, the Delta tools were better tools, even although they were making Knock off of the same tool to sell to others that would not meet Deltas specifications,

(look at the Chinese honda engines, there copies of Honda engines, and there a number of companies that make them, I hear some are very good, and some are junk, but how is the American consumer going to know? we see, a CHonda engine, and if you got a bad one there all bad, and if you got a good one then your thinking is there all good, (it is just like any product out there US or CHinese made, some are good and some are not as good, (but since many of the Chinese made products are on the lower scale of price and value, there usually the poorer quality,

at one time Japan was considered junk products, now if you want quality you look to Japan for a quality product,

I was just watching the news this morning and it was a PBS, Asian news, and they were saying on how labor in China is going up and now there looking for new sources of labor in Mymanar "Burma" other countries in that region,

my guess is that China will be considered a higher quality in general and the new emerging economies will be considered as junk,

(many of you consider Ridgid tools power tools as quality and most are Chinese made). it is more who is controlling the quality control of the product, rather than where it is made),
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If our economy was in good shape, unemployment low and sustainable, I would say sure we can put up with low quality imported goods. Unless there is some master plan to supply us with junk expecting we will be forced to repurchase every few years, there's a good chance quality will improve over time. My number one concern is that we can't survive if we keep importing like we have been. Our economy is massive and the problem is not something seen immediately, it takes years of job loss and consumer dollars leaving our hands to see the damage done. So whether or not the quality improves, unless someone can explain how we can survive on the current course I don't see the sense in what is happening. I have a neighbor who is chinese and travels to china on a regular basis. He was talking to myself and another neighbor a couple of days ago and bragging about how wonderful things were in china. He said there was a massive construction project in the works to link sevral cities by some futuristic rail system. when he said everyone seems happy, I asked what happens if someone complains or protests? He said they are dealt with in a swift and brutal manner. He did not defend the brutal leadership. That is what we are facing, we either build up our economy and strengthen our America with jobs, or continue to see our economy decline as our communist provider grows more powerful. Frank

Comment

I hope it sinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Abbott, the point of the article is that our economy can't survive importing and not exporting. The chinese junk I refer to includes poorly made auto parts, lawn and garden tools and machines, appliances and just about everything sold in home depot and walmart that comes from china. things that used to have metal gears, handles and other parts are nw made of plastic that doesn't last very long and requires constant replacement. I go to yard sales to buy old shovels and rakes because the ones sold from china are plastic and break easily. I'm glad you got some good products that you are happy with, but as I said the bigger issue here is that unless we had similar giant cargo ships filled with goods we made going to foreign lands our economy is going to crash and burn. I'm not insulting you again for buying these goods, but you should be aware of the error in judgement made by those who think this system can be sustained. Even if eveything china exported to us was of great quality we are a dying economy supporting our own downfall. Frank
                    Frank I could not agree with you more. I bought a pair of Fisker sheers a few days ago, German eng. made in China, and got about 30 minutes of use before the literally broke in half.

An interseting side note about WalMart and China. About a year ago I was reading an economics article about China. There number one customer in the world is not a Country but a Company, WalMart.

The study went on to say that China has so much of its Gross National Production invested in WalMart "goods" that if WalMart decided one day to stop buying for a week or two the Chinese economy would crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                      Frank I could not agree with you more. I bought a pair of Fisker sheers a few days ago, German eng. made in China, and got about 30 minutes of use before the literally broke in half.

An interseting side note about WalMart and China. About a year ago I was reading an economics article about China. There number one customer in the world is not a Country but a Company, WalMart.

The study went on to say that China has so much of its Gross National Production invested in WalMart "goods" that if WalMart decided one day to stop buying for a week or two the Chinese economy would crash.
                      I have had the same experience with many products formerly made here and in germany. Folding knives are one example. I think some younger folks never knew what better quality products were so they don't know the difference. Years ago when I did telephone work I would occassionally do in home repairs and I noticed for the most part when I worked in an elderly person's home it was like a time machine. Elderely folks have toasters, blenders, window fans, telephones that are sometimes over forty or fifty years old, not because they are chaep but because they still worked! I am on my third toaster oven, toaster and other household items in ten years, things just don't last anymore!!!
                      This link shows worldwide income totals for walmart, and if I am seeing it right the USA accounts for three quarters of their sales. That means we are the consumer base for china. Where is our consumer base? No where which is why I am positive our economy is doomed unless that can change.Walmart Annual Report 2010 - Worldwide Locations

Comment

These are Jameson style c made in the USA splicer's shears cutting a penny. They will cut a penny clean in half and still not lose their edge. Try that with their chinese replacement!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't cut pennies but I do work my tools everyday and they do the job. I just picked up a new cordless grinder and its as good as they get. This one was made in Taiwan and I bought the tool because IMO its the best brand going. I own several tools made by the same company and they have been my go to tool brand for many years. I have enough experience to know which tools to buy and which to pass up.
                          Last edited by Abbott; 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                            I don't cut pennies but I do work my tools everyday and they do the job. I just picked up a new cordless grinder and its as good as they get. This one was made in Taiwan and I bought the tool because IMO its the best brand going. I own several tools made by the same company and they have been my go to tool brand for many years. I have enough experience to know which tools to buy and which to pass up.
                            You don't cut pennies because you can't cut pennies! I wish I had a penny for every penny I've cut.

Comment

Working...
                            X