Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Families, where would we be without them?

I have a friend who has been through some hard times. He and his wife raised their children is a relatively safe area in a metropolitan area. After the kids were out of the house they moved to a one horse town and opened a small store. Life was great until his wife found other romantic interests and left him. After she left he pretty much fell apart and lost his business. He ended up living in a travel trailer in our RV Park and working as a caretaker.

For some reason he ended up with a fascination with the Disney movie "Cars". Soon he started collecting everything "Cars" he could find. Now half of his trailer is full of "Cars" memorabilia. He started to get out a little and riding his quad up the canyon. Then he got into photography and took some beautiful pictures which he shared with everyone.
    Attached Files
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Families, where would we be without them?

Because of his time spent on his quad, Polaris sent him a quad to test. In addition, he found a tire company to give him new tires and wheels to go with the quad.
    Attached Files

Comment

We saw him making major improvements so we sent him off to water treatment classes to get a water operators certificate. He earned his certificate and we put him to work in our water system. He is doing a great job and I am able to run the water company from 600-miles away based on the photos he sends me.

Comment

Then the Big "C" hit. They found Melanoma behind his ear which was going to require surgery. His adult children built a support system almost over night. Doctors were contacted and appointments were made. Cancer is horribly destructive and I have lost too many friends to it. He went in and had his surgery and we are all hoping he will be found to be cancer free soon.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

He is back to work now but his family is attending to his every need. On his own I know he would have just given up. Even though all of his family is 200-miles away, every weekend he either travels up there or they travel to him. Last week he called to say the water system was having pressure problems. On Sunday I walked him through some test and determined where the leak was. He told me he had scheduled family portraits later that day but would stay to fix the leak. I told him to isolate the two homes and advise the owners he would be gone for a few days.

He went to see his family and they had their family portrait taken. I did not say anything but I have seen this happen so many times and I am worried he wont be around for the next family portrait. When he got back he called to thank me for sending him for their family portrait. He told me how much he loved them and that he did not know where he would be without them.

The canyons are now full of snow so it is pretty tough to use the quad. However, the local town just started a new program with their new snow cat. He now spends his off hours grooming trails for the new snowmobile program. I am looking forward to the photos he takes.

I have been in a similar position as my friend and without the support of my family I know I would not have made it.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-24-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that. This is the time of year when people are supposed to be happy so it's nice to hear that sometimes even when things aren't going the way we would like them to there is still room for some joy in life itself. The love of family and for family is all important.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Mark, that was a nice story to share and your generosity embodies the spirit of Christmas and friendship. I hope your friend has a full recovery and years to enjoy, however if that is not his fate he was blessed to have you and caring family in his life. My daughters are home from college and my wife and I have been preparing for a big meal I will be cooking tommorow night. My Mom and my wife's sisters and children will join us. There is one sister who is a trouble maker and unfortunately sometimes it only takes one person to upset an otherwise enjoyable gathering. I will do my best to not fuel any dysfunction and wish all here a Christmas free from drama and upset. All I want for the holidays is good health and happy times, presents under the tree don't mean nearly as much these days. Frank

Comment

Working...
              X