X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Township rules

As most of you know, I'm currently having a house built (they started digging this week), and I was reading the zoning & township rules for the area I'm going to live in.

I found a few concerns that really got my blood pressure up, and I feel like sharing them with you all.

1. This one horse township has a "self employed/home business" rule. I'm only allowed to use 25% of my house for office space. wtf? Plus, I have to fill out paper work, and hand it in to the township to be approved for my business. I got the township manager on the phone to ask questions, and this cocky "you know what" was laying the law down to me. He went through the whole spiel of.."You can't have deliveries, no customers to the house, No equipment outside your house, No material outside of your house". Now some of that I can understand, but if I need a part UPS to me..guess what? I'm going to do it!

2. If my truck was over 10,000lbs I couldn't have it parked in my development. Well lucky for me, my new truck is 9,900lbs! The township manager said something to the effect of..."No diesel engines revving up in the neighborhood blah blah blah". Well, I don't have a diesel, but I can't wait to get a crew-cab diesel one day for my personal vehicle...and just for his comment...I'm going to put stacks on it now!

3. Wtf is with this whole "building envelope" bullcrap? Any structure that I put on my property that is over 150sqft, has to be 30' off the back line, and 20ft on one side and 15' off the other side. The kicker is...I'm not allowed no more than 18% coverage on my total sqft of the property!! So for example...my property is roughly 19,500 sqft. My house is roughly 2,500sqft...so @ 18% (3510sqft total), that leaves me 1010 sqft left for any accessory structure like shed,pool,deck,patio,driveway..etc.

4. This 1 horse township with a population of 10,000 doesn't believe in trash cans. Oh no...we have to buy trash bags off the township for all of our trash. Nobody else in my county does this, but yet this township that's out in the middle of nowhere, believes they are above everyone else. We have to pay $13.00 for (5) 40 gallon trash bags.

This is all my fault though, cause I didn't check these rules out before I decided to buy this house. Wtf happened to this country in where we just regulate people to death? They use to say America is a free country, but yet these townships get away with flirting with infringing upon Constitutional Rights!

I absolutely understand that you get 1 idiot who will have his property looking like a junk yard, and he will ruin it for others. But yet, the minority seems to rule the majority when it comes to laws. No wonder why people don't take out permits...too much government in our lives! The township manager was more concerned with what my neighbors thought, instead of worrying about how we ALL feel.

I know one thing...guess who will be trying to get on the zoning board when he moves in 6 months?

I will be a permanent fixture at township meetings...can't wait to meet everyone!

Re: Township rules

Flux, take it from a guy who was always up front and suffered for it, don't show your cards too soon! Consult a laywer with your concerns because it might save you a world of aggravation. The 25% of your home for office space and the deliveries and customers is obviously to prevent commercial businesses in residential neighborhoods. They may have had folks parking heavy equipment on lawns in the past?
    I got a ticket in NY years ago for "modified exhaust" when I put headers on my car, so be careful with the stacks on your future diesel.
    We have set back rules where I live regarding sheds and other buildings but some of that can be gotten around if they are not on permanent foundations. You might also get a variance from the town or permission from your neighbor? Most towns have similar rules, and the folks who sit in charge can be real pains in the butt. When I had my first house in a small town in upstate NY the tax assessor would ride around on the weekends listening for power tools so he could bust folks for not having permits! He would also just open up gates and walk on your property unannounced, a good way to get shot. If you didn't let him in your house he would assess as if you had all sorts of things that raised your taxes. It was like living in some kind of communist country. Sometimes the smaller the community the more nutty the rules, and people who make them up and enforce them. Keep a cool head.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      Flux, take it from a guy who was always up front and suffered for it, don't show your cards too soon! Consult a laywer with your concerns because it might save you a world of aggravation. The 25% of your home for office space and the deliveries and customers is obviously to prevent commercial businesses in residential neighborhoods. They may have had folks parking heavy equipment on lawns in the past?
      I got a ticket in NY years ago for "modified exhaust" when I put headers on my car, so be careful with the stacks on your future diesel.
      We have set back rules where I live regarding sheds and other buildings but some of that can be gotten around if they are not on permanent foundations. You might also get a variance from the town or permission from your neighbor? Most towns have similar rules, and the folks who sit in charge can be real pains in the butt. When I had my first house in a small town in upstate NY the tax assessor would ride around on the weekends listening for power tools so he could bust folks for not having permits! He would also just open up gates and walk on your property unannounced, a good way to get shot. If you didn't let him in your house he would assess as if you had all sorts of things that raised your taxes. It was like living in some kind of communist country. Sometimes the smaller the community the more nutty the rules, and people who make them up and enforce them. Keep a cool head.
      Some of those rules I can understand, but some of those rules are just down right absurd!

