X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerators

We have to buy our own Refrigerator because the builder doesn't include one in the price of our house. Over the last few days, I've really knuckled down and scoured the internet for reviews on every single manufacture I could possibly think of. Every single manufacture has negative reviews, and some worse than others, when you consider some had massive class action law suits filed against them recently.

Does anyone here have any personal choices?

Anyone here do repair work on appliances, to let me know which manufacture to stay away from?

I'm almost ready to fill a cooler up with ice to store my food after reading days worth of negative reviews on all manufactures.

Re: Refrigerators

Stay away from Sears they aren't what they used to be and there costumer service sucks.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
      Stay away from Sears they aren't what they used to be and there costumer service sucks.
      lol..that seemed to be what everyone was complaining about in their reviews. I remember when I was a kid, Sears had a very strong name in appliances.

Comment

A quick search listed maytag, LG and Samsung at top, but I believe GE has several different appliance lines reflecting price and quality.
        I have a sixteen year old GE Proflie that I've been replacing parts on and hate the idea of getting a new one with the freezer draw on the bottom. My back can't take a freezer on the bottom! Whatever you decide on, see if you can find the price on some common replacement parts such as door gasket. Dam shame prices got so expensive and reliability so poor.

Comment

I'll second Will's comments on the Sears.

When we bought our first house in 1969, we bought a small 18 cu ft Sears frig. Believe it or not, we only replaced that a little over a year ago. As you can imagine, we had to replace a switch a couple of times (defrost timer) and the cheap little plastic tabs that hold the aluminum bars on the door storage broke off long ago. At the time we replaced it, it was in need of another defrost timer switch and we no longer had a local service company in Corning. The cost of service out of Elmira was such that we just decided to scrap it out. The repacement was a "Hotpoint" from Home Depot. It's really cheap, as it's only temporary for us with that house being visited only once or twice a month for upkeeping. (Sort of has become our "country cottage.")

Back about 15 years ago, we were going to replace it with a big expensive GE double-door. In fact we did, but after three days of non-stop "noise" we had them take that piece of junk back and continued using our very old, but significanly quieter 1969 Kenmore.

When I bought this house here in Binghamton six years ago, we remodeled the kitchen and we went through one helluva search for new appliances. At the time I sort of had a "bug" against buying anything Chinese so there went the LG that my wife wanted. After extended seaching, we once again bought Kenmore (the fridge is made by Maytag, we've been told).

It works well enough for sure, if you like your ice cream frozen as solid as a rock that is, and your peanut butter (fridge section) so hard that you need to leave it on the counter for a half hour or more. (We've got the thing on the lowest settings too.) There's lot's of gurgling and various other sounds, but none that we can't live with.

But the cheap plastic used in the interior is just prone to fracture. The slide-out glass shelves are nice, but the plastic framing is showing stress fractures... even though we don't put anything heavy on them or ever slide them in and out as you are supposed to be able to do. The door bins sit in position, but don't lock in place; so if you reach to lift out the milk jug or other similar container, the snug fitting bin will lift out with it and then crash to the floor, so you need both hands, one to grab the jug and the other to hold the bin in place. We've had those replaced twice, because when they fall, they severely crack.

The biggest annoyance however is this refrigerator sincerely "sucks"... and I mean that literally. You pop the top on a new milk or juice half-gallon container and until you use up at least a quarter of its contents the jug will "seep" out it's top, leaving crusted milk all around it's neck, and down the side of the jug and puddled in the storage bin. I've had three different techs look at this and they just scratch their ***; AND of course, there is no help at all directly from Sears or from Maytag. All I know is that every time you open a new container you have to wipe up the mess for several days.

Overall, Sears service is about as bad as it gets. They contract that out to the lowest bidder it seems, and from the installation of the dishwaser (the guy tried to extort more money out of us, "to set it up properly"), to the lying, cheating idiots who handle the maintenance and service contracts. They tell you one thing and deliver another, always much less than what was layed out in the "service contract".

While the fridge is a "story", the Kenmore range is almost equally as bad, from the uneven heat in the oven, to the "factory delivered" stains inside the glass on the oven door. We've already had to replace the timer, a burner, and an igniter and on the very rarely used dishwasher we've replaced the auto-shutoff valve.

Sears is no where near the company that it once was and seems to be only good at lies, deception, and empty apologies. Our dishwasher, fridge, and range are now about five years old and my wife wants them replaced as soon as we have the extra money to do so. Who knows what I'll replace them with... maybe something imported from China! (Like I'll have any other choice, when the time comes?)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            A quick search listed maytag, LG and Samsung at top, but I believe GE has several different appliance lines reflecting price and quality.
            I have a sixteen year old GE Proflie that I've been replacing parts on and hate the idea of getting a new one with the freezer draw on the bottom. My back can't take a freezer on the bottom! Whatever you decide on, see if you can find the price on some common replacement parts such as door gasket. Dam shame prices got so expensive and reliability so poor.
            My wife wants the french door fridge like you described, and I keep looking at this thing and saying "My back is going to hurt". The bottom freezer doesn't look that big at all, but I'm leaving it up to her with what she wants, once we nail down a manufacture.

