X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heard of Meat Glue?

What about when they claim extra lean ground beef and your left with a pan full of oil... I bought a meat grinder, got it on sale at Canadian Tire and I now always make my own hamburger and ground meats. I only buy large cuts of meat, trim the fat and grind it myself. Once after I took all the left over fat and ran it through the grinder, morbid curiosity got the better of me and I made it into a patty and grilled it alongside the lean patties, I assumed it would be reduced to nothing as the fat drained away but I was amazed at how well it stayed together and even though it did loose a lot of oil it was about 3/4 the size of when I started . When I cut it I couldn't tell much of a difference between it and the healthier patties but I have no doubt the fat content was extremely high. It got me wondering what we are eating even when the stores claim the meat is extra lean...

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
      What about when they claim extra lean ground beef and your left with a pan full of oil... I bought a meat grinder, got it on sale at Canadian Tire and I now always make my own hamburger and ground meats. I only buy large cuts of meat, trim the fat and grind it myself. Once after I took all the left over fat and ran it through the grinder, morbid curiosity got the better of me and I made it into a patty and grilled it alongside the lean patties, I assumed it would be reduced to nothing as the fat drained away but I was amazed at how well it stayed together and even though it did loose a lot of oil it was about 3/4 the size of when I started . When I cut it I couldn't tell much of a difference between it and the healthier patties but I have no doubt the fat content was extremely high. It got me wondering what we are eating even when the stores claim the meat is extra lean...
      My morbid curiosity wants to know how the fat patty tasted

Comment

Comment

For what it is worth,

Ground Beef Labels and Fat Content
          Ground Beef Labels
          The label on ground beef tells the fat content
          By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide
          .See More About:ground beef recipescasserole recipeshow to cook meat
          Ground Beef - Beef Mince
          © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge FilipponeAds
          Ground Beef Labels
          Keep in mind that these guidelines are according to United States standards. Variations will occur in other countries.

Ground hamburger: Ground from less tender and/or less popular cuts of beef. Generally the butcher reserves trimmings from other meat cuts (excluding innards) to grind into hamburger and ground beef. This means in theory there could be pieces of sirloin, chuck, ribs, or even filet mignon in that package of hamburger. According to USDA standards, hamburger may have fat added, but cannot contain more than 30% fat by weight.

Ground beef: Basically the same as ground hamburger but it cannot have added fat. It cannot contain more than 30% fat by weight.

Specialty ground beef: If the label says it's ground sirloin or ground chuck, then those are the only parts included in the grind. These grinds are typically more expensive and leaner than the all-inclusive ground beef or hamburger. However, buyer beware. Ground sirloin or ground round can conceivably be no leaner than inexpensive ground beef, yet still be properly labeled as long as it doesn't claim to be lean. Don't depend on the cut to define leanness. The following percentages are used as a guideline for specific cuts:
          •Ground chuck : 80 to 85 percent lean / 15 to 20 percent fat
          •Ground round : 85 to 90 percent lean / 10 to 15 percent fat
          •Ground sirloin : 90 to 92 percent lean / 8 to 10 percent fat
          Lean ground beef: Must meet the requirements of ground beef but may not contain more than 22 percent fat.

Extra-lean ground beef: Must meet the requirements of ground beef but may not contain more than 15 percent fat.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/h...s-1170742.html
          The Center for Science in the Public Interest asserts that use of the term "lean" as in "80 percent lean" ground beef misleads consumers into thinking the product is lower in fat than it really is. The group contends the label should just state "20 percent fat" for what is, in fact, one of the fattiest meats on the market.

"Use of the word 'lean' in the context of ground beef is designed to deceive, "says CSPI Executive Director Michael Jacobson. "The meat industry has insisted on labeling ground meat that way to make ground beef appear leaner."

CSPI also says that allowing the information on signs or some other way for popular cuts won't be that helpful because they will state nutrition information for a 4-ounce serving. The steaks many Americans consumer weight two, three or four times that.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Those cows are just so damn tastey!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
            X