I picked the biggest lot left in this phase, (1/2 acre) and I would like to utilize the property I'm paying for. Being 30' off the back line for a shed bigger than 150sqft is absolutely ridiculous! Under 150sqft it's 10' off the back line.

But, it seems as though they have every angle covered as far as buildings go, so foundations or not doesn't matter, as they get you with the 18% coverage for the entire property. I said something to my dad about getting permission from the zoning board, and he said it's basically a crap shoot.

I'm going to have to pick and choose my battles, but you're right, I can't let my quick temper get the best of me and show my cards too soon. The only thing I will consult a lawyer on, is if they infringe upon my Constitutional rights to make a living, as they better be careful of that.

I'm surprise the township solicitor allowed some of those rules on "home businesses" were allowed to pass.

Comment

Flux, turbos are considered a "muffler" on a diesel... by the way, the 24v cummins powered dodge (98.5-02) have a great warm up feature. They ramp up to 1200 rpm when temps are below 30* and under 20* (iirc) they go to 3 cylinder idle. With stacks, at 1200 rpm, 3 cylinder idle at 10* F out, it will rattle windows 4 houses away! I kind of miss my stacks! But oh well, can only be so redneck before customers turn away...

I hate to say this, but I could have told you were in for trouble going with a development home. I will never live in city limits for this reason. Around here, I couldn't park my trailer in my own driveway if I lived in town. Hell, you can't even park a skid loader in your driveway!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          Flux, turbos are considered a "muffler" on a diesel... by the way, the 24v cummins powered dodge (98.5-02) have a great warm up feature. They ramp up to 1200 rpm when temps are below 30* and under 20* (iirc) they go to 3 cylinder idle. With stacks, at 1200 rpm, 3 cylinder idle at 10* F out, it will rattle windows 4 houses away! I kind of miss my stacks! But oh well, can only be so redneck before customers turn away...

I hate to say this, but I could have told you were in for trouble going with a development home. I will never live in city limits for this reason. Around here, I couldn't park my trailer in my own driveway if I lived in town. Hell, you can't even park a skid loader in your driveway!
          Even though I'm a Ford guy, the Cummins sounds so bad a$$ when exhaust work is done. Wonder what my neighbors would think if they saw twin stacks blowing black smoke into the sky.

Anyways,

These rules are not just for developments, it's for people living in R-2 residential, regardless if you live in a development or not. I hate H.O.A.'s and swore I would never live in one, but I do have an H.O.A. but it's only for grass cutting of open space. I read through all 50 pages of their rules, and everything reverts back to the township on building laws, and rights etc. . So for example, if I wanted to paint my front door bright pink with polka dots all over it, the H.O.A. doesn't have a say...it's not one of those H.O.A.'s.

Comment

Flux your building rules I know are frustrating but there nothing compared to the Home Ownership Association rules out here in California. The last HOA that we lived in was in the process of passing a new rule that said that any truck 1 ton or more would not be able to park in the association. I drive a F350 Crew Cab 4/4 long bed. We had one garage so they required you to park one vehicle at all times in your garage, and then you could get one more sticker for another car. If you had more then two cars, you had to pay an additional annual fee of around $400.00 for the privilege of parking those other cars.

