Keurig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keurig

I am thinking about buying one of these, to avoid "take-out" coffee. Anyone have one of these? I have read many online reviews, but would like a bit more advice before shelling out 130 bucks for one.

I was also considering the Tassimo, as its coffee discs are cheaper.

Any advice?

Re: Keurig

We have a Keurig. Don't remember the model and its not visible on the unit, probably in the underside.

Anyway, we've had it for over 3 years. We love it and have bought 4 more for family members and they
    like them too. your per cup cost is going to go up but if you are like my wife and I and don't drink a lot of coffee I think it averages out.

With the old drip style I would make a pot in the morning and have one maybe two cups if I was home all morning. The wife has one cup sometimes, other times she'll have tea which you can do with the Keurig also. so making a full pot would end up wasting at least half the coffee plus it does not taste as good after a few hours on the warmer AND the electric cost of keeping it hot. With the Keurig you can go from a cold start to a hot cup of coffee faster than you can set up your Mr. Coffee to brew a pot. If the Keurig is in standby then you are only 30 seconds away from a hot fresh brewed cup of your favorite coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. If you have a special grind you like there is an adapter that will let you brew a single cup. you put the grounds in the special holder and insert the holder in the machine just like a K-cup. When you're done you open it up and dispose of the grounds and rinse it out.

On the plus side everyone can have what flavor coffee they want and its always just brewed not hours old. So if I want decaf for my second cup in the morning I don't have to brew another pot or half pot, I just make the one cup.

I wish the home models had provision for connecting to cold water line like an ice maker, but you have to go to a office model for that and they run about $50 more.
    So you have to refill the reservoir after about 4 or 5 cups depending on what size cup you brew.

So sort and sweet if you don't drink cup after cup all day the cost will not be prohibitive. Remember you not buying filters anymore and you don't have the used filters and coffee grounds to deal with either, everything is contained in the K-cup and easily disposed with no chance of a mess.

There is a large variety of coffees available. Green Mountain is one of the best places to order online. You can set up automatic shipments or buy as you need it. Their K-cup prices rival BJs or COSTCO and you can get free shipping depending on your order size.

we looked at Tassimo but didn't like the selection available back then and we liked the coffee maker for the Keurig system better also.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed a typo and added a comment
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Good post by Bob D. I think the Keurig is a good machine and with the green mountain k-cups from costco you get a great tasting cup of coffee at a reasonable price $.40 or so a cup. I have noticed the price going up and that's the down side but it goes up on ground coffe as well. I agree that the variety allows folks who like a flavored or caffeine free cup to do so. We bought the accessory that allows you to use regular grind coffee per cup but it seemed weak. Frank

Comment

we have one and i dont use the K cups much we use the accessory to use reg coffee
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          we have one and i dont use the K cups much we use the accessory to use reg coffee
          I tried the My K-Cup accessory but couldn't keep the grounds out of the coffee. So I took it back. Do you have a secret in its use?
          We buy the K-cups from Sam's or Costco. Newman's or Folgers about $37. for a box of 80.

Since I installed a 5 Stage R/0 under the sink, everything tastes better, especially coffee.

Comment

Got the Keurig two years ago and love it a lot. Fresh coffee instantly with little to no cleanup or waste nor coffee grounds to deal with. Each cup has been perfectly brewed and I get a different flavor each day. K-cups are averaging between 45-55 cents per cup so definitely saving versus the local coffee joints. I tried the k-cup accessory but it seems the weak coffee from my old favorite grounds were from the bad design which allowed the hot water to pass too fast. I experimented by stuffing a filter on the bottom to slow down the hot water path and the coffe was better but cleanup issues returned so its back to the k-cup cups. Negatives? I think the Keurig design could use some improvement like improved flushing so hot chocolates don't have a coffee flavor, calcification in the lines within the unit made one machine inoperable after two years of daily use, the reservoir needs to be protected from excess sunlight or else algae grows, etc. otherwise I love my machine!! IMO Costco is one of the best places to buy the unit since it includes the accessories and a lot of starter k-cups to help offset the high initial cost of the machine. Get it for the java or caffeine rush in the morning

Comment

TO keep the machine running well you need to de-scale once in a while. It involves running white vinegar through it, removes mineral deposits on heating element.Frank

Comment

My good friend has one of these units. The "use your own coffee" accessory on his unit works great and definitely brings the cost of a cup of coffe down dramatically.

