Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: attention commercial vehicle drivers...

There is a grain of truth to most laws. IMHO most gov. reasoning is BS. Special interest, insurance lobby, buddy system, whatever. Many are just a money grab, laws with penalties and fines to trip you up. Government does not give one rats behind about your safety or welfare, its all about control. Granted there are plenty of irresponsible, idiot people around to make the revenue generating laws seem resonable. Been a long slow fade to the countrys present condition and many reasons for it. The news is saying there are 40,000 new laws in place for the new year across the country. Here in Calif. law enforcement will not tow an illegal aliens car because its to much of a hardship on them. Thats a known group for high dui, hit and run incidents.I GUARANTEE you if i'm stopped with no license, registration or insurance my car is gone! Goverment is going to only take from those who have something to take from.

Guess the recent political enviroment has me fired up. Its sad on all fronts Dem and Rep.I Have not given up hope. I'm Trusting the American people will wake up and remember what a great country America is and not let it slip away.

Have a nice day.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
      ............................. I'm Trusting the American people will wake up and remember what a great country America is and not let it slip away
      Don't bet the house on that. What possible indicators have you seen in the last 40+ years that would make you think that could possible happen? The majority of people in this country have long ago become too accustomed to having their thinking done for them to start taking responsibility for their lives now. A sad fact but I'm afraid it's all too true.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

There are far more dangerous distractions to a driver than a cell phone. While I'm in 100% agreement with banning texting while driving, the inclusion of hands-free phone use in the ban simply re-enforces my belief that the overwhelming majority of laws, along with their fines, passed and enforced under the umbrella of 'public safety' are merely a means of revenue generation. Just another form of taxation.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
          Here in Calif. law enforcement will not tow an illegal aliens car because its to much of a hardship on them. Thats a known group for high dui, hit and run incidents.I GUARANTEE you if i'm stopped with no license, registration or insurance my car is gone! Goverment is going to only take from those who have something to take from.
          IF governments (local, state & federal) were truly interested in highway safety, they would be busy enforcing existing laws against cars & drivers that are unlicensed, unregistered (or improperly registered), unsafe or uninsured. But since the bulk of these drivers are criminal aliens, such an endeavor would be revenue negative. And, at least where I live, the more profitable aspects of law enforcement get first priority.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

What chaps my hide is this, if public safety was really the goal, why not all vehicles? And why stop there, what about alcohol? A little is ok, but not too much, why not just ban it, public safety you know!

I have had a mobile phone since 1997, and have been talking in my vehicle for probably over a years worth of minutes, I haven't crashed once from talking on a phone (dare I say texting... I keep those to yup, no, and one word responses if I feel its important enough, and either stopped at a light or traffic, not at 70mph... )

My question is, when do the tables finally turn and LEO's interpret their oath to protect the public by starting to protect them from a over powered government...

Comment

What I don't understand is why ALL auto and commercial vehicles don't build in, as standard equipment, a close range bluetooth docking station for cell phones. There would be a little tray where you laid your phone and it automatically connected via bluetooth to a built-in hands free device. The device would be separate from the stereo so that even basic fleet work trucks ordered with no stereo would still have the hands-free device installed. Make it LAW.

Another point nobody has mentioned: There are a lot of reckless, drunk, or inattentive drivers, unsafe vehicles, and other unsafe conditions on the road that are instantly reported to authorities by vigilant drivers. How? Via CELL PHONE! When I was driving over the road, I remember one time I was driving through a city at night in a rainstorm in heavy traffic and suddenly, amongst the glare and road spray, I was right on the bumper of a slow moving pickup truck pulling a trailer with no tail lights. Like, I nearly, nearly wiped him out. I got on my phone, called the state troopers, and 5 miles up the road I see park lights in the median. I reached over and hit my rotating beacons (I hauled oversized) and that was the signal, Mr. Trooper whipped out and pulled that vehicle over on the spot. That is ONE EXAMPLE of scenarios that play out all over the country, every day. Commercial drivers are out there, all day, every day, and they see things, lots of things. Now, if I had to pull over to call the police, I'd say forget it, so now it's suddenly up the relatively few patrolmen out there to see and act on everything. Well, simply put, they are gonna miss a lot.

There are lots of accidents a day nationwide but very few per capita. A percentage of these is caused by cell phone distraction. A still smaller percentage of cell phone related mishaps involve commercial vehicles. And guess who gets the ax? Thats right, commercial vehicles. Soccer mom can still talk on the phone, eat a McMuffin, and put on her makeup, all at the same time, on the way to work. And if she crashes into a semi, and if the semi driver was on his phone, he'll go to jail and pay huge fines and lose his license and she'll go out to cause more mayhem.