At our current HOA that we live in I had to go to a board meeting about five weeks ago. The reason. For the last five years they have been sending us letters telling us we have to park at least one car in the garage. We have a custom roadster I built years ago in the garage. We send them pictures of the car in the garage, the problem goes away for a few months. Then we get another letter. Then over the last six months the letters got more aggressive until finally they said you have to appear before the board. So I went in. Showed pictures of the car. Even brought in a recent picture of the car with our state Senator and his family sitting on the back trunk of the car as I drove them through our local Xmas parade. Then I looked at them and said, this;

"Hey, what does it take to get you people off my back. Look, I have a F350, Crew Cab, Long Bed Diesel truck with a lift kit. (1) its 26 feet long and the garage is only 20' deep. (2) the truck is lifted so it sits at little over eight feet tall. The garage door when its lifted is just under eight feet. So how the helll am I suppose to get this thing in the garage. My wifes car is a 2011 Ford Expedition xtl 4x4. That sits at 18.5'. Again, how am I suppose to fit this in the garage when the Water Heater sits 3' off of one back corner and a Utility Sink sits 2' off the other back corner."

You should have seen the look on there faces. Especially after I threatened to sue them for harassment. Flux I could write twenty pages on HOA issues I have dealt with. Its amazing the power trip these people get when they have authority over other home owners.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
              Flux your building rules I know are frustrating but there nothing compared to the Home Ownership Association rules out here in California. The last HOA that we lived in was in the process of passing a new rule that said that any truck 1 ton or more would not be able to park in the association. I drive a F350 Crew Cab 4/4 long bed. We had one garage so they required you to park one vehicle at all times in your garage, and then you could get one more sticker for another car. If you had more then two cars, you had to pay an additional annual fee of around $400.00 for the privilege of parking those other cars.

At our current HOA that we live in I had to go to a board meeting about five weeks ago. The reason. For the last five years they have been sending us letters telling us we have to park at least one car in the garage. We have a custom roadster I built years ago in the garage. We send them pictures of the car in the garage, the problem goes away for a few months. Then we get another letter. Then over the last six months the letters got more aggressive until finally they said you have to appear before the board. So I went in. Showed pictures of the car. Even brought in a recent picture of the car with our state Senator and his family sitting on the back trunk of the car as I drove them through our local Xmas parade. Then I looked at them and said, this;

"Hey, what does it take to get you people off my back. Look, I have a F350, Crew Cab, Long Bed Diesel truck with a lift kit. (1) its 26 feet long and the garage is only 20' deep. (2) the truck is lifted so it sits at little over eight feet tall. The garage door when its lifted is just under eight feet. So how the helll am I suppose to get this thing in the garage. My wifes car is a 2011 Ford Expedition xtl 4x4. That sits at 18.5'. Again, how am I suppose to fit this in the garage when the Water Heater sits 3' off of one back corner and a Utility Sink sits 2' off the other back corner."

You should have seen the look on there faces. Especially after I threatened to sue them for harassment. Flux I could write twenty pages on HOA issues I have dealt with. Its amazing the power trip these people get when they have authority over other home owners.
              This is all new for me and my wife, since we are first time home buyers, and so I never really paid attention to rules of townships or H.O.A.'s. If our H.O.A. was that strict, we wouldn't of bought this house at all. Our problems are with the township itself and the communist rules they are implementing upon their residents.

I have room in our building envelope to put a nice custom shed built by the Amish, and I can't wait for that battle, as it will piss off my neighbors I'm sure. I can actually go 20' in the air if I wish, but I need something to store my equipment incase something "heaven forbid" happens to my father, and I have to move everything from our current shop on his property. I'm planning on a nice 14x28 structure so I have the room to store other stuff as well. But I was thinking about going 2 stories high, since I have the clearance to do it.

