rusted bolt, no problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rusted bolt, no problem

So, over the years, I as well as every human being, has at one time struggled with a rusted bolt/nut. Well, a few years ago I broke off a titanium tap in an engine block I was bottom tapping for head studs. Drilling it out was going to happen, and milling it out would have required the removal of the engine from my truck, which was $$$. I tried a tap extraction tool with out luck. So obviously heat wouldn't work as I didn't need to expand the metal. So, I took a canister of a-134 ac coolent with oil additive for automotive ac units. Cut the connector of the end of the connected hose and attached a needle air tip (the type for blowing up sport balls). I then placed the needle into one of the slots of the tap and pressed the button and cooled it to the point it started frosting the metal around the hole. With almost no effort, the tap came right out.

Fast forward to today. One of my wheel bearings on my truck decided to grenade yesterday and the outer shaft nut on the bearing would not budge. I tried penetrating oil, and heat, and broke my 3/4" breaker bar. I remembered the coolent idea and figured why not. I heated the nut with a torch, then hit the stub shaft in the center of the nut with the coolent. With my Ridgid cordless impact, the nut came off! I am guessing the quick change in temp loosened the grip, but I also think that it pulls the oil into the threads, almost like rosin and solder.

Any, hope this helps someone else some day.

Re: rusted bolt, no problem

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    So, over the years, I as well as every human being, has at one time struggled with a rusted bolt/nut. Well, a few years ago I broke off a titanium tap in an engine block I was bottom tapping for head studs. Drilling it out was going to happen, and milling it out would have required the removal of the engine from my truck, which was $$$. I tried a tap extraction tool with out luck. So obviously heat wouldn't work as I didn't need to expand the metal. So, I took a canister of a-134 ac coolent with oil additive for automotive ac units. Cut the connector of the end of the connected hose and attached a needle air tip (the type for blowing up sport balls). I then placed the needle into one of the slots of the tap and pressed the button and cooled it to the point it started frosting the metal around the hole. With almost no effort, the tap came right out.

Fast forward to today. One of my wheel bearings on my truck decided to grenade yesterday and the outer shaft nut on the bearing would not budge. I tried penetrating oil, and heat, and broke my 3/4" breaker bar. I remembered the coolent idea and figured why not. I heated the nut with a torch, then hit the stub shaft in the center of the nut with the coolent. With my Ridgid cordless impact, the nut came off! I am guessing the quick change in temp loosened the grip, but I also think that it pulls the oil into the threads, almost like rosin and solder.

Any, hope this helps someone else some day.
    You're a good man Alphacowboy! Here I was feeling like a hero for changing three of the six sparkplugs on my daughters 97 Explorer. Took me almost two hours just for them three and they were the easy ones. The other side is a nightmare so I talked to my mechanic, he will do it on friday. The engineers who decided to block the sparkplugs from any reasonble access should be made to work on them. My hats off to your ingenuity. Frank

Comment

Great tip, Her's 2 more. Stubborn bolts won't loosen ? Tighten it More, then it will release. Broken bolt? I weld on another bolt on the stud. Hope this helps some one.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks for the compliments Frank!

Comment

If heating expands, then doesn't cooling contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            If heating expands, then doesn't cooling contract?
            Yup, so, by heating the nut, and cooling the bolt, the bolt theoretically shrinks....

Comment

Working...
            X