X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid, I have a proposal...

Ok, let's just admit it, your free batteries for life is killing you... It has to be, no kidding anyone. To help with this, I propose you help both the consumer and yourselves by adapting a new battery policy. Personally, I wish I could just go to Home Depot and exchange the batteries there, no questions asked. Having to send off an entire kit to warranty a battery is complete bull and you know it.

So, here is my idea. For those products already locked into the free batteries for life contract, it obviously can't be broken for legal issues. But, why not offer a battery upgrade promotion? You bring in your old ni-cad batteries and exchange them for the new lithium batteries at a substantial discount. One, the batteries would no longer be lifetime warrantied, the buyer would need to buy a multi-chemistry charger and would be a win win for all those involved. If you (Ridgid) could make a deal with home depot on a on going exclusive battery exchange program, you could kill the competition. Yeah, free batteries are cool, but discounted "upgrades" are cooler in my opinion.

Re: Ridgid, I have a proposal...

I like the concept:
    pro-rated pricing on battery exchanges

first three years no charge except if you upgrade to a better battery, then a slight fee.
    After 5 years prorated x % per year, and after 7 years nothing, go buy a new battery you cheap Bastard.

Also get rid of the paperwork and bureaucracy!!! Use the serial number on the battery as "proof"

What else is a serial number good for? A serial number gives the manufacturer a production date code,
    factory assembly code, etc..thus they can then determine when the battery was made!

If home Depot marketed Ridgid tools more aggressively maybe many folks would then bypass E-bay
    For a product licensed by Ridgid primarily to be marketed by Home Depot they sure have missed the boat!
    I see Ryobi and Dewalt tools as the big products Home Depot pushes and "oh, by the way, we also have a
    Ridgid tool kit"!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

Great idea! If you decide to run for President you got my vote. If Ridgid goes for it please try pushing for the heavy duty 1/2inch impact. Frank

Comment

Great idea doing the battery exchange at HD. I like it and i think it would swing many people over to Ridgid cordless tools.

Can you go back and add a poll to this thread? Then we could easily show Ridgid how much interest there is in this improvement in their battery program.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Great idea doing the battery exchange at HD. I like it and i think it would swing many people over to Ridgid cordless tools.

Can you go back and add a poll to this thread? Then we could easily show Ridgid how much interest there is in this improvement in their battery program.
          Bob, it's worth a try but I don't think Ridgid listens. My home depot has tow cordless heavy duty impact wrenches, DeWalt and Ryobi. Why no Ridgid? Why offer such a limited cordless tool brand even if the battery is great and there's a LSA? I continue to think the Ridgid brand falls short of beating the competition, that's if there really is competition? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            ... Having to send off an entire kit to warranty a battery is complete bull and you know it.
            Complete bull? No, it's not.
            I am a tech in a Ridgid ASC and a former employee of TTI's (and formerly Atlas Copco's) Milwaukee division, and I've been doing this for far more years than I care to admit.
            FAR more often than you would imagine, a customer brings in a battery for exchange... and the battery is NOT the issue. We absolutely cannot depend on the typical customer to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the battery is why his tool doesn't work. We replace many chargers, motors, switches etc. under warranty. Maybe YOU have the smarts to narrow it down to a bad battery. If so, you're the exception, not the rule.

Just sayin'.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I also think that would be a great marketing tool that would draw many, many more people to the RIDGID market. Every time I pass through the Battery isle, I cringe when I look at the price of replacing a battery for any of my cordless tools and I'm not even in the Trades. To think of all the batteries that are bought in a year at those high costs and knowing that the old ones are either recycled (with no benefit to you), discarded in such a way as to be not environmentally friendly (no one's benefit), or just gathering dust being put aside ( again, no one's benefit, plus, again, no benefit to you with using up valuable shop space). It seems like such a waste.

We all pretty much know that of all of these "Bad Batteries" have reusable components that RIDGID could recycle themselves. In fact, the case could very well be that most of the batteries that are replaced only have a minor problem which in turn could be repaired and resold as a re-manufactured battery by RIDGID.

Now, to not only be the first to offer this kind of battery exchange before it's competitors, gaining a larger piece of the market share pie, they have a major vehicle (Home Depot) to draw new interest to their products.

I definitely know that if it weren't that I was already a RIDGID customer, I would be a little more (probably a lot) temped to go RIDGID with already knowing about the LSA program, but now with a way to get a $$ return on my used up batteries, because we all know that in the majority amount of times, the tool outlasts the battery, I'm jumping ship and joining the RIDGID crowd.

Long story short, marvelous idea. Just my 2¢.

Ron

Comment

Cowboy & Doctor: You both offer different perspectives to the problem. Consumers are faced with the prolonged loss of their tools in order to have the warrantee honored, and the folks who do the work often find problems outside of the batteries. I think there still needs to be a better system to accomodate the consumer, and repair facility. I have spoken to some folks who do Ridgid warrantee work and they were not happy. Now if both consumer and those doing the reapir work have complaints, perhaps the process needs improvement?
                Does remind me of a problem I had with my wife's old six cylinder 1981 mustang. Changed a couple starters that I thought were defective until the guy at the parts shop hit one with jumper cables and it worked just fine. Turns out I had a few teeth missing off the flywheel While there are learned consumers such as Alphacowboy, there are a lot who are clueless. Frank

Comment

Doctor... It's complete bull when one like me has 10 chargers, 8 18v drills and 10 batteries. If one battery is dead, but the remainder all work flawlessly, and I have to send in a charger and drill...

Comment

Like I said, you're the exception, not the rule.
                    We, at the ASCs, still have to operate on the assumption that you simply don't know.

If TTI provided proper charge/discharge analyzers to the Ridgid ASCs for proper battery testing it would be a non-issue. Hell, if TTI even MADE a charge/discharge analyzer for Ridgid batteries...
                    But they don't.
                    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Hell build them into the chargers There are other manufacturers that have built in battery charge gauges/analyzers arent there
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Sorry, can't seem to add a poll. I'll make a new thread in a couple days. (to busy right now, and would be a pain to setup via my mobile.

Comment

Working...
                        X