The thing that frosted me the most was...I was nice and polite with this township manager with my initial e-mail and when he first called me. The tone and arrogance from the start with him, really fired me up, and now he's got my attention! But I have to figure out a way to battle this guy in a more diplomatic way then going at him "guns a blazing". (No pun intended)

Comment

Flux, I think you could easily go three stories, span-crete is a wonderful thing! You could put a 10-12' deep "basement" in your "shed" and then get a 10' garage and 8' loft above that. That 14x28 basement would be a great man cave! Oh, while your at it, bury another 40' or how ever much room you have left on your property, of 3-4' storm sewer pipe that attaches to the basement. Install lights and a pulley system to drag targets down the pipe. Makes for a nice private shooting range.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  As most of you know, I'm currently having a house built (they started digging this week), and I was reading the zoning & township rules for the area I'm going to live in.

I found a few concerns that really got my blood pressure up, and I feel like sharing them with you all.

1. This one horse township has a "self employed/home business" rule. I'm only allowed to use 25% of my house for office space. wtf? Plus, I have to fill out paper work, and hand it in to the township to be approved for my business. I got the township manager on the phone to ask questions, and this cocky "you know what" was laying the law down to me. He went through the whole spiel of.."You can't have deliveries, no customers to the house, No equipment outside your house, No material outside of your house". Now some of that I can understand, but if I need a part UPS to me..guess what? I'm going to do it!

2. If my truck was over 10,000lbs I couldn't have it parked in my development. Well lucky for me, my new truck is 9,900lbs! The township manager said something to the effect of..."No diesel engines revving up in the neighborhood blah blah blah". Well, I don't have a diesel, but I can't wait to get a crew-cab diesel one day for my personal vehicle...and just for his comment...I'm going to put stacks on it now!

3. Wtf is with this whole "building envelope" bullcrap? Any structure that I put on my property that is over 150sqft, has to be 30' off the back line, and 20ft on one side and 15' off the other side. The kicker is...I'm not allowed no more than 18% coverage on my total sqft of the property!! So for example...my property is roughly 19,500 sqft. My house is roughly 2,500sqft...so @ 18% (3510sqft total), that leaves me 1010 sqft left for any accessory structure like shed,pool,deck,patio,driveway..etc.

4. This 1 horse township with a population of 10,000 doesn't believe in trash cans. Oh no...we have to buy trash bags off the township for all of our trash. Nobody else in my county does this, but yet this township that's out in the middle of nowhere, believes they are above everyone else. We have to pay $13.00 for (5) 40 gallon trash bags.

This is all my fault though, cause I didn't check these rules out before I decided to buy this house. Wtf happened to this country in where we just regulate people to death? They use to say America is a free country, but yet these townships get away with flirting with infringing upon Constitutional Rights!

I absolutely understand that you get 1 idiot who will have his property looking like a junk yard, and he will ruin it for others. But yet, the minority seems to rule the majority when it comes to laws. No wonder why people don't take out permits...too much government in our lives! The township manager was more concerned with what my neighbors thought, instead of worrying about how we ALL feel.

I know one thing...guess who will be trying to get on the zoning board when he moves in 6 months?

I will be a permanent fixture at township meetings...can't wait to meet everyone!
                  Thats the worst i ever heard !!!!!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think the point is that when you move to a new neighborhood, town, village, whatever, you need to do your homework upfront. Rules are generally there for the good of the area and for the benefit of the people who have lived there long before you. I presume there was something about the neighborhood that attracted you and your wife to it... it's sounds a lot like the old, "I love you so much, please marry me.... AND NOW CHANGE!"

Some rules do sound a bit strange, but comparing them to the two homes and widely dispersed (75 miles apart) that I own, they do not sound unreasonable at all. Here in Binghamton, "city bags" are required as trash cans require more labor to handle, aren't as efficient, and are rarely maintained or properly cleaned by the users. Back in Painted Post, trash pickup is not the village's responsibility and it cost a considerable sum for each homeowner to contract a private concern.

No neighbor wants to see some guy move in and then have all kinds of traffic from clients, deliveries, etc. coming each and every day. I do not believe the rule applies to any UPS daily delivery though. If you have a business that requires such traffic, then that is why there are "commercial" zones vs "residential" zones. In "residential zones" many restrictions apply to the kinds of so-called home-based businesses that are allowed.

