• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard of Meat Glue?

Neat trick, this is from Australia, if you live there you should see this

The news source may be a bit dodgy but it is on Snopes as well

Re: Heard of Meat Glue?

the meat is no more dangerous than hamburger,

and to my understanding most likely any Pre formed pattys and nuggets is most likely "meat glued".
    and most likely much of the prepackaged stuff is done the same way, (or value added products).

here is a place to buy it Transglutaminase (Meat Glue)

I my self have never used it,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I trust BHD knows what he is talking about regarding safety, but at the same time I would like to know what I'm buying. I like to cook my beef on the rare side which is probably risky, and I would avoid glued meat if like the video suggested it contains higher bacteria levels.

Comment

that is one of the reasons I limit my "dining out" and raise my own, from birth to the plate. Farm raised beef with no hormones or antibiotics has a much different taste than the feed lot meats you are buying.

I agree with ya BHD, we are being served or buying stuff that we have no idea of what is in it or how it is produced let alone processed.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post

Has anyone every looked at a single slice of Arby's beef.
          Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
            that is one of the reasons I limit my "dining out" and raise my own, from birth to the plate. Farm raised beef with no hormones or antibiotics has a much different taste than the feed lot meats you are buying.

I agree with ya BHD, we are being served or buying stuff that we have no idea of what is in it or how it is produced let alone processed.
            But do you kill and cut it yourself? We have raised a lot of our own beef and still buy our beef from our neighbor who holds back a few steers now and then to sell to neigbors and friends on the hoof, but we take it to a butcher to have it killed, hung, and then cut and wrapped. .............Rumor has it.......... that the butcher during his really busy times just subs any beef pound for pound of the hanging weight of your beef, just to run orders through quicker. I really don't believe it, but that's what some claim...........So if you don't cut your own you still really don't know what you're getting unless you stick by that animal until it's wrapped in freezer paper.

Comment

The butcher could do that to me, but I trust him. Have been using him for years and never had the idea of swapped beef or shorted on beef. I take him anywhere from 5 to 20 head a year. Now on the other hand, there are a couple of other local butchers I would not trust with a road kill dog.

Get rid of he freezer paper and use vacuum packaging, you will never go back.

Comment

we do our own beef,
                I set up a room in the back of the barn with cooler and freezer and a nice area to work in a number of years ago, and I am reasonably sure we get our own beef back,
                Attached Files
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  we do our own beef,
                  I set up a room in the back of the barn with cooler and freezer and a nice area to work in a number of years ago, and I am reasonably sure we get our own beef back,
                  Nice set up, I'm curisous how long it would take to process one of those hanging pieces? Do you tackle a big piece at a time, or just what you need as it ages? Thanks. Frank

Comment

I cut it all up and freeze it

I am not the fastest, but I can cut it up, clean up the bones, (which I think is the slowest part of the process many times,), and wrap it, in about 4 to 6 hrs, if working by my self,

the problem I have is usually if I have some one that helps, they so green as it is more conversation talk and help on the boredom than in getting done a lot faster, but I usually hardly ever turn away help,

I have a large grinder, I pickup cheap, and can grind up a deboned cow in less time than what it takes to clean it up, but I can do a double grind on 200 pounds of meat in about 10 mins, ( I was very fortunate in that I ran into a deal with the grinder, a professorial meat saw, a splitting saw, and a lot of miscellaneous, for a $500 bill, I did have to work on the grinder and replace a bearing, and some parts on the band saw and rebuild the splitting saw, but for under $1000 bill I ended up with some very good equipment the walk in cooler again was lucky, got it for $35, but it was in rough shape, and needed the roof of it rebuilt, (the freezer cost me more, it started out good but ended up needing a new evaporator).

It takes me about 3 hrs to kill, gut and skin, and clean up, (usually clean up before hand as well), currently I do not have a pen and a kill chute), so I usually have to put it down and bleed it out and then move it with the tractor and loader to the floor where I skin and gut,
                    the saluter floor is out side, but I have a rail that I can put the quarter on and roll them in the meat room and into the cooler, and have a chain hoist on a I beam to lift the critter with,

put it in the cooler and usually let it age a week to 10 days, then start working on it, (I have the rail and the cutting table so I can slide the cutting table under the rail and not lose control the quarter if I am working by my self, usually I will split a quarter in some way and rehang part of it while I am working on some of it, I use fast foot type serving trays to lay out the cuts on and put back in the cooler while cutting them up and when a tray is full I put it in the cooler until wrapping, and then in to the freezer, (the freezer is not a "flash" freezer), but since there is fans and the trays are not full, and air is circulation all around the package most will freeze solid in about 4 to 6 hrs, where if packed in a chest freezer it may be 2 weeks before the center of it the stack of meat is froze, over night in the walk in and it is ready to go into a deep freezer,

I usually grind the hamburger last, and I made a sausage stuffer, that holds about 33 pounds of ground meat, and usually stuff the hamburger in to 1 or 2 pound plastic tubes, and freeze them,

on older animals or some of the tougher cuts I will run though a tenderizer, and make chicken fry out of it, or some use for minuet steaks,

we have made sausage and hams bacon, as well, I want to put in a smoker, just need do it,

I have a friend who ran the local locker plant for many years, and he was gracious enough to come out and help me a few times so I had some idea and also loaned me his meat cutting hand book he had when he went to a meat cutting school,
                    (so basically a self taught butcher, but I have had some true professional meat cutters that have guided me over the years). literary watching the guy who taught me cut meat he looks like one of the Japanese chefs, he has the basic cuts in just a few mins, and has things cut up in just mins, amazing,

now days via you tube, there are some very good videos on slaughtering and cutting up meats.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice set up you got there, I am seriously thinking of moving in that direction myself.