Comment

Samsung, hands down. Here is why?

One of the fundamental flaws in all fridge design is that they rely on the cold air from the freezer to support cooling the fridge. Go to any appliance store and open up the floor model fridges and you will always find a vent slot between the two areas of fridge. This vent is operated by a mechanical door that is triggered open/closed. This is the most common failure point in fridges. My last Maytag, I replaced this vent twice.

Samsung, as far as I know is the only company that does not use this design. The Fridge and Freezer are separated using there own freeze.cooling coils and fans so they work independently of each other. We bought ours a few years back from Costco, and Consumer Reports at the time, along with a bunch of other reviews ranked the design as the best in the industry for fridges.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                I'll second Will's comments on the Sears.

When we bought our first house in 1969, we bought a small 18 cu ft Sears frig. Believe it or not, we only replaced that a little over a year ago. As you can imagine, we had to replace a switch a couple of times (defrost timer) and the cheap little plastic tabs that hold the aluminum bars on the door storage broke off long ago. At the time we replaced it, it was in need of another defrost timer switch and we no longer had a local service company in Corning. The cost of service out of Elmira was such that we just decided to scrap it out. The repacement was a "Hotpoint" from Home Depot. It's really cheap, as it's only temporary for us with that house being visited only once or twice a month for upkeeping. (Sort of has become our "country cottage.")

Back about 15 years ago, we were going to replace it with a big expensive GE double-door. In fact we did, but after three days of non-stop "noise" we had them take that piece of junk back and continued using our very old, but significanly quieter 1969 Kenmore.

When I bought this house here in Binghamton six years ago, we remodeled the kitchen and we went through one helluva search for new appliances. At the time I sort of had a "bug" against buying anything Chinese so there went the LG that my wife wanted. After extended seaching, we once again bought Kenmore (the fridge is made by Maytag, we've been told).

It works well enough for sure, if you like your ice cream frozen as solid as a rock that is, and your peanut butter (fridge section) so hard that you need to leave it on the counter for a half hour or more. (We've got the thing on the lowest settings too.) There's lot's of gurgling and various other sounds, but none that we can't live with.

But the cheap plastic used in the interior is just prone to fracture. The slide-out glass shelves are nice, but the plastic framing is showing stress fractures... even though we don't put anything heavy on them or ever slide them in and out as you are supposed to be able to do. The door bins sit in position, but don't lock in place; so if you reach to lift out the milk jug or other similar container, the snug fitting bin will lift out with it and then crash to the floor, so you need both hands, one to grab the jug and the other to hold the bin in place. We've had those replaced twice, because when they fall, they severely crack.

The biggest annoyance however is this refrigerator sincerely "sucks"... and I mean that literally. You pop the top on a new milk or juice half-gallon container and until you use up at least a quarter of its contents the jug will "seep" out it's top, leaving crusted milk all around it's neck, and down the side of the jug and puddled in the storage bin. I've had three different techs look at this and they just scratch their ***; AND of course, there is no help at all directly from Sears or from Maytag. All I know is that every time you open a new container you have to wipe up the mess for several days.

Overall, Sears service is about as bad as it gets. They contract that out to the lowest bidder it seems, and from the installation of the dishwaser (the guy tried to extort more money out of us, "to set it up properly"), to the lying, cheating idiots who handle the maintenance and service contracts. They tell you one thing and deliver another, always much less than what was layed out in the "service contract".

While the fridge is a "story", the Kenmore range is almost equally as bad, from the uneven heat in the oven, to the "factory delivered" stains inside the glass on the oven door. We've already had to replace the timer, a burner, and an igniter and on the very rarely used dishwasher we've replaced the auto-shutoff valve.

Sears is no where near the company that it once was and seems to be only good at lies, deception, and empty apologies. Our dishwasher, fridge, and range are now about five years old and my wife wants them replaced as soon as we have the extra money to do so. Who knows what I'll replace them with... maybe something imported from China! (Like I'll have any other choice, when the time comes?)

CWS
                Samsung got murdered in reviews on brittle shelves. I did kind of like the LG fridges, but they haven't been making them long enough to really have a long history. I agree with you on the Chinese crap (well Korean for LG) as I would like to stay American made, but I have no idea what American company makes Fridges except Viking?

The one cool feature with the LG that I liked was...if you have customer support on the phone, they will tell you to put your phone up to this spot on the fridge, and they can tell what's wrong with it. I'm not sure how well that works, but the idea was kind of neat.

