Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attention commercial vehicle drivers...

Put down the cell phone, its now illegal for you to use it thanks to big gov nanny... It's effectivetoday and runs 2750.00 bucks... And another 11k to the carrier... Ah, just makes you want to get up in the morning and rush to work doesn't it.... ****ing a.... I quit.

(no I didn't get stopped... Thankfully)

I it wrong that I want to find a private island and tell the rest of the world to f-off? I just want to be left alone damn it....

Re: attention commercial vehicle drivers...

Oh, and push to talk is also band under this new law, but cb radios are not....

Comment

This is a case of "This is why we can't have nice things."
      I can't tell you how many times I almost get ran off the road in my Focus due to some some contractor (Fully loaded) running his jaw on a cell phone.

Think about it, we all know how little government offiicials actually work, if any at all. If they expended the effort it takes to pass such a law, it is usually a good indicator that there was a need for it.

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" I'll propose the following:
      How many people have YOU been following too closely, or weave side to side, all while on the phone, and just not happen to notice?

Keep in mind, you do not have to answer to me or anyone, but you do need to ask yourself. It might be a good idea to ask for feedback from others whom do notice how you drive. Don't forget, it is often the insurance companies that push for such legislation, and they are armed with statistics, accident logs, police reports, hospital bills, and most damning of all: Traffic cameras.

Comment

Its ill√©gal to drive anything while on √* cell phone here... But i Can relate.. redtape rules and fines do sick for th√© average working Guy..

Comment

While I totally agree that govt. intrusions can be a pain and are often excessive, in this case there is ample evidence that driving and using a cell phone at the same time is a horrible and very dangerous idea. I think the fines should have been higher and also include a mandatory loss of license after the first offense. The attitude of "I can do anything I want anytime I want" is a primary reason why there are so many intrusive govt. rules and regulations. If more people practiced plain old common sense then over regulation wouldn't be necessary.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

As long as I can drive My 18 Yd. dump truck Naked, I'm happy as a clam.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              but if you get stopped and ordered to get you you will be charged with exposing your self to the officer and making unwanted advances, You better at least wear a thong, then ever one will be safe, happy driving,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just how happy is a clam? I'm thinking of the one heading for chowder.....

Comment

Thanks Tool that thought will definitly help with my new year's resolution to stay on my diet, because I think I lost my appetite for a year. Don't forget to wear your seat belt.

Comment

News Release - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

i thought the law went in to effect last year.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      but if you get stopped and ordered to get you you will be charged with exposing your self to the officer and making unwanted advances, You better at least wear a thong, then ever one will be safe, happy driving,
                      No Cop wants to wrestle with a crazy Naked Man !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        Just how happy is a clam? I'm thinking of the one heading for chowder.....
                        doug a loto clams on Cape Cod, all Happy

Comment

I'm not so sure about all this. I think they should really crack down on inattentive driving, like raise the fines and all, so that people who weave and wobble while talking on their phones would get the shaft but responsible people with the ability and self control to put driving first could be considered responsible safe drivers. There are some people who are so air-headed that adjusting the cruise control takes 110% of their concentration. What are you gonna do, ban cruise controls? When you look at the thousands and millions of cars on the road, either on the interstates or on city streets, it is amazing to me how few accidents there actually are. It says a lot about the abilities of the human race. Again, thousands upon thousands of cars, passing, meeting, merging, turning across lanes of oncoming traffic, travelling at very high speeds on interstates, often mere feet from each other, and in an average community we can literally go for days and weeks without seeing even a fender bender. Do we really need to freak out about statistics? Sure, there are going to be an increasing number of accidents, population continues to grow and there are more and more cars on the road.

Comment

Kendall hit my point to objecting this law right on the head. There already is laws for inattentive driving and distracted driving. Hit those people with those laws who are not paying attention, not those who respect the road but do have the ability to drive and talk on a phone at the same time. Instead, it penalizes those who understand that the phone comes second to the road, those who answer quickly and make calls short, and do not stare at the screen for miles on end. We have enough laws, let the police enforce the laws as they feel necessary, the two existing laws covered this problem, no need for additional laws that leave no judgement room on either end.

Comment

We have a friend who was a professor at Ohio State and he studied statistics, I don't know what his field of expertise was but he delved into statistics of any type. He told us that statistics can be manipulated to suit the fancy of anyone. For instance, he told us how the medical field was up in arms because the number of hearth failure related deaths was way up from 50 years ago. Then he went on to explain that it was because of several things, one was that there was a much higher population than 50 years ago, and two because the medical field had found a cure for so many other ailments that used to be fatal. For example, lots of women used to die in childbirth, polio and whooping cough claimed many lives, people even died from influenza, and many, many other things. Now, all those ailments have been conquered but people still have to die from something, so when the old ticker quits ticking due to old age it is often attributed to heart failure. He said that per capita the heart failure rates are lower now than they ever have been, and besides that people are living longer than they used to as a general rule. We aren't really going downhill, but statistics would have us to believe the worst.

That is why I have very little faith in statistics of this sort, and that is why when it comes to issues like this such as safe driving I like to look at the big picture instead of the one photo of a fatality caused by someone texting. We all know texting while driving is unsafe. You don't have to tell me again. Another thing that gets me is that the transportation industry takes it in the shorts every turn of the way, there are WAY more laws governing commercial vehicles than personal automobiles, yet they are the ones who get hit with another crippling law. As a commercial driver, when you just paid a ticket because the U-joint on your steering column had a tiny bit of play in it and you pass an old Toyota with bald tires, a busted out tail light, that dog-tracks badly, it tends to tick you off. Who is unsafe here?

Oh, and has anyone ever thought of this: Is it more unsafe to have drivers driving down the road talking on a phone, or is it more unsafe to have a commercial vehicle parked on the shoulder every half mile because his phone rang?

Comment

Working...
                              X