X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate to Ask

I was watching some YouTube and came across this video, is it possible?

Re: I Hate to Ask

according to the standard accepted principles of physics that are accepted, by the science world, the answer is NO.

but I have seen these type of things out there, and have heard of them for years, at various times, take Tesla for example, he did things that are not and have not been duplicated by "modern science", but they were documented, (years ago I saw a machine similar on the Johny Carson show, and at the same time, the same guy that was on the Johny Carson show, I had heard at length on a radio talk show,

I was looking through some U tube and other videos, and I have to wonder if we know as much as we think we do, and if there is not a lot more out there to "discover".

YOU may think I am a nut for saying this, but if you think "UFOS" are a real item, There is more to Physics than we currently understand, (we have not come up with machines to fly the way they do, or under stand the physics that make it work),
    and we do not have inter star travel,

our first space craft is now just leaving the system that was launched in 1977,
    It is about to become the first man-made object to leave the Solar System, although NASA expects it to take between several months and years before it completely enters interstellar space. Voyager 2 will follow later.
    Nasa's Voyager 1 in 'cosmic purgatory' on verge of entering Milky Way - Telegraph
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

No, but then again he did say is was a modified generator that now puts out 200 times more power.
      Awesome a 580 KW genny on a bench
      Wonder why he thinks a 2.9KW unmodified genny would barely have enough power to run a 3/4 HP motor (560W)

Comment

Interesting. Strings and mirrors?

Comment

Smoke and mirrors I think yes.

However, here is something that looks promising.
          Changing World Technologies, Inc. - How Can These Changes Happen? - Corporate Partnerships

Doing a little more research I see they withdrew their IPO in 2009 and filed for Chapter 11 protection. Too bad we're not putting money into technology like this along with the billions we wasted supporting solar startups who went belly up and gave us nothing in return except a hole in our wallets.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That would sort of be a "perpetual motion" machine, would it not? (Something that has been sought after for probably the past thousand years.)

While "flight", "germs", "electricity", and even "fire" and the "wheel" were at one time all UNKNOWN, they have come into our reality. Perhaps one day we will be able to achieve a perpetual energy source or machine. But as it stands now, you simply cannot get more energy out of something, than you put in. What we know from mechanics and general physics is that it always takes more power than the resulting gain.

Friction, resistance, drag and gravity itself all have effects on our "machinery". For example, the bicycle is a fairly simple and understandable machine. It is also quite efficient. But once you stop cranking those peddles, the thing will slow down, due to the friction of the bearings, the tires on the roadway, wind resistance, and just plain old gravity.... all forces which will work against the bicyclist. A couple of those forces may well be helpful in the short term if they are sufficient to overcome the other forces. For example gravity (you just happen to be going downhill) or if the wind is at your back, the friction and drag may be slightly overcome to push you a few feet further. But eventually, you will slow to a stop!

That is the way with any machanical or electrical device or a sailing device. Resistance of one nature or another will cause the device to come to a halt or not go in the controlled direction desired. Nothing works for free and no device yet know to science provides more energy or even the same amount of energy that goes into making it work.

Several years ago there was much todo over an experiment that appeared to provide electrical "energy" beyond what was being put into the device. This was the so-called "Cold Fusion" experiment. But, it was soon found that there were certain errors in the experiment and the results were highly questioned. More importantly, was that the experiment could NOT be duplicated or regenerated even in the same lab, given more stringent observation. "Cold Fusion" would have been a miraculous discovery and would likely have led to a vast change in all aspects of our world, providing a cheap and unlimited source of energy at almost every level. Too bad, but once again "physics" has its limitations.

But, who knows what we have yet to discover?

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

But as it stands now, you simply cannot get more energy out of something, than you put in. What we know from mechanics and general physics is that it always takes more power than the resulting gain.

Excluding nuclear fission I guess.

If we couldn't get more energy out of a nuclear reactor then there would be no point in building one, it would be simpler to just generate the electricity using the energy that would go into creating the controlled nuclear reaction. While I will admit it takes a huge amount of energy to operate a nuclear reactor over the complete life cycle of the fuel (that being from the time the ore is mined and refined until it is disposed of), I do think we get more than we put into it, and if you take into account all the waste heat (which you must if you are trying to balance the equation) generated that is not taken advantage of, there is even more energy 'created'. It's no perpetual motion machine I agree, but there is a huge amount of energy produced. I guess if you take into account all the energy that goes into building the plant over the roughly 6 years it on average it has taken to build the units we have now, then it might be breaking even. But you should be then doing this for every other form of generation, be it coal, oil, whatever.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Yes, but in the case of a nuclear reactor, there is the energy that is locked within the fuel itself. There is energy in many different kinds of "fuel" and with any particular discovery we only need to build a "machine" to use that energy. Using "fuel" isn't the same as my quite simplistic explanation as to why we can't put a particular measure of energy in and having a degree of that energy consumed in the process, so that we end up with less energy out.

"Fuel" of whatever type still get used up in the process, and so you don't put a certain amount of say "uranium" in and get more "uranium" out.... just like you don't put a particular level of electrical energy in and get the same or more of that same measurement out. There is always (at least with what we know today), a certain cost required of the mechanism and the work that the mechanism was designed to do. So, whether it be an engine or a reactor or a circuit or even water pressure within a plumbing structure. Resistance requires that what comes out will be less than what goes in.

Efficiency can increase the output of course, but it will always be less than the input. Fuel of course, makes it look like we get something more, but that is only because we don't factor in the full energy potential of the fuel.... I THINK!

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

You're forgetting that not all energy is kinetic, some is Potential, that's theory under which a battery works. look at the nuclear fuel as a Really powerful battery that you wouldn't want to keep in your kitchen drawer, The nuclear power plant is just a method of plugging into that battery and making it safe to use.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Excluding nuclear fission I guess.

If we couldn't get more energy out of a nuclear reactor then there would be no point in building one, it would be simpler to just generate the electricity using the energy that would go into creating the controlled nuclear reaction. While I will admit it takes a huge amount of energy to operate a nuclear reactor over the complete life cycle of the fuel (that being from the time the ore is mined and refined until it is disposed of), I do think we get more than we put into it, and if you take into account all the waste heat (which you must if you are trying to balance the equation) generated that is not taken advantage of, there is even more energy 'created'. It's no perpetual motion machine I agree, but there is a huge amount of energy produced. I guess if you take into account all the energy that goes into building the plant over the roughly 6 years it on average it has taken to build the units we have now, then it might be breaking even. But you should be then doing this for every other form of generation, be it coal, oil, whatever.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

E=mc 2
                    sigpic

Comment

OK, but every 'fuel' is potential energy, be it coal, oil, nat gas. Solar and wind are kinetic forms of energy, the energy they produce exists in that second or minute not in the future unless you use some method to capture the energy and convert it to potential energy.

The silly motor/generator video scam that started this whole thread. Well we all know its a put on of some sort. Frictional and heat losses and other factors will not allow this thing to operate as it appears to in the video. But, through the magic of Hollywood (or in this case a video editor and some creative videography) it certainly might fool someone.

BTW: I think the NRC has rules against keeping nuclear batteries in your kitchen drawer.

And operating a nuclear power does require a license as I'm sure you are all aware. One that is on the line every day with at least one inspector from the NRC on site every day.

How would your day of plumbing go if you had to drag a Plumbing Inspector with you in the truck every minute of every day looking over your shoulder as you worked and if he asks you a question you better have the right answer every time not 9.9 out of 10 times?
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Yes, stored potential. As in all that coal, oil and gas that have been buried down there have the potential to do work. They can only do that work when that potential energy is converted to energy (E=MC 2) So a fuel's potential energy is equal to the energy released because energy can not be created or destroyed, only changed. In the case of say gasoline, we turn it from chemical energy to heat energy when it is compressed and burned in a car engine. The atom is no different. In it's normal state it has the potential to release tremendous energy that can only be released (so far) by breaking the electrical/magnetic bond between the neutron and the proton. The video is a scam. It's right up there with Sasquatch and Roswell Aliens. The second law of thermodynamics makes it impossible.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X