• Show
Clear All

• Hr 1148

Whats your take on HR 1148?

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...;storyMediaBox

try this link instead
    http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.112hr1148
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Hr 1148

Bob, thanks for the post. I can't say that I'm at all surprised or shocked. I believe these powerful people don't have to report contributions to their charities. Imagine millions in contributions to a charity I support or manage? Our America is for sale, has been for sale and instead of ridding washington of lobbyists, it continues to be for sale. We are doomed! Seriously, no matter who we elect, their interest is not what is best for America and "We The People". Frank

Comment

Bob,

I didn't get anything from your link, other that a blank page titled "Library of Congress"... But, I did watch the "60 Minutes" segment last night and caught the HR1148 tag on the house bill.

It's a lot more than "charitable contributions" though, and I'd basically label it as "Insider Trading" which for some reason our Congress seems to be entirely exempt from. While I'm not exactly "shocked" (aparently nothing that Congress does anymore shocks me), I definitely have great disdain for this practice and I don't care who you are, if you stand to make immense profits from your decision-making powers than you are INFLUENCED and most likely will make a decision that is best for you and NOT the American people who put you into that job.

The cases cited were on "both sides of the isle" and this BS response by both the party leaders of denial and "I'll stand on my record" is disappointing to say the least. I think the program did a great job, but let's see if there is any follow-up by anyone, on any network, or in any government agency on these self-centered acts. Congress, given their record of rarely doing the right thing should have some oversights, as this is clearly not benefitting anybody but themselves and the industries that they are supposed to be legislating for the good of the country.

This of course is nothing new, and I'm sure if any of us goes back into history we'll find few surprises as to who benefits and who looses... that latter almost always being the working class.

Thanks for the post,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Bob,

I didn't get anything from your link, other that a blank page titled "Library of Congress"... But, I did watch the "60 Minutes" segment last night and caught the HR1148 tag on the house bill.

It's a lot more than "charitable contributions" though, and I'd basically label it as "Insider Trading" which for some reason our Congress seems to be entirely exempt from. While I'm not exactly "shocked" (aparently nothing that Congress does anymore shocks me), I definitely have great disdain for this practice and I don't care who you are, if you stand to make immense profits from your decision-making powers than you are INFLUENCED and most likely will make a decision that is best for you and NOT the American people who put you into that job.

The cases cited were on "both sides of the isle" and this BS response by both the party leaders of denial and "I'll stand on my record" is disappointing to say the least. I think the program did a great job, but let's see if there is any follow-up by anyone, on any network, or in any government agency on these self-centered acts. Congress, given their record of rarely doing the right thing should have some oversights, as this is clearly not benefitting anybody but themselves and the industries that they are supposed to be legislating for the good of the country.

This of course is nothing new, and I'm sure if any of us goes back into history we'll find few surprises as to who benefits and who looses... that latter almost always being the working class.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
        CWS, the video was about the legal insider trading, I threw in the unreported charitable donations to the mix. I don't see how our legislators can remain neutral when they are receiving such wealth from their dealings. Frank

Comment

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.112hr1148

Congress, given their record of rarely doing the right thing should have some oversights
          They DO have oversight. The problem is that not enough of those with the power to do something about it will do anything...which is vote the SOBs out of office. All of them, every year. Never vote to re-elect anyone and impeach anyone who breaks the rules while in office, don't just wait and vote them out. Do it NOW!

We, as a people, don't exercise this power enough (if ever). And as long as we don't they are free to run all over us.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - H.R.1148 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

They DO have oversight. The problem is that not enough of those with the power to do something about it will do anything...which is vote the SOBs out of office. All of them, every year. Never vote to re-elect anyone and impeach anyone who breaks the rules while in office, don't just wait and vote them out. Do it NOW!

We, as a people, don't exercise this power enough (if ever). And as long as we don't they are free to run all over us.
            Bob, even if we have that vote the bums out trend take place, we are still not getting the positive and necessary changes our country needs. Laws do need to change so even if they are only in one term they can't profit from the stock trading or unreported charitable donations to their charities. Probably would'nt hurt to prosecute more of them but they seem to be bullet proof.

Comment

Bob (and everyone else),

Since the very first time I voted, I've always promoted the slogan, "When in doubt, vote them out!" Unfortunately, I think most voters are simply lazy and almost always the incumbant Senator or Congressman is re-elected. I think that people generally just vote for the "familiar" name, if they vote at all. (I've NEVER missed an election, local or otherwise.)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                Bob (and everyone else),

Since the very first time I voted, I've always promoted the slogan, "When in doubt, vote them out!" Unfortunately, I think most voters are simply lazy and almost always the incumbant Senator or Congressman is re-elected. I think that people generally just vote for the "familiar" name, if they vote at all. (I've NEVER missed an election, local or otherwise.)

CWS
                I've voted in every election since I turned 18, unfortunately it has become very difficult. Thismost recent election was the worst so far. I can't stand either party for numerous reasons and choosing between them seems pointless. on a related note, I read that some town decided to terminate their current police force and hire an outside firm to police their town. I think it's a great idea, but why stop there? Why not hire illegals at $2.00 an hour, like day laborers? Give them a badge, gun and patrol car. What happened to my beautiful America?

Excuse me but if you are going to work as a police officer in America you will have to display a badge!
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-14-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X