Likewise, who wants to see a neighbor move in only to find out that they belong to the local motorcycle club and you now hear him and his friends rumbling up and down the street at all times of the day or night... or for that matter the unusually noisey diesel engine on some of our larger trucks that come with "commercial" businesses. (Again, this is presumably a "residentially zoned" neighborhood.)

The point is that some rule may seem confrontational to you, even though they are meant to protect the existing neighbors. Try to look at it from their point of view or perhaps to look at your own "dislikes" and ask yourself if you would want the neighborhood so open as to allow those particular nuisances to infringe on your sanctuary?

Other rules however, if you really feel strongly about it, should certainly be challenged in the city council.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 11-18-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      I think the point is that when you move to a new neighborhood, town, village, whatever, you need to do your homework upfront. Rules are generally there for the good of the area and for the benefit of the people who have lived there long before you. I presume there was something about the neighborhood that attracted you and your wife to it... it's sounds a lot like the old, "I love you so much, please marry me.... AND NOW CHANGE!"

Some rules do sound a bit strange, but comparing them to the two homes and widely dispersed (75 miles apart) that I own, they do not sound unreasonable at all. Here in Binghamton, "city bags" are required as trash cans require more labor to handle, aren't as efficient, and are rarely maintained or properly cleaned by the users. Back in Painted Post, trash pickup is not the village's responsibility and it cost a considerable sum for each homeowner to contract a private concern.

No neighbor wants to see some guy move in and then have all kinds of traffic from clients, deliveries, etc. coming each and every day. I do not believe the rule applies to any UPS daily delivery though. If you have a business that requires such traffic, then that is why there are "commercial" zones vs "residential" zones. In "residential zones" many restrictions apply to the kinds of so-called home-based businesses that are allowed.

Likewise, who wants to see a neighbor move in only to find out that they belong to the local motorcycle club and you now hear him and his friends rumbling up and down the street at all times of the day or night... or for that matter the unusually noisey diesel engine on some of our larger trucks that come with "commercial" businesses. (Again, this is presumably a "residentially zoned" neighborhood.)

The point is that some rule may seem confrontational to you, even though they are meant to protect the existing neighbors. Try to look at it from their point of view or perhaps to look at your own "dislikes" and ask yourself if you would want the neighborhood so open as to allow those particular nuisances to infringe on your sanctuary?

Other rules however, if you really feel strongly about it, should certainly be challenged in the city council.

CWS
                      No state can infringe on the 14th amendment (section 1) which states - No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Which means I have the right to move anywhere I please and be self employed and no jurisdiction, township, or state can infringe upon those rights. Being self employed, I have the right to put up a safe structure by town code because it is business related.

I also have the right to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness which is in our Declaration of Independence.

If a motorcycle gang is riding their motorcycles up and down the street between the legal noise ordinance hours, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do, as it infringes upon their first amendment rights.

I suggest you pick up a copy of the constitution and read it.
                      Last edited by Flux; 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        No state can infringe on the 14th amendment (section 1) which states - No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Which means I have the right to move anywhere I please and be self employed and no jurisdiction, township, or state can infringe upon those rights. Being self employed, I have the right to put up a safe structure by town code because it is business related.

I also have the right to pursuit life, liberty, and happiness which is in our Declaration of Independence.

If a motorcycle gang is riding their motorcycles up and down the street between the legal noise ordinance hours, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do, as it infringes upon their first amendment rights.