Again, it's a shame about Sears, cause they made some really good stuff back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                  Samsung, hands down. Here is why?

One of the fundamental flaws in all fridge design is that they rely on the cold air from the freezer to support cooling the fridge. Go to any appliance store and open up the floor model fridges and you will always find a vent slot between the two areas of fridge. This vent is operated by a mechanical door that is triggered open/closed. This is the most common failure point in fridges. My last Maytag, I replaced this vent twice.

Samsung, as far as I know is the only company that does not use this design. The Fridge and Freezer are separated using there own freeze.cooling coils and fans so they work independently of each other. We bought ours a few years back from Costco, and Consumer Reports at the time, along with a bunch of other reviews ranked the design as the best in the industry for fridges.
                  What about the shelves? How are they holding up for you guys? I read stories of shelves literally breaking into a thousand pieces with some of these online reviews. The one Samsung we saw last night, actually had a computer screen on the front door for all kinds of things. Kind of neat, but then again...what does that cost to get fixed...you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    What about the shelves? How are they holding up for you guys? I read stories of shelves literally breaking into a thousand pieces with some of these online reviews. The one Samsung we saw last night, actually had a computer screen on the front door for all kinds of things. Kind of neat, but then again...what does that cost to get fixed...you know?
                    We have had ours now for about four-five years. The main shelves in the fridge portion are glass. Our unit has one cheese meat drawer and two lower veggie drawers. The door itself has four adjustable shelves. We have never had a problem with anything plastic breaking, and our fridge gets a lot of daily use. The freezer side is stuffed to the gills, and I have never had an issue with it freezing up, frost, etc... Our unit is a side by side it that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      My wife wants the french door fridge like you described, and I keep looking at this thing and saying "My back is going to hurt". The bottom freezer doesn't look that big at all, but I'm leaving it up to her with what she wants, once we nail down a manufacture.
                      My wife is 5'2" and shrinking, so she's close to the floor to access that bottom freezer. I'm 5'10" and my back hurts constantly. Imagine five years from now when you've beaten the heck out of your body, your back is killing you and you want something out of that bottom draw freezer? There is a reason normal refrigerators have the fruit and vegetable draw on the bottom, they were designed for American women and American men! Not five foot tall ... I'm not gonna say it! Good night.

Comment

Make sure that you stay away from box stores and major chains. We bought our applainces from a local applaice store, and their customer service is superb. Our washing machine leaked, and they sent a repair guy to fix it at no charge, even after the warranty was over. Said if it leaked again, they would replace the whole unit at no charge.

I will never buy anything at sears that has moving parts. Their warranty is a complete joke. My neighbour bought a washing machine from sears, and it leaked. He waited over 4 WEEKS for a service call, and the guy called on the day he was supposed to show and cancelled on them. Who can go for weeks without a washing machine?!?! He fought with them to give him a loaner, or even a rental, but they said basically said "tough luck". What kind of service is that?

BTW, our fridge is a whirlpool gold, and we really like it. Our friends bought a samsung, and the ice maker leaked in the first few days. Think its okay now, though.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Whirlpool made the majority of Sears appliances. That said I wouldn't touch anything Whirlpool makes today.

The best fridges I found lately are the cheap Hotpoints. I'm not a big fan of side by sides , did you ever try replacing a defrost heater in one? If you're 12" across the shoulders it's easy.

The best refrigerators are the ones with the least amount of bells and whistles. Hell, you don't drive them to town. Who cares what the look like as long as they keep food from prematurely spoiling.

Comment

Keep in mind people, a lot of manufacturers have been trying to cut as many corners as possible to get awarded the "Energy Star" rating in order to better market their appliances. It's a shame too, they have the technology, manpower, and simple know-how to make better equipment, if there were people out there that would spend the scratch to buy it.

Still,
                            In case you people are wondering where all the high quality US made appliances went:
                            Overseas

You won't find any "Energy Star" label on these monsters. These God damn things are almost indestructible, and with 12,000 KW heating load, plus 26 amp load for the A/C (For just one! Where I'm at, there are dozens!), this beast is guaranteed to spin the meter right off the side of anyone's house and melt the siding in the process! Once turned on, they are usually never turned off!

Note to self: Buy stock in the company that makes the motors for these things.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              Keep in mind people, a lot of manufacturers have been trying to cut as many corners as possible to get awarded the "Energy Star" rating in order to better market their appliances. It's a shame too, they have the technology, manpower, and simple know-how to make better equipment, if there were people out there that would spend the scratch to buy it.
                              The E.P.A. sure has it's hands all over this one as well. That's why I'm going with Speed Queen's for my washer and dryer, before the E.P.A. outlaws top loaders.

Comment

Working...
                              X