Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I Can Say Is................AMAZING!!!!!

Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: All I Can Say Is................AMAZING!!!!!

I see a change of skivvies in his near future!

Comment

Now that's a plane with some excellent power... as the pilot sort of brought that in almost as a helicopter. (Note the that he was using the engine/prop system to offset the loss of lift from the missing wing. ) Damn, that guy definitely was one with his airplane, a true master.

On the other hand, I imagine his airframe mechanic and whoever the FAA certified airframe inspector was, has some concerns.

Reminds me of the old "On a wing and a prayer".

CWS

Comment

Now that is a pilot who kept his coo0l.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry to be a buzz kill...
          snopes.com: One Wing Plane Landing

But this my friends is real!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            Sorry to be a buzz kill...
            snopes.com: One Wing Plane Landing

Yeah yeah, that's what I meant, a totally amazing example of a digitally manipulated viral video.

That little bear from down under may hate Quantis but I hate Snopes. There are just some times when the truth just doesn't matter.
            Last edited by BadgerDave; 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Darn!
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm speechless

Comment

Hey, I watched that video several times and I can see where there might well be a cut-in with possibly a model airplane, the shot of the stall and wing-over and drop to the landing gear just seems all to real... though unbelievably skilled.

The Snopes article only alludes to the company, some cross-references to link the people and of course the possible model airplane intrusion... but I still have got to believe that those last few moments of the video are all too real, to be manipulated. I've had a lot of experience with photo and digital retouching and of course I could very well be fooled here, but I don't see the normal earmarks of manipulation in that actual roll-over stall and touch down.

CWS

Comment

Alphacowboy,

Now that is amazing, that a plane with that kind of damage managed to survive. But, let's not forget the difference between a small stunt plane and an F15. The latter, and almost all modern fighter aircraft, has so much electronic control that is designed specifically to stabilize the craft in almost any condition, including damage to a certain percentage of it's lift surfaces. That of course doesn't take away from any of the pilot's skills, or his supreme abilities to understand the tools and other dynamics that can be brought into action. While the airplane can't fly itself, the electronic systems (and their backup systems) go a very long way to stabilize the craft and help bring her home. I have read that planes like the F117 are so unstable in flight that if it were not for the electronic stabilization systems, even a highly skilled pilot would not be able to keep them in the air.

The small performance stunt plane has practically no electronics and all of it's stability is dependant on it's totally-intact air frame design. Damage that, and the thing will simple come down. That pilot has got to know his craft in great detail and have tremendous experience under some pretty dynamic challenging conditions to carry out most "stunt" performances. There are no back-up systems in these little lightweight craft and probably nothing more than the very basics of flight instrumentation. (They're not designed for cross-country and probably have no navigation intrumention at all beyond a flight compass.) The power plant is most crucial and extremely powerful considering the extreme lightweight design of the airframe (power to weight ratio)... but the airframe must be designed to handle much higher "G-forces" than the typical private airplane. Probably on or near a comparitive level with the modern fighter aircraft. Such design could very well make such an aircraft stand on its tail and literally hang off it's propeller... if in the hands of a highly skilled and well experienced pilot.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM. Reason: grammer and spelling errors

Comment

Cws, you are very correct... It still amazes me that the f15 pilot thought to fire the afterburner to stabilize the jet, something most of us would think is q crazy idea.

Comment

My flying skills never got to the final solo phase (no money and no potential of ever having enough money to afford such a hobby), but the interest and envy has never gone away!

But, I look at things like the F15 video and imagine myself there and pretty much know that my very first concern would have been if the ejection seat was still in working order, because I just crapped all over it!

CWS

Comment

Working...
                        X