I suggest you pick up a copy of the constitution and read it.
                        Flux, CWS is not your enemy here. He stated the obvious, the probable basis for why those town ordinances were adopted. The Constitution is open to amendments, misinterpretations and flat out broken at times. I believe your immediate concerns , problems and resolutions are with the town. Local noise ordinace along with everything else that can be legislated and controled locally is just that, a local matter unless someone has the time, money and other resources to pursue a change. You are not the only person to be frustrated and hampered by local laws, but there is a smart way to handle this and a way that will leave you open to more problems. Myself and others here share your dilemna and at the same time want you to go about this in a manner that will prevent the locals with giving you more grief.
                        Where I live it is zoned residential, however there are exceptions. Years ago my wife opened a legal day care in our home and no one could say anything about clients dropping off or picking up their kids. I believe that rule applies to professionals such as doctors/dentists and perhaps... religious services! These are things to look into if you want to mess with the locals as a last resort. Do you know that a church does not have to be a special building, and no one can tell you when to hold services. You have to be prepared, one step ahead and smarter than the folks who oppose you.

Comment

Unfortunatley all I have to say is you should know better. "If you don't like our rules, don't some here." Alot of valid points brought up in this thread, blame the idiots before you who got out of control, and the neighbors who did not like florescent pink houses with the naked "Flux" men statues in the front yard, and the old fuddy duddies who want all of the houses to look exactly like theirs. Remember your first clubhouse? The sign on the door?? "NO GIRLZ ALLOWED!" Your clubhouse, your rules.

Unless you have your heart set on this home, bail on it and go someplace that you can tolerate.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Flux, CWS is not your enemy here. He stated the obvious, the probable basis for why those town ordinances were adopted. The Constitution is open to amendments, misinterpretations and flat out broken at times. I believe your immediate concerns , problems and resolutions are with the town. Local noise ordinace along with everything else that can be legislated and controled locally is just that, a local matter unless someone has the time, money and other resources to pursue a change. You are not the only person to be frustrated and hampered by local laws, but there is a smart way to handle this and a way that will leave you open to more problems. Myself and others here share your dilemna and at the same time want you to go about this in a manner that will prevent the locals with giving you more grief.
                            Where I live it is zoned residential, however there are exceptions. Years ago my wife opened a legal day care in our home and no one could say anything about clients dropping off or picking up their kids. I believe that rule applies to professionals such as doctors/dentists and perhaps... religious services! These are things to look into if you want to mess with the locals as a last resort. Do you know that a church does not have to be a special building, and no one can tell you when to hold services. You have to be prepared, one step ahead and smarter than the folks who oppose you.
                            I don't even know how the noise ordinance even got brought up in this discussion, but it's not an issue for me. The issue is, we allow these jurisdictions to flirt with infringing on our civil liberties granted to us by the United States Constitution and we as citizens just sit back and let these lawyers do it.

I have to be honest with you Frank, I could care less what my neighbors liked or disliked about my house and property if I'm fully within the law. I have a problem with the Elites thinking they have power to change and infringe upon our civil liberties...just because I'm the new guy on the block coming into their community. When people statements like "Rules are generally there for the good of the area and for the benefit of the people who have lived there long before you." something is seriously wrong with the process with people spewing crap like that. That's a perfect example of an elitist talking.

Your absolutely right, the Constitution IS open to amendments! If the people who are flirting with trying to change our Constitutional rights, to suit their personal needs, don't like the law of the land, they can lobby their lawmakers to try and add amendments to the Constitution. Jurisdictions are notorious for "preemption" and it's up to us to make sure the follow the law of the land that already on the books. If you would like Frank, I'll post US supreme court decisions made in the past, that back up what I'm saying.

The bottom line is, most people don't want to bother monitoring their own communities by going to township meetings and making sure they are following the letter of the law, and not infringing on our civil liberties.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                              Unfortunatley all I have to say is you should know better. "If you don't like our rules, don't some here." Alot of valid points brought up in this thread, blame the idiots before you who got out of control, and the neighbors who did not like florescent pink houses with the naked "Flux" men statues in the front yard, and the old fuddy duddies who want all of the houses to look exactly like theirs. Remember your first clubhouse? The sign on the door?? "NO GIRLZ ALLOWED!" Your clubhouse, your rules.

Unless you have your heart set on this home, bail on it and go someplace that you can tolerate.
                              Do you state an opinion, or are you basing this off of Constitutional law?

Comment

Working...
                              X