Good looking marbled beef you got on the butcher block for sure

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        I cut it all up and freeze it

I am not the fastest, but I can cut it up, clean up the bones, (which I think is the slowest part of the process many times,), and wrap it, in about 4 to 6 hrs, if working by my self,

the problem I have is usually if I have some one that helps, they so green as it is more conversation talk and help on the boredom than in getting done a lot faster, but I usually hardly ever turn away help,

I have a large grinder, I pickup cheap, and can grind up a deboned cow in less time than what it takes to clean it up, but I can do a double grind on 200 pounds of meat in about 10 mins, ( I was very fortunate in that I ran into a deal with the grinder, a professorial meat saw, a splitting saw, and a lot of miscellaneous, for a $500 bill, I did have to work on the grinder and replace a bearing, and some parts on the band saw and rebuild the splitting saw, but for under $1000 bill I ended up with some very good equipment the walk in cooler again was lucky, got it for $35, but it was in rough shape, and needed the roof of it rebuilt, (the freezer cost me more, it started out good but ended up needing a new evaporator).

It takes me about 3 hrs to kill, gut and skin, and clean up, (usually clean up before hand as well), currently I do not have a pen and a kill chute), so I usually have to put it down and bleed it out and then move it with the tractor and loader to the floor where I skin and gut,
                        the saluter floor is out side, but I have a rail that I can put the quarter on and roll them in the meat room and into the cooler, and have a chain hoist on a I beam to lift the critter with,

put it in the cooler and usually let it age a week to 10 days, then start working on it, (I have the rail and the cutting table so I can slide the cutting table under the rail and not lose control the quarter if I am working by my self, usually I will split a quarter in some way and rehang part of it while I am working on some of it, I use fast foot type serving trays to lay out the cuts on and put back in the cooler while cutting them up and when a tray is full I put it in the cooler until wrapping, and then in to the freezer, (the freezer is not a "flash" freezer), but since there is fans and the trays are not full, and air is circulation all around the package most will freeze solid in about 4 to 6 hrs, where if packed in a chest freezer it may be 2 weeks before the center of it the stack of meat is froze, over night in the walk in and it is ready to go into a deep freezer,

I usually grind the hamburger last, and I made a sausage stuffer, that holds about 33 pounds of ground meat, and usually stuff the hamburger in to 1 or 2 pound plastic tubes, and freeze them,

on older animals or some of the tougher cuts I will run though a tenderizer, and make chicken fry out of it, or some use for minuet steaks,

we have made sausage and hams bacon, as well, I want to put in a smoker, just need do it,

I have a friend who ran the local locker plant for many years, and he was gracious enough to come out and help me a few times so I had some idea and also loaned me his meat cutting hand book he had when he went to a meat cutting school,
                        (so basically a self taught butcher, but I have had some true professional meat cutters that have guided me over the years). literary watching the guy who taught me cut meat he looks like one of the Japanese chefs, he has the basic cuts in just a few mins, and has things cut up in just mins, amazing,

now days via you tube, there are some very good videos on slaughtering and cutting up meats.
                        Thank you for the detailed post. When I thought of the weight and size of the animal I figured it had to be a lot of work even with the hoist and processing machines. Must feel rewarding to have such skill and independence. Just reading your post had my stomach growling and mouth watering, I can't imagine having that much good quality and variety of meat on hand. Thanks again. Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post

What you haven`t heard of meat glue where have you been I like my beef glued with araldite the two parter it gives the meat that mature taste when grilled and helps to keep the weight done as you do a lot yodeling after wards

Tony

Comment

Great Article, I had no idea and I have worked with the restaurant industry for over thirty years and I never heard a Food Service Director or Exec. Chef ever mention this too me. Certainly something I will ask around about.

After watching the video I actually got a chuckle. If they do this in the states, just wait until the Muslims find out! Its going to make the Tobacco Industry lawsuits look like a bake sale for the Girls Scouts. I remember back about fifteen years ago when the Muslims found out that Mickey D's was using beef flavoring in there French fry oil. Mickey D's paid dearly for that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                              After watching the video I actually got a chuckle. If they do this in the states, just wait until the Muslims find out!
                              that was my first thought also when they mentioned that on the video.

I had a young helper one time that I thought was a muslim but said he was not, got him to eating beef jerky one day, he loved it!! Then he aked if it was cooked and how it was prepared, I just giggled a little and told him it was raw dehydrated meat, never saw him again, still owe him a paycheck too.

Comment

Working...
                              X