All you ever hear is the BAD of cell phone use while driving, but I believe the good would balance the beam.

Comment

I have used a cell phone since 1984. Back when they were a standard headset cradled in a frigging 10lb battery, and used a 10" flexible antenna. They came with shoulder straps and steel handle just to muscle the thing around.

Personally I don't think the problem is the phones. I think the problem is the lack of common sense. Living out here on the west coast I have seen driving habits change dramatically over the years. When I first learned how to drive in the mid 70's every kid I knew had parents that took the responsibility to train there kids on driving. I personally had logged in excess of 10,000 miles with my dad on a learners permit before I got my license. I grew up with a group of guys that all had muscle cars, or rally cars. Although we were somewhat reckless at times nobody ever got in an accident and nobody every died. Yet, in my neighborhood, which is pretty affluent we have had at least a half dozen kids die in the last eight years from excessive speed, lack of experience, drinking and driving, etc... What I have seen over the last 30 years is (1) a lack of ability of people to drive, (2) the mentality that once they are behind the wheel there surrounded by an impenetrable body of armor, (3) international melting pot of bad driving habits.

With respects to (3), I have had some close Asian and Persian friends over the years that frankly I will not be in a car with them if there driving. I had to stop one Asian friend and take over driving. All I could say to him was, this is not frigging China, you can't drive like that here! I have a couple of friends that are cops and they tell me the same thing. They say they can follow a car for about 1/2 mile and generally find some type of infraction. It's so blatant now that they could spend every hour, of every shift working just one street writing tickets, and never have to deal with anything else.

California has some of the hardest DUI laws in the Nation. The average cost of a DUI in this state, with a minimal lawyer presence is roughly $30,000.00 from conviction to the end of probation. You would think that people know this, they advertise it enough, yet this last New Years weekend, our DUI's arrests for the state were up from the previous year.

We have a law in this state that says the driver can't have a dog sitting on there lap. Living a couple miles from a retirement community I see this happen every single day. If you want to make this problem go away stop fining money. Take the dog away and watch how fast the practice stops.

Want to stop cell phone or texting accidents then either make the fine so large that it B.K.s the person or make the car manufactures responsible for including Hands-free, bluetooth configurations mandatory in all vehicles by XXXX date.

Driving tests, at least here in California are to easy. Seriously all you need to do is be able to fog a mirror and you can get a license. About a year ago I had to go into our local DMV office for some commercial registration paperwork. For the hour that I was there I was just opened mouthed and stunned at the people that were getting licenses. I saw a guy, in his 90's using a walker, barely able to read the eye chart, (had the reflexes of a Sloth) and they proudly renewed his license and everyone at the Counter was congratulating him.

We just passed a new child seat law in California. You guys are going to love this. You now need to be a minimum of 9 years old and at least 4'9" tall before you no longer have to be in a booster seat. I know some woman that are not even that tall, do they need to be in a booster seat to drive there car? Are you going to have to put Granny in a booster now to take her out shopping? Oh, and if its a kid not in the booster, the parent gets not only a ticket but charged with Child endangerment. It's going to be pretty funny to see parents comply with this new rule when the kid is.... let's say 12-16 years of age. Can you imaging the ridicule the kid will get when they get dropped off at school! Instead of being a nanny state, how about we make the car manufactures design a new seat belt configuration that will handle smaller size people. Maybe a clip in addition that pulls the shoulder strap down closer to the shoulders. My Olds, Aurora that I had, from the 90's had this built into the back seat belts. When my kids sat back there we just pulled the adapter out and the shoulder cross over was pulled down over there should and away from there head and neck.
                Last edited by Watersurgeon; 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                  .................................................. ....
                  Want to stop cell phone or texting accidents then either make the fine so large that it B.K.s the person or make the car manufactures responsible for including Hands-free, bluetooth configurations mandatory in all vehicles by XXXX date.
                  Agree with most of what you said with the exception of the above. Don't force me pay more for a vehicle with this technology if I never plan to use it. Things like air bags and seat belts are good common sense things to have in a vehicle but cmon, do we really need to mandate something so little Suzy can talk to her BFF while driving?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    Agree with most of what you said with the exception of the above. Don't force me pay more for a vehicle with this technology if I never plan to use it. Things like air bags and seat belts are good common sense things to have in a vehicle but cmon, do we really need to mandate something so little Suzy can talk to her BFF while driving?
                    I hear ya Dave but if installed in mass (as in every vehicle) the cost would be minimal (<$30). You can buy a hands free BT device for $50 (retail, so manufacturing cost is probably around $10) that clips to your visor and pipes the audio to your FM radio. Integrated into every vehicle I would think this cost could be brought down considerably.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X