For cleaning these units or any coffee machine use this product.

Amazon.com: Puro Caff Espresso Coffee Machine Cleaning Powder(20 Oz): Everything Else

Many years ago I did a stint working for the largest supplier of Italian food service equipment in the U.S. This is the product we used for all the espresso and coffee machines. I run it in my own and office coffee machine once a month and the units work like they were brand new after the cleaning.

Comment

Obviously there's no sophistication here... when I want a quick and easy cup of coffee, it "INSTANT" and all I need is some hot water (microwave, torch, campfire, or whatever). Yeah I know, it's sort of pathetic!

But, after a lot of reading and quite a few years of some really BAD coffee (remember all those over-cooked-coffee Perculators?), I decided that a "Fench Press" was the #1 preferred way to enjoy coffee. (I've tried Mr. Coffee's and various other methods and styles over my lifetime.) So this year for Christmas, my son bought me a "French Press". I haven't tried it out yet, but intend to do so this week.

I also not in the current mindset of going to any kind of "flavored" coffee or visiting StarBucks or whatever. Hey, my little brain is still back in the days when a good cup of "drip" was only ten-cents a cup, and you got several free re-fills afterwards (that was when restaurants made nine and half cents profit too). I feel like the kid in "Back to the Future"... when the only choices were "black", "cream and/or sugar".... oh yeah, you could get "deCaff" out of one of the orange rimmed pots too.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to the "French press" and we shall see.

Happy New Year to everyone,

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I have a french press, and it makes great coffee! It takes considerable time to grind beans (french press needs medium grind), boil water in a kettle, transfer the water, and then wait for a steep. Then afterwards, cleanup is needed. This is great for the weekends, or a lazy evening. In the morning I would like to have a faster solution.

The cost of drive though coffee is beyond crazy. Here in ontario, a large at tim hortons is like 1.75 (same for macdonalds). The lines are bananas too- some Tim Hortons are lined up around the block in the AM. I am fed up with it.

Thanks for all the replies guys - I think I'll buy a Kureig this week.

Comment

I have the Keurig and you can buy this little basket thingy for it that you put regular coffee into so you don't have to buy the cups for it so it's a whole lot cheaper per cup and I rarely run out of cups cause I don't use them
                      sigpic

Comment

Because of this thread I went to Target last night and bought one. I got the Special Edition because it had programming features and a clock display. Makes a hot cup of coffee every 15 seconds!!. I was concerned that i had to drag out the big 12 cup drip machine when we had a dinner party. Tried the French Roast this morning but wasnt impressed with the flavor. Ill try a more bold flavor tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                          I have a french press, and it makes great coffee! It takes considerable time to grind beans (french press needs medium grind), boil water in a kettle, transfer the water, and then wait for a steep. Then afterwards, cleanup is needed. This is great for the weekends, or a lazy evening. In the morning I would like to have a faster solution.

The cost of drive though coffee is beyond crazy. Here in ontario, a large at tim hortons is like 1.75 (same for macdonalds). The lines are bananas too- some Tim Hortons are lined up around the block in the AM. I am fed up with it.

Thanks for all the replies guys - I think I'll buy a Kureig this week.
                          When I want/need a quick cup of cheap coffee on the go, that's pretty decent I go to McD's and order the Senior Coffee w/2 creams. $.50 to $.60. They even put the cream in for you. Order 2 if you have a 20oz travel mug.

Comment

Actually, here is an idea:

There is a model of vending Kureig coffee makers used to charge customers.
                            However, the idea here is "charge" yourself or family for coffee as a means to save up a small stash for little niceities later on.
                            Think of it as the better piggy bank.

Comment

My parents have a Tassimo and we have a Keurig. My mother says she wishes she had a Keurig instead because it is harder to find a variety of decaf cups (Dad can no longer have caffeine) for the Tassimo. We love our Keurig (large model B60) and there does seem to be more Keurig cups available in stores than Tassimo cups. Also, it makes a great family gift for "hard to shop for" close friends/relatives.

Be sure to get one of these too. I get annoyed fishing through boxes or a bowl for different cups.

Comment

